PC Peripherals APC 1000VA blows up , need replacement advice

few days ago my APC server ups gave up. i was told it was a phase issue. so i called the electrician and got the polarity reversed. today, APC's RMA guy plugged in the new UPS he brought and as soon as he switched the power on, boom. i can only think of one explanation - their quality has degraded and they love to blame the users.

Re: APC 1000VA blows up need replacement Advice pls

sam000 said:
Now i am cursing myself for blowing Rs 15000 on APC :mad:

The APC cost 15K?? Wow.. that is a lot of money. IMO, a 600VA Home UPS with a 100Ah battery costs about 8K and offers much better back-up & protection than the APC boxes. For the record, I had two APC 800VA units before, am using one as a foot-rest and the other was a door stop before it disappeared mysteriously. More than the quality of the units (one lasted just over a year and the other about 18 months), the local service for APC was pathetic - I will never buy another APC product if I can help it. Enough said.

I now use a 800VA Xenon Pure Sine-Wave UPS with a 160Ah battery that supports my office cabin - total cost with battery trolley was Rs 14K. It gives more than 4 hours of back-up for my PC, AIO Printer, Cordless Phone, DSL Modem & Wireless Router. I also have a similar setup at home that powers Samsung 46" LCD, HTPC, DVD Player, BriteView Media Player, Nintendo Wii, Stereo Receiver, DSL Modem & Router - never tested actual back-up time, but once saw "Bourne Ultimatum" full movie during a power cut. The one in my office is 3.5 years old and the one in my home is just over 2 years old - never faced any issues with either of them. I got the same setup for my parents also.

Cheers.

nish_higher said:
few days ago my APC server ups gave up. i was told it was a phase issue. so i called the electrician and got the polarity reversed. today, APC's RMA guy plugged in the new UPS he brought and as soon as he switched the power on, boom. i can only think of one explanation - their quality has degraded and they love to blame the users.

In my case they came and checked everything and said my wiring and all are good no problem on my end.....after i started claiming RMA every month thats how often it would go kaput believe it or not.....they suddenly started blaming everything on me....they did not even listen to their own engineer who came and tested my house.....they told me to take a screenshot of any error message the powerchute software said and they will send it to the factory and all.....did all they asked for still nothing happened :(.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

tejaswy said:
The APC cost 15K?? Wow.. that is a lot of money.

nah the APC cost me Rs 7500....the rest was spent by me foolishly on digital stabilizer to protect the APC which i bought in the hope that it will protect my PC....all of this was done solely on the advise of APC engineers themselves.....never in my dreams i thought APC itself would require protection lol the worst part is even that did not work which is pretty shocking for the world's best UPS maker lol .

tejaswy said:
IMO, a 600VA Home UPS with a 100Ah battery costs about 8K and offers much better back-up & protection than the APC boxes. For the record, I had two APC 800VA units before, am using one as a foot-rest and the other was a door stop before it disappeared mysteriously. More than the quality of the units (one lasted just over a year and the other about 18 months), the local service for APC was pathetic - I will never buy another APC product if I can help it. Enough said.

Yeah me too will never recommend their product ever.

tejaswy said:
I now use a 800VA Xenon Pure Sine-Wave UPS with a 160Ah battery that supports my office cabin - total cost with battery trolley was Rs 14K. It gives more than 4 hours of back-up for my PC, AIO Printer, Cordless Phone, DSL Modem & Wireless Router. I also have a similar setup at home that powers Samsung 46" LCD, HTPC, DVD Player, BriteView Media Player, Nintendo Wii, Stereo Receiver, DSL Modem & Router - never tested actual back-up time, but once saw "Bourne Ultimatum" full movie during a power cut. The one in my office is 3.5 years old and the one in my home is just over 2 years old - never faced any issues with either of them. I got the same setup for my parents also.

Cheers.

Xeon UPS will keep that in mind :).

OK guys time to grow up learning facts of life

UPS "Does not give protection from High Voltage" no matter it is APC or PENTAGON or F117 UPS ..it save pc from slight fluctuations 50V approx

So will automatic stabilizer i need in series ?

> Nope Automatic Stabs are too sluggish to make decisions while HV come

My suggestion :

Get a MANUAL AUTO CUT stabi .. (very rare to get now a days ) ..saves my Equipment all the time .

Back