Apple Airpods 2 in 2021-2022 for android/pc

Ssreek

Adept
I never bought any tws till now. I tried some of my friends' tws earbuds from boat, noise brands. I never felt them comfortable.
So I was suggested to take apple's tws as they are 'known to be the best'.

Airpods pro seems way out of my budget, so is airpods 2, which usually goes 8-10k now and then, still worth now??
I think it's been more than 2 years since it was launched.

My main priorities are connection stability and audio quality.
By the way, I use only android phones, and windows pc (bt 5.2), so please also tell me if it's worth getting airpods for android.

Open to suggestions from other brands in anything from 2k to 10k price range.
My ears are a bit tiny so those bulky ones like sony, boat 441 may not be comfortable. I am guessing maybe stem type buds would be better fit.

Airpods 2 are better with Apple devices. If you're going to use them for Android or PC then you should get something else as their sound quality is not that great according to their price

I have the AirPo Pro and I can definitely vouch for it. AirPods 3 should be the same in terms of comfort. The older AirPods felt uncomfortable and fell off easily. I suggest you try it out in person before buying it. It depends on the shape of your ears.

The AirPods work fine with Windows and most Androids. Some have an issue with the volume that they try to control the “soft volume” instead of the device volume but It worked fine for me. You will not be able to update the firmware or customise the button functionality without an apple device. You can just connect to a friend’s iPhone to do this.

I have the AirPo Pro and I can definitely vouch for it. AirPods 3 should be the same in terms of comfort. The older AirPods felt uncomfortable and fell off easily. I suggest you try it out in person before buying it. It depends on the shape of your ears.

The AirPods work fine with Windows and most Androids. Some have an issue with the volume that they try to control the “soft volume” instead of the device volume but It worked fine for me. You will not be able to update the firmware or customise the button functionality without an apple device. You can just connect to a friend’s iPhone to do this.
I really "want" pros..but it's way out of my budget...Otherwise would have taken it without doubt...There is no possibility of trying out in person. There are not available for demo easily.
Also thanks for taking about "soft volume"...Hearing it for the first time. My dad has iphone so I don't have trouble updating firmware when needed.

I didnt know airpods worked with androids. How do they pair? Like normal bluetooth?
I am guessing your question was sarcastic :p..

Airpods 2 are better with Apple devices. If you're going to use them for Android or PC then you should get something else as their sound quality is not that great according to their price
That's the problem...I am not able to figure out what is that "something else"...There are too many devices, too many shady youtuber reviews, but can't decide which suits my purpose...

I really "want" pros..but it's way out of my budget...Otherwise would have taken it without doubt...There is no possibility of trying out in person. There are not available for demo easily.
Also thanks for taking about "soft volume"...Hearing it for the first time. My dad has iphone so I don't have trouble updating firmware when needed.

I am guessing your question was sarcastic :p..

That's the problem...I am not able to figure out what is that "something else"...There are too many devices, too many shady youtuber reviews, but can't decide which suits my purpose...
Jabra 65T?

I never bought any tws till now. I tried some of my friends' tws earbuds from boat, noise brands. I never felt them comfortable.
So I was suggested to take apple's tws as they are 'known to be the best'.

Airpods pro seems way out of my budget, so is airpods 2, which usually goes 8-10k now and then, still worth now??
I think it's been more than 2 years since it was launched.

My main priorities are connection stability and audio quality.
By the way, I use only android phones, and windows pc (bt 5.2), so please also tell me if it's worth getting airpods for android.

Open to suggestions from other brands in anything from 2k to 10k price range.
My ears are a bit tiny so those bulky ones like sony, boat 441 may not be comfortable. I am guessing maybe stem type buds would be better fit.
I use the AP2, APP, AP Max - and Jabra 65t and Pixel Buds
As much as I would like to recommend the AP2, it is hard to do so for usage with Android and Windows - The premium that goes towards the SoC they use is negated as they will work as well (or as bad) as any other BT headset.

