Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Thank you sm for the info. Wasn't aware of this. 18% GST on interest isn't mentioned anywhere ig.

I got 5.xx % student discount. Slight variation will be there among stores afaik. you can try unicorn store, a few days back they had all colours in stock. Consider yourself lucky if you manage to get one though. waiting periods are huge even in the US. but trust me on this, it's worth the wait. Invoice will be in the name of the student. but that shouldn't cause any trouble in the future. Reliance also offer student discount but I'm pretty sure they won't have any stock before premium resellers do.

Yes Aptronix near my home says 5% and far off store is giving 6%. I am not going to bother going far for 1% (actually Rs. 930 or so). Also Yes no one has stock. Unicorn is asking fee receipt in addition which I cannot get. I have got I'd card and Adhaar of a student and if I get those in hand today, I will be heading to the store tomorrow to book.
I also asked the store whether the student card is needed after booking, at the time of delivery and they told me it is needed only at time of billing.

Reliance digital told they won't give student discount and have no clue about hdfc offer.

One more question, are there student discount on iPad 8th Gen? And can I get additional HDFC discount (I guess it is 3K)? Apple reseller near my home told me no.

Last edited:
Anyone with m1 macbook : Can we install linux on these machines ( dual boot ) , i guess i saw apple showing arm linux running on these chisp but it was through vm and not native.

Yes Aptronix near my home says 5% and far off store is giving 6%. I am not going to bother going far for 1% (actually Rs. 930 or so). Also Yes no one has stock. Unicorn is asking fee receipt in addition which I cannot get. I have got I'd card and Adhaar of a student and if I get those in hand today, I will be heading to the store tomorrow to book.
I also asked the store whether the student card is needed after booking, at the time of delivery and they told me it is needed only at time of billing.

Reliance digital told they won't give student discount and have no clue about hdfc offer.

One more question, are there student discount on iPad 8th Gen? And can I get additional HDFC discount (I guess it is 3K)? Apple reseller near my home told me no.
Total price should come around 81.4~k. Imagine, maple, unicorn all had total around 81.4k. I'm not sure about aptronix. you can try calling a store in a different city just to confirm the discount and total cost.

There is no student discount for lower end iPads in store. I'd suggest getting one through apple online/ or with the HDFC discount. You can't combine both. But even then that iPad is another vfm product (at 27k ig) and is well worth the money if you have the use case for it.

I wish to make a purchase and move on.

I am currently having a very solid rig (i7 6700K + GTX 980 Ti). I no longer game. So I wish to get rid of this full tower rig and settle for something which is fast as well as take up less space. I also want to be able to work on the go if required. Though chances of me working on the go is less. Following are my options.

1) Mac mini M1 + iPad 8th gen combination.
2) Macbook Air M1.
3) MacBook Air + iPad 8th gen combination.
4) Just Mac mini M1 + use my old laptop to vnc into it.

I have a budget of 110K which I don't want to exceed in any case.

What do you guys suggest from your experiences?

Total price should come around 81.4~k. Imagine, maple, unicorn all had total around 81.4k. I'm not sure about aptronix. you can try calling a store in a different city just to confirm the discount and total cost.

There is no student discount for lower end iPads in store. I'd suggest getting one through apple online/ or with the HDFC discount. You can't combine both. But even then that iPad is another vfm product (at 27k ig) and is well worth the money if you have the use case for it.

Well for me, total would be..

92900 - 4645 (5% Student Discount) - 6000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 82255 if I buy from Aptronix which is near to my home.

If I travel far, total would be

92900 - 5574 (6% Student Discount) - 6000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 81326

So difference is 929 Rupees. Now for me, it isn't worth traveling to and fro as my cost of travel will come to same or more. I would instead get from nearby store.

I was also contemplating iPad before and had planned for Air 4 but finally convinced myself I don't see any point in getting an iPad Air over 8th gen as the difference isn't worth the almost 25K (MRP to MRP) premium. Now I am not sure if I want to get even 8th gen and will wait it out and only get Macbook Air as I actually have no personal laptop at home. iPad can wait.

