Anyone from IT startUp ecosystem ?

Just placing my startup experience here.

For a little over 1 year, I was a part of a startup started by my school friends and join is as an employee. It was not funded, no seed or series. I withdrew just 20% of my original salary. We were 5 tech people and 1 sales(incl founders). We were a gamification startup, first of its kind in india and at one point were really taking it to our US competition (we poached 1 large client with minimal effort). We were also voted the best tech startup in inTech50 2015.

Things were (and still are) tough. Initially we had no clients and in a product space which is not well defined, it was not easy to decide your path. We used to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day and barely took a 15min break during the day. The team only spoke for about 20-25 min in whole day and the rest of the time was spent on coding. At the end of about 6 months, we had a solid product. In terms of technology, we were far better than most established cos. In Jan of 2015 we had our first paying client and about 700,000 users. Remember, this was our first client, anyone from the tech side would know the problems in scaling, but it turned out to pretty good for us and we managed to scale very well. Soon, we got more clients and the current count is 5. We are a SaaS, B2B business which generally takes time to grow. Even then its not a lot of money, by any stretch of imagination. We (the company) made around 1 lakh a month via revenues, which would get consumed in salaries(very low ones), office expenses and server costs. Later on, near april of 2015, we had approached a bunch of investors and some had shown interest. We were closing a seed round at a ridiculous valuation (indian investors, you suck) but had to go for it to gain momentum. At this point, things for me started getting sour.

A little more on the background. The company's founder was a very good friend of mine since childhood and we had been in constant touch even when he moved to a different city. He was a master programmer. I don't think i have seen anyone like him. He knows over 30 different programming languages and at depth. He codes complex pieces with ease, stuff even people with above average intelligence would struggle. He had worked at CERN during college days but came back to start something he enjoyed. He was an avid gamer, hence the idea of gamification appealed to him and that's why he chose it. He, along with 2 other friends from college started the company in 2011 while in college. So it took them almost 4 years to land their first client. This is not always the case as these guys were true programmers and not sales folk, so what mattered to them was engineering and not money.

They were working from delhi initially but came to bangalore when they went broke. That is when I decided I wanted to join them and did so without too much thinking. I left my job and join them immediately. Did not say much about the extremely low salary and did not discuss equity, I though these guys are friends and we will figure it out later. BAD MOVE. Never do this. When the time came and we were closing to a seed round, we started formalizing these things and that's when I saw a huge difference in my expectations and their offer. So, as many other things in the startup world that just happen, I rage quit and left. The company did never eventually go though the seed round (the investor turned out to be a jackass) but now I think they have given up running behind investors and are pursuing more and more clients.

So from my experience, I have learned 2 things.
1. Keep all equity related discussion right up front. Keep no grey here.
2. Believe in your team. If you don't think your team can do it, don't even start. This is because things WILL get tough and at that point if you raise the issue that someone is incompetent at their work, it won't end well (either you will seem like a dick or the other will quit).

Finally, startup world is hardly as rosy as most newspaper articles/news channels project. I hate TVF pitches for this too. Its good entertainment but they make startups look so trivial and only challenge in a startup is funding. Everytime I here a guy in a large IT company say 'tu beer hai' just pisses me off. You got no idea what your talking about.

PS: this is the company - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlyfe

Last edited:
We were closing a seed round at a ridiculous valuation (indian investors, you suck)
Honestly I'm not surprised. Even some well-known "angel" investors do not seem so angelic in reality.
Investors do their best to gain as much as they can, and they usually win when the company is in a desperate position which I think happened in your case. The best move here, IMO, is to immediately back-off!! <- also a #ProTip by successful founders of reputed startups.

@rajan1311 can you please share the valuation process and the value details by PM? Thanks.

I have a question, what if these "successful" companies suddenly want to quit? What if the founders say they don't want to do it anymore nor do they want anyone to handle their work? like just quit and dissolve the company for no reason. Don't ask why.
What will happen/be the outcome? I only have a theory.

Already been there with the first startup I worked with. Owners decided to do something else. Shut down a very profitable business in less than a day.