I would not recommend the Jabra 65t (or 75t) at all - prone to connection drops and interference, overhyped SQ and really bad microphones

The Pixel Buds A series is a decent VFM choice for use with non iOS or iOS mixed for other devices for a couple of reasons:
Reasonably comfy, reasonably good (but not great ) SQ, one of the better microphones.. No blatant shortcoming or flaws

And if multi device usage is important for you (which it seems to be) - they allow switching to be invoked directly from device 3 (or 4) even if connected to device 1 and 2
Other than Airpods on Apple devices, I have not seen this on any other BT headset

Only gripe I can think of is on ergonomics - putting them on is a bit involved because of the wing tip.
Not a bother in usage for music - but if you are trying to pull them out of case to take a call, they take a while to put on as against the AP2 /APP which slot into the ears without a fuss

I really "want" pros..but it's way out of my budget...Otherwise would have taken it without doubt...There is no possibility of trying out in person. There are not available for demo easily
I understand. I’ve tried Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2, Jabra 65t, Sony WF1000XM3 and some Sennheisers (I think it was the momentum). I didn’t like them compared to the AirPods overall. Stores mostly don’t have demo units. Not sure if it’s a good idea for hygiene reasons (especially during the pandemic). Best if you can borrow from a friend or colleague. Just clean it well before returning lol.

You might want to try your luck with the used market. I got a week old AirPods Pro for 15k. He bought it during a sale but preferred headphones so he decided to sell it off. You might be able to get AP3 for cheaper than this.

Make sure it’s not a fake if buying from a stranger. Do not buy without a bill from a reputed store, Check serial number for warranty and connect with an iPhone to see if the AirPods specific options are present and serial on the Box matches the one reported in the settings.

I use the AP2, APP, AP Max - and Jabra 65t and Pixel Buds
As much as I would like to recommend the AP2, it is hard to do so for usage with Android and Windows - The premium that goes towards the SoC they use is negated as they will work as well (or as bad) as any other BT headset.

I would not recommend the Jabra 65t (or 75t) at all - prone to connection drops and interference, overhyped SQ and really bad microphones

The Pixel Buds A series is a decent VFM choice for use with non iOS or iOS mixed for other devices for a couple of reasons:
Reasonably comfy, reasonably good (but not great ) SQ, one of the better microphones.. No blatant shortcoming or flaws

And if multi device usage is important for you (which it seems to be) - they allow switching to be invoked directly from device 3 (or 4) even if connected to device 1 and 2
Other than Airpods on Apple devices, I have not seen this on any other BT headset

Only gripe I can think of is on ergonomics - putting them on is a bit involved because of the wing tip.
Not a bother in usage for music - but if you are trying to pull them out of case to take a call, they take a while to put on as against the AP2 /APP which slot into the ears without a fuss

Haven't even thought about pixel buds till now...I will look into it..
My main concern is connection stability and audio quality...All the other things like phone calls, multi device feature(would be good but deal breaker for my usage), bass boost etc are not of priority..thnks fr very good info.
What would you say about comfort level of AP2 and APP?

I understand. I’ve tried Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2, Jabra 65t, Sony WF1000XM3 and some Sennheisers (I think it was the momentum). I didn’t like them compared to the AirPods overall. Stores mostly don’t have demo units. Not sure if it’s a good idea for hygiene reasons (especially during the pandemic). Best if you can borrow from a friend or colleague. Just clean it well before returning lol.

You might want to try your luck with the used market. I got a week old AirPods Pro for 15k. He bought it during a sale but preferred headphones so he decided to sell it off. You might be able to get AP3 for cheaper than this.

Make sure it’s not a fake if buying from a stranger. Do not buy without a bill from a reputed store, Check serial number for warranty and connect with an iPhone to see if the AirPods specific options are present and serial on the Box matches the one reported in the settings.

I liked Sony's, atleast the specsheet, but backed out after many reviews saying it's too uncomfy...
Most of my friends have only basic tws buds, otherwise it would have made my choice easier.

@Ssreek

Let me give you my side of story based on my experiences.

