AOC 24" lcd monitor review.

Introduction

I was looking for two 24" lcd display one for my cousin and one for myself. He is into gaming and movies (like most 14 yrs usually are), so a TN panel with good response time is what I was looking for. I wanted to get him a 22" but he insisted on a 24".

So after a long search, finally short listed Dell E248WFP, Samsung 245BW and AOC 416V. Dell quoted 24k, Samsung was not available and got a nice price of 19k for the AOC. My friend had recently bought this and I was really impressed by its performance.

So went for the AOC 416V. It's actual market price is 20.5k + VAT (that brings it around 21k including the taxi fare :D ) I got it for 19k inclusive of all, through my friend and his "contacts".

Okies......too much talking, lets get down to the business.

[BREAK=Packaging]

Packaging

The box is pretty small for a 24" lcd and its the usual brown box with details of its contents like monitor size, resolution, weight etc.

The packaging is pretty compact with the display protected from the top and bottom by thermocol.

The package includes:

24" lcd display
Stand/Base
VGA cable
DVI cable
Power cord
Driver CD (The manual is included in the disk/no paper manual)
A clamp thingy for cable management.
Printed insruction as to how to setup the monitor.
A leaflet mentioning the the display TCO'03 certified.

[BREAK=Initial Impressions]

Now the monitor itself.

It has the basic VGA and DVI input and the screen is covered with a thin plactic sheet to protect the screen.

The monitor in action :D

The OSD bottons are located in the front which include source, auto, forward, back, menu and power button.

For details about the specification for 416V visit the AOC site : :: AOC India, " From the Worlds Largest manufacturers of Computer Monitors "

The monitor is pre-callibrated for you to just connect and happy computing.

[BREAK=Further Tests, Gaming and Movies]

As for test I ran the everest monitor daigonostics and displaymate. The colors are simply amazing and the text is sharp. There is a ever slight mismatch in the grey levels but compared to the regular TN panel this one is a level above others. As the spec. mention the 16.7M colors difference can been seen compared to the regular TN panels 16.2 colors. I know it is done through dithering but still the image quality is better than the Samsung 940BW and Benq FP92W which I had sold recently.

The Viewing angles are good, keeping in mind that it's a TN panel and if you move beyond 155-160 degree the image does start to become haze. But if you sit in front of the display like I am used to, then there is no problem.

As for ghosting and blurry image, there is none. The 5ms response time does help. I tried COD4, Gears of War and Test Drive Unlimited.

Backlight bleeding is non existence and didnot find any dead/stuck pixel.

For movies I used the HD showacse video and few HD movies like Borne Ultimatum, Transformers all 1080p

This is how a 720p video looks on a 1920*1200 display

[BREAK=Conclusion]
Overall, the monitor is value for money which saisfies all you regular, gaming and movie usage. Moreover the price is good. I am also waiting to get a 24 incher for myself and after seeing this one in action I am also thinking of getting one.

To summarize:

PROS
Large work space
Vivid colors
Good viewing angle, keeping in mind that it's a TN panel.
Lots of setting for those who a ready to callibrate the display to its last details.
Easy to understand OSD.
Very thin bezel.
No ghosting or blurry image.
No backlight bleeding.

CONS
No height or swiel adjustment.
Less viewing angle compared to the MVA,PVA etc panels.(But not a issue for me)

If I have missed some points please feel free to ask me.

Thank you for reading through my review.

Nice review :) . Not to spoil the thread, but I got a quote of 19k with 5 yrs warranty shipped to delhi for the Dell 24", just waiting to see if I can get it lower.

Neat review :) Enjoy the movies @ 1080p :D

oh and if u r getting one for urself, u are better off with Dell ;)

Reps added...

nice ! me waiting for 24 inchers to drop to the 15k price point, no use getting a 22 inch as its JUST short of 1080 res

enjoy the purchase :)

ah the AOC link also mentions its HDCP ready and "Vista compliant" :) just doesnt have all the other ports like svideo, component, hdmi etc

So for those of us planning to get an "affordable" (sub rs 20k for me) 24-nich (TN panel), are these the only 2 options at the moment? AOC and Dell? Any other 24 TNs available in India?

greenhorn said:
nice ! me waiting for 24 inchers to drop to the 15k price point, no use getting a 22 inch as its JUST short of 1080 res

X2 Same here :eek:hyeah: ....

Congratulations for the Display :clap:

greenhorn said:

Same here man.but its becoming a long impatient wait for me cos like u my deadline is also 15k.and yes as per everyone i asked they are reffering to dell over aoc.is it worth or just the name that i am cofused about.is dell the best choice at the moment?:huh:

What are the options for 24" MVA, PVA or S-IPS panels.... And what differences you found b/w 720p & 1080p while running in this monitor.....

Nice review, and very timely for me.. will be in the market for an entry level 24 incher in april... nice to know that an alternative to the E248WFP exists..

now all some one has to do is review the Dell and samsung

How is AOC in reputation for RMA/support issues?

@soggy: are you saying there is a samsung 24 inch TN panel available in the indian market as an alternative to the dell and aoc? whats the model number and suggested retail price?

i was referring to the Samsung 245BW mentioned by tigga in his review - i have not yet seen it in india either.... but a review of a similar product always helps :)

The AOC uses samsung BTN III panel, read it at some chinese site. This is the panel LTM240CT01 http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...fmly_id=603&fmly_id=609&partnum=LTM240CT01/03

The Samsung 245B uses this same panel.

As for RMA/warranty my friend has a 19" AOC lcd. It had some problem with the DVI cable, he called them and the next day the technician came........checked the problem and replaced the cable at no cost. Anyhow, the display is within warranty.

racy1 said:
What are the options for 24" MVA, PVA or S-IPS panels.... And what differences you found b/w 720p & 1080p while running in this monitor.....

Other option that's currently available in the market could be LGL245WP it's an MVA panel, Acer 26" it's a PVA panel priced 37k + tax or wait for Dell E2408WFP.

There's not a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Both look extremely good but 1080p does look crisp than 720p. The monitor scales the video perfectly, even DVDs look ok.

But 1080p does takes the first spot. :hap2:

Back