Also, seen multiple times investors sign a term sheet then later back out citing "new evidence come to light" type excuses.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know the exact conversations that the founders had with these investors (I was never there, but was briefed after their meetings). Guys at Helion, were somewhat fair, at least they told us clearly that we don't know much about your market (gamification) hence we cant go further. Other, small time players hardly took effort to understand the business. For them, any start-up, no matter what business they do or what their current condition is, if its seed, they will give your company a 1-3Cr valuation and will look to take 15-25% stake. Its very difficult to find a guy who knows what he is talking about. I am not saying they don't exist, but they are hard to find.

Also, just to clarify, I hold nothing against my friends at playlyfe. These things are natural and they would obviously have a reason on the other side. its just my advice to guys here looking to start up, that please keep these things clear at the start so that its easier to focus on the actual goal.

On a positive note, another friend of mine seems to have got a good start. Varun (CEO of Jobspire) was a passionate gamer (we played a lot of Dota), but also like to code and design. He had opened a bunch of companies during his time in Manipal and tried a lot of stuff. His team recently secured a good $262k seed round and are doing all the right things to move forward. If interested, you can read about their experiences on their blog: http://blog.jobspire.net/

Last edited:
@rajan1311 first of all, thanks for the brief details you have enlighten us with [emoji56]

2 questions i would like to get an answer :

1) how much in real time is the monthly expenditure of the cloud server is in indian rupees ? Means like u have 7lacs user so what's your server cost only ? What it tomorrow you get double the users ? How to calculate this stuff ? Plus which cloud platform is been used !

2) technically how difficult is to transfer a product from shared server to a cloud server, if you or anyone here can answer !

@avi exactly.
@princeoo7 its totally depends on your application. I think they pay around $700/month on AWS but these things are very app specific, cant stress enough. As for deployment, not sure, never worked with it. However, our deployment procedure had become very streamlined and we have also achieved 0 down time upgrades. Good architecture and use of right technologies can really make a huge difference.

@rajan1311 first of all, thanks for the brief details you have enlighten us with [emoji56]

2 questions i would like to get an answer :

1) how much in real time is the monthly expenditure of the cloud server is in indian rupees ? Means like u have 7lacs user so what's your server cost only ? What it tomorrow you get double the users ? How to calculate this stuff ? Plus which cloud platform is been used !

2) technically how difficult is to transfer a product from shared server to a cloud server, if you or anyone here can answer !

1. Use the AWS calculator to get an estimate, you need to know your raw figures - http://aws.amazon.com/calculator (Similar calculations can be done for other datacenter hosts or cloud vendors). Make sure you choose the right location. For India you may want to use Singapore (closest).

2. It is highly dependent on what you have built. E.g. If you have a software that works well on Windows Server, you may think it could be easy & fast to migrate it to Azure, but at the same time, it would not difficult at all to move it to AWS. Further, see what the cloud vendors offer and what suits you. I know of clients who have setups on AWS as well as Azure since that is what suits their needs and applications. Further, most cloud vendors have a very clear pay per use policy with transparent billing.

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/vm-import/ (If you have the server as a VM, direct import to AWS and get going)

http://cloudacademy.com/blog/public-cloud-war-aws-vs-azure-vs-google/ - More details about the 3 currently well regarded cloud players.

Be ready for a lot of hectic work (which can ultimately add a lot of value to your job experience) and a lot of disappointments on the money front. Start-ups often fail and you might end up not getting the remuneration that you were promised and sometimes you may even have to even forgo salaries that you already earned. There are also cases, where a founders of companies can screw you even when they are successful.

Then there are also the a$$holes who would try to screw up your career if you ever try to leave them for another company. A colleague of mine left a startup for another company after he was not being paid salary for several months. When the other company tried to contact them for background check, they tried to convince them that he is a fraud who never worked for them. Fortunately for him, he had been getting salary slips and deposits were made to his account, so he was able to convince them he really worked for them.

Start ups can be very rewarding for your career from a work experience perspective and occasionally on the money front as well, but it is not for the faint of heart as its also often ridden with disappointments and back stabbings.

I would also advice never to join any startup that is founded by your friends or school/college/office mates. Rest assured that 99% of the time, its going to leave a very bad taste in your mouth (regardless of whether the company folds over or is a raging success) when you find out one day that they can and will screw you over without blinking an eyelid if its going to earn them more money.

I have got countless such offers from friends, college mates and ex colleagues, managers to join the companies that they founded, but I have always declined them.

Back