My current TWS: Jabra Elite 75t
My Previous TWS: Jabra Elite 65t, pTron Bassbuds (only used 15 days), Fake Airpods, Fake Airpods Pro

Fake Airpods / Airpods Pro - I got these only to get a feel of how they are before spending money on originals. I use iPad, iPhone and macbook so makes sense to go with airpods/pro. So lets no discuss SQ and stuff.
If you are planning to get used real airpods or pro, please be very very cautious. There are almost 1:1 fakes out there, even the animation on iPhones work and it shows warranty and different modes and what not. I would hence strongly recommend not to buy used on olx / FB market place etc. Better to get brand new from reputed store for peace of mind. Also, since you are not iOS user, airpods don't make much sense for you as you lose the extra features that come with it and people using multiple iOS devices and such can utilize better.

Jabra 65t - This was an impulse buy beginning of this year and I liked it very much, more so for the hear through / transparency functionality. I am not an audiophile so SQ was good for me, just earbuds are bigger in size, case is NOT magnetic, neither for the buds, nor for closing opening mechanism. Also one earbud stopped working a month back so RMAed and got a new set which wife uses now.

Jabra 75t - Since I liked the 65t, i bought 75t which is an improvement over 65t that it has magnetic case and buds being held magnetically inside, app shows battery level of both case and earbuds, has active noise cancellation (don't expect much).

pTron Bassbuds - These are great for the price as it has transparency and ANC and both actually work but I sold them as I had got 75t. TWS wise they are good for the price.

I suggest you buy from a reputed brand and don't consider airpods or pro. Only thing is fit and such are so much subjective that something that works for me may not work for you and so on so it sort of a gamble.

Haven't even thought about pixel buds till now...I will look into it..
My main concern is connection stability and audio quality...All the other things like phone calls, multi device feature(would be good but deal breaker for my usage), bass boost etc are not of priority..thnks fr very good info.
What would you say about comfort level of AP2 and APP?

I liked Sony's, atleast the specsheet, but backed out after many reviews saying it's too uncomfy...
Most of my friends have only basic tws buds, otherwise it would have made my choice easier.
Connection stability is not an issue on Pixel Buds.

Talikng of SQ is a can of worms but let me anyway have a go.
Practically no TWS will have the level of detail /resolution you can get from a good Over-the-ear Headphones. But the good ones get pretty good so there is that.
oo
both AP2 and APP are tuned for a flat response curve - if you prefer that, you won't go wrong with the APP
OTOH, if you prefer a bit of added oomph (and there is nothing wrong with that), you will find the APP relatively boring.

The Pixel buds have a bit of added emphasis on the upper end (higher treble ) so if you like that, it may just work for you.

Fit, comfort and ergonomics are very subjective so not sure if what I say would help - All 3 are comfier for me than the average TWS
I hate the ear pressure buildup with TWSs - The APP and the PB are one of the few vented ones so that mitigates that problem. AP is not sealed so its not at issue with it anyway

But if I had to choose, it would be APP>AP> PB on comfort and ergonomics

Connection stability is not an issue on Pixel Buds.

Talikng of SQ is a can of worms but let me anyway have a go.
Practically no TWS will have the level of detail /resolution you can get from a good Over-the-ear Headphones. But the good ones get pretty good so there is that.
I agree...I already had over-the-ear cans but they died several months ago..
When I tried my friend's boat tws buds, it was a different experience..Though audio quality felt like bullet to the ears, the convenience was awesome..
I used it for several days, and got used to the system...But still the audio quality and comfort level felt like someone shot my ears..

oo
both AP2 and APP are tuned for a flat response curve - if you prefer that, you won't go wrong with the APP
OTOH, if you prefer a bit of added oomph (and there is nothing wrong with that), you will find the APP relatively boring.

The Pixel buds have a bit of added emphasis on the upper end (higher treble ) so if you like that, it may just work for you.

Fit, comfort and ergonomics are very subjective so not sure if what I say would help - All 3 are comfier for me than the average TWS
I hate the ear pressure buildup with TWSs - The APP and the PB are one of the few vented ones so that mitigates that problem. AP is not sealed so its not at issue with it anyway

But if I had to choose, it would be APP>AP> PB on comfort and ergonomics

I used normal apple earphones earlier and these were very comfortable, atleast for me. So I hoped ap2 would be similar.
Anyway, will check for pix-a and other relevant buds as well..
Thanks for the very useful info...

Back