Anyone with m1 macbook : Can we install linux on these machines ( dual boot ) , i guess i saw apple showing arm linux running on these chisp but it was through vm and not native.
From Linus himself:

the reason you can’t run linux natively is because of boot loader. apple and almost all the others have their boot loaders encrypted. you will have to jailbreak to replace the boot loader. due to t1 chip it is more difficult. on other devices like snapdragon etc they supply it as a bsp package.

I am currently having a very solid rig (i7 6700K + GTX 980 Ti). I no longer game. So I wish to get rid of this full tower rig and settle for something which is fast as well as take up less space. I also want to be able to work on the go if required. Though chances of me working on the go is less. Following are my options.

2) Macbook Air M1.

my recommendation would be Air + iPad. You have to decide between 8/16 GB ram though.

You won't benefit from Mini's slight performance increase if you don't require it. With the Air, you get the portability, an amazing display and similar performance.

I'd say avoid getting an iPad if you don't have a specific use case for it. As an entertainment device I assure you the MBA is a better device. iPad's screen ratio is odd for movie watching. Also Netflix/Prime video quality is much superior on MacBooks.

Well for me, total would be..

92900 - 4645 (5% Student Discount) - 6000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 82255 if I buy from Aptronix which is near to my home.

If I travel far, total would be

92900 - 5574 (6% Student Discount) - 6000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 81326

So difference is 929 Rupees. Now for me, it isn't worth traveling to and fro as my cost of travel will come to same or more. I would instead get from nearby store.

I was also contemplating iPad before and had planned for Air 4 but finally convinced myself I don't see any point in getting an iPad Air over 8th gen as the difference isn't worth the almost 25K (MRP to MRP) premium. Now I am not sure if I want to get even 8th gen and will wait it out and only get Macbook Air as I actually have no personal laptop at home. iPad can wait.
that is totally fine. This machine is totally worth it even at the 93k mrp.
honest opinion, you have to go for the iPad Pro if you really need to feel the difference. 120 hz display and those speakers are damn good (for a tablet).

2) Macbook Air M1.

What is the nature of your work? If you are already considering a Macbook, why do you need an iPad with it?

@Muathaz
What USB C hub you planning to buy, if any? Can you link from Amazon or flipkart?

Also anything else apart from the USB C hub?

For the time being I bought an Amkette USB C hub with just 3 ports for 1.4k. Other USB C hubs are grossly overpriced here and most are unavailable. If you can afford time, I'd suggest going for Anker/ VAVA from Amazon US through Ra.hul's service. I bought a logitec pebble to use when connected to an external monitor.
Get a laptop sleeve (if needed) and a microfibre cloth also.

Speaking of which, fonts on the external monitor look bad. A search revealed it is due to how fonts are rendered in MacOS. There is a small workaround but that results in thinner fonts on the laptop display also. This is something to take note of if you're planning to use an external 1080p monitor. Higher resolution monitors might work fine. This is a major disappointment for me. @TinTinSnowy

Couple of bugs I noticed:

1. Safari is not properly optimised for the hardware (very strange). Some websites like Reddit slightly lag while scrolling. Youtube has a noticeable sticky scroll issue (workaround is keep your mouse pointer to the left and voila the problem vanishes). Seriously, this is unacceptable. Chrome is fine though (another surprise).

2. There is a stutter for a second when you switch wifi network.

For the time being I bought an Amkette USB C hub with just 3 ports for 1.4k. Other USB C hubs are grossly overpriced here and most are unavailable. If you can afford time, I'd suggest going for Anker/ VAVA from Amazon US through Ra.hul's service. I bought a logitec pebble to use when connected to an external monitor.
Get a laptop sleeve (if needed) and a microfibre cloth also.

