All OS Anyone looking forward to the Mi Pad 5? Pls share experiences with the Mi Pad too if used by you

nemo_online

Disciple
In these pandemic times, I see there is a demand for tablets again. The Mi pad 5 was just launched in China in 3 variations and although we don't if it is going to come to India, are you guys looking forward to it? Also, how was the original Mi Pad? Any users ? Experiences?
Samsung S6 lite did really well and now it is perpetually out of stock. I wonder how the Mi 5 Pad would compare to the Apple iPad if it launches in India.
I feel there is a good space for a decent productivity tablet in India for students, artists and office goers who need to write, take notes, draw and type which doesn't cost upwards of 50k, somewhere in the bracket of 30-45k. What do you think?

iPad 8th gen would still beat any Android tablet hands down in battery department.
Recently got an iPad. If iPad is not used, the battery level stays at same place.
No android can match this (atleast till now). And iPad feels so smooth to use. I would rather spend more and buy an iPad ehich will not slow down in 4-5 years than an Android tab which will become slow very soon

iPad 8th gen would still beat any Android tablet hands down in battery department.
Recently got an iPad. If iPad is not used, the battery level stays at same place.
No android can match this (atleast till now). And iPad feels so smooth to use. I would rather spend more and buy an iPad ehich will not slow down in 4-5 years than an Android tab which will become slow very soon
I can second that
Have both Andros tablet and an ipad 8th.
True about ipad, awesome battery, great smooth os
Totally worth it

Do iPads have good native ad blocking and a good browser? (Please don't say Safari)
I want to buy and iPad Pro, but most of my friends who moved from Android tabs to iPad say its a badly handicapped device (software).

Do iPads have good native ad blocking and a good browser? (Please don't say Safari)
I want to buy and iPad Pro, but most of my friends who moved from Android tabs to iPad say its a badly handicapped device (software).

Handicapped depends on what you intend to do with your device. In general, apple Is walled, doesn't have file manager similar to android and may not be good for power users who want their tablets to act like laptop.

But if you are buying for media consumption, web surfing, video calls, general apps and gaming then iPad is good. I don't do serious work which requires keyboard on my iPad.

Even you can download Adguard Home and if you have Pi or similar device, set it up locally and point your iPads Adguard IP to, you will be sorted with Ads. Its similar to piHole.

Also you can try Brave, its available on iOS and iPadOS - it does ad blocking OOB and has extra features towards privacy oriented folks

Handicapped depends on what you intend to do with your device. In general, apple Is walled, doesn't have file manager similar to android and may not be good for power users who want their tablets to act like laptop.

But if you are buying for media consumption, web surfing, video calls, general apps and gaming then iPad is good. I don't do serious work which requires keyboard on my iPad.
Why no serious work? Is it bad for keyboard work? How is it for lots of typing, note-taking, basically if you want to use it as a mobile version of a laptop for university work? What are the grey areas according to you?

Please elaborate on the software handicaps if you can. I have never used the Apple OS but curious as there seems to be a lot of divided opinions out there.

I'm super excited for the Mi Pad 5, ipad was the only real option in 30k range but I am not a fan of apple's os. It will be an instant buy if it launches at around 30k.
Yes, seems exciting considering that there is no sign of Samsung S6 lite returning in stock.

Last edited:
Please elaborate on the software handicaps if you can. I have never used the Apple OS but curious as there seems to be a lot of divided opinions out there.
Well, here are a few I have heard of but am not 100% sure if they are indeed true -
1) Ad Blocking - I am used to the web without ads via ad blocking software, the most effective ones are not available on iPad OS.
2) File Management - Cut/Copy paste with basic file management is a necessity, for PDFs, audiobooks, notes. Things like copy progress, moving files is not simple on iPad OS.
3) Browser - I am told that apple only allows WebKit engine on their devices, so every browser is basically a reskinned Safari.

YES……Brave Browser…Out of the Box block AD, No Config needed.

I’m using iPad Air 3 and 11 inch Pro 2020 with BT Kbd and Mouse….Default browser is Brave.

Last edited:
YES……Brave Browser…Out of the Box block AD, No Config needed.

I’m using iPad Air 3 and 11 inch Pro 2020 with BT Kbd and Mouse….Default browser is Brave.
He meant system wide ad blocking.

Have an ipad air which is lying unused for almost 3 years now.

Great hardware but pathetic software.

It is just so painful to use.
Even simple tasks like changing home launcher is so complicated I just gave up. I hate the keyboard on ios, first of all when you will go to their app store, so few good keyboard options are there. On top of that once I switched to a new keyboard, it became so slow. Every time the new keyboard will come up so slowly. Basically apple has not even figured out how to have other apps work well for their os and their own keyboard app has almost no flexibility options and is rudimentary compared to my Android swiftkey

I couldn't think of more basic flaws than the home launcher and keyboard issues. There are many other ways that ios is handicapped. People have already mentioned file explorer. Imagine having such issues in 2021! I have to go and manually click on top left of many apps to go back. For some reason the back gesture is not supported in some apps. On top of that the back gesture itself is so retarded and you guessed it, live with it or throw your tablet.

If you like being told by a company what all your device cannot do or how it should look, you can opt for ios.

apple is like that controlling girlfriend/partner/bf that is fine till you do only what they say but freak out as soon as you have a backbone.

Last edited:
system wide ad blocking
AFAIK Adguard Home, PiHole does that. These tools are DNS level blocking tools.

NextDNS is also one of the alternative - which works on MAC, iOS and iPadOS and provide freemium offering.

PS: I'm running PiHole on raspberry pi and enjoying iPad Pro with system wide ad blocking.
In case if you don't have spare hardware to run pihole/adguard. I'll recommend try using NextDNS.
It will provide you low latency ad blocking + tracking protection on the go

Back