Speaking of which, fonts on the external monitor look bad. A search revealed it is due to how fonts are rendered in MacOS. There is a small workaround but that results in thinner fonts on the laptop display also. This is something to take note of if you're planning to use an external 1080p monitor. Higher resolution monitors might work fine. This is a major disappointment for me. @TinTinSnowy

1. Safari is not properly optimised for the hardware (very strange). Some websites like Reddit slightly lag while scrolling. Youtube has a noticeable sticky scroll issue (workaround is keep your mouse pointer to the left and voila the problem vanishes). Seriously, this is unacceptable. Chrome is fine though (another surprise).

I guess this one..

Seems good. The only reason I need a USB A port on regular basis would be for mouse. And I rarely connect any other thing like hdd etc to laptop even now so when i will need I can always use the single usb A port.

I did see some for 2.5K to 3.5K on amazon india. Ordering from US is fine but shipping and customs kill it.

I guess this one..

Seems good. The only reason I need a USB A port on regular basis would be for mouse. And I rarely connect any other thing like hdd etc to laptop even now so when i will need I can always use the single usb A port.

I did see some for 2.5K to 3.5K on amazon india. Ordering from US is fine but shipping and customs kill it.

If you need only a single port, https://www.amazon.in/Tukzer-Adapte...d=1607452181&sprefix=usb+c+to+,aps,319&sr=8-6

this would do just fine.

There are a few in 2.5k to 3.5k range, but they may cause issues with inbuilt wifi. Got to know from a user review of this Amkette model.

If you need only a single port, https://www.amazon.in/Tukzer-Adapter-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Surface/dp/B08K4Q6N8S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1DPGBM82R2RXR&dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+usb+a&qid=1607452181&sprefix=usb+c+to+,aps,319&sr=8-6

this would do just fine.

There are a few in 2.5k to 3.5k range, but they may cause issues with inbuilt wifi. Got to know from a user review of this Amkette model.

Those single port adapters sells for Rs. 25 in the local market. I have a few.

Paid ₹1000 and booked space gray MBA. They said minimum 2 weeks waiting. They will call me when it comes and then I will have to pay remaining amount and pick it up.

I also want to buy from Aptronix since it's the nearest. I cannot travel any time soon. Can I book all over the website and make them ship the product to me with the said offers?

Paid ₹1000 and booked space gray MBA. They said minimum 2 weeks waiting. They will call me when it comes and then I will have to pay remaining amount and pick it up.
My brother ordered from apple online since no store had any definite date for delivery. This is assured delivery in 3 weeks. There is 1.5% cashback on Flipkart Axis bank credit card (on all purchases) so in effective 82.4k. Only need to pay on delivery.

That Reddit scroll lag is the benchmark I consider as a real world test, I thought only I can see it on my old MBP but on a new machine it is unacceptable.

If you need only a single port, https://www.amazon.in/Tukzer-Adapter-Thunderbolt-MacBook-Surface/dp/B08K4Q6N8S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1DPGBM82R2RXR&dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+usb+a&qid=1607452181&sprefix=usb+c+to+,aps,319&sr=8-6

this would do just fine.

Why would a USB Hub cause issues with inbuilt wifi? I am puzzled.
Those single port adapters sells for Rs. 25 in the local market. I have a few.

Are those good to use? I mean, I don't want something I buy cheap to screw up my machine. I know earlier, USB C cables got lot of flak due to issues with them, when bought from random sellers on internet.

That Reddit scroll lag is the benchmark I consider as a real world test, I thought only I can see it on my old MBP but on a new machine it is unacceptable.
No idea of Reddit, but YouTube scroll issue happens on my Intel Macbook too. Blame Google, they purposefully added code in their services to break non-chromium browsers.
Are those good to use? I mean, I don't want something I buy cheap to screw up my machine. I know earlier, USB C cables got lot of flak due to issues with them, when bought from random sellers on internet.
Please don't use those. They will loosen your USB-C ports

Back