Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Guys anyone downloads big torrents on mac? How do you do with lid close and display off,
Not on the M1 Mac, but I've downloaded pretty big files with Caffeine and Transmission (torrent client) for years.
There’s an app for that, check Amphetamine.

Nope, what kind of issue are you facing. I reinstalled MacOS on M1 Mac Mini last month.
I don't have any M1 Mac. Someone I know had issues ( didn't update to 11.0.1) from recovery ( something like failed to personalize software update..)

I don't have any M1 Mac. Someone I know had issues ( didn't update to 11.0.1) from recovery ( something like failed to personalize software update..)
Instead of reinstalling, should try reset option which I think will be better.

Looks like a common issue people are facing.

Last edited:
Instead of reinstalling, should try reset option which I think will be better.

Looks like a common issue people are facing.

thats a dumb design. storage is meant to be erased. i would pee on the storage if have to sell or give my laptop to someone.

thats a dumb design. storage is meant to be erased. i would pee on the storage if have to sell or give my laptop to someone.
would you root format a phone...
how is this any different from that?

The bootloader is on the drive - so when erasing the system, you either erase the system/user partitions while keeping boot loader intact...
if you don’t and still go ahead and / format, you still have an option to reinstate the bootloader - although it requires additional effort as expected..
Why is that dumb?

The bootloader is on the drive - so when erasing the system, you either erase the system/user partitions while keeping boot loader intact...
if you don’t and still go ahead and / format, you still have an option to reinstate the bootloader - although it requires additional effort as expected..
Why is that dumb?
isn’t that a bad dependency? It is a standard practice to write garbage to the drive (secure erase) and typical command would be something in the likes of dd if=/dev/urandom of=drive oflag=direct.. this would write destroy everything on the drive including partition tables and everything. as in, literally write garbage on the entire drive. if this process bricks the device then it is a dumb design.
As far as I know, bootloader for apple stays on T2 and not on storage. I dont think this issue is related to boot loader.

Not on the M1 Mac, but I've downloaded pretty big files with Caffeine and Transmission (torrent client) for years.

is caffeine still working on mac os catalina(as i am on it) have they updated for catalina? cant check because away from home.

Found this video regarding M1 Mac ssd issues. More of issue on 8GB macs rather than 16GB Macs. Most are guessing it’s due to more frequent data swapping in 8GB ram Macs running out of ram. Still waiting for confirmations.

Found this video regarding M1 Mac ssd issues. More of issue on 8GB macs rather than 16GB Macs. Most are guessing it’s due to more frequent data swapping in 8GB ram Macs running out of ram. Still waiting for confirmations.
It's an under rated channel. No useless gimmicks, no wasted words.
Saw this yesterday. Will participate in their survey today.
They still haven't reached any conclusion, and are waiting for meaningful data collection.
As for the 8gb issue, it's likely only happening where the base model is used for very heavy workloads like continuous 4k video processing.

It's an under rated channel. No useless gimmicks, no wasted words.
Saw this yesterday. Will participate in their survey today.
They still haven't reached any conclusion, and are waiting for meaningful data collection.
As for the 8gb issue, it's likely only happening where the base model is used for very heavy workloads like continuous 4k video processing.

It’s not true, it can be anything which is using high IO workload or filling up RAM.
I just checked mine (never edited 4k videos) and it’s already 15TB in 2months with 1% wear level.
I have disabled Spotlight indexing as recommended by many people in few forums related to this issue. Let’s see how the next 2months perform now!

It’s not true, it can be anything which is using high IO workload or filling up RAM.
I just checked mine (never edited 4k videos) and it’s already 15TB in 2months with 1% wear level.
I have disabled Spotlight indexing as recommended by many people in few forums related to this issue. Let’s see how the next 2months perform now!
1% in 2 months is okay I guess, by this calculation after 5 years it will be around 30% resulting in somewhat less snappy performance. Spotlight indexing is a 1 time initial thing, it should not be disabled permanently.

isn’t that a bad dependency? It is a standard practice to write garbage to the drive (secure erase) and typical command would be something in the likes of dd if=/dev/urandom of=drive oflag=direct.. this would write destroy everything on the drive including partition tables and everything. as in, literally write garbage on the entire drive. if this process bricks the device then it is a dumb design.
As far as I know, bootloader for apple stays on T2 and not on storage. I dont think this issue is related to boot loader.

There is no separate T2 chip on the arm machines
I still don't see why this is an issue though - there is no bricking of the device as you term it
Things change as tech changes - Like I said, you won't be ever doing a root format on a phone, would you?
you can still do a full wipe on the data partitions anyway

But if you must do a dd wipe, you can still do that and reinstall the firmware on the system - its just that it's more work than before

What was the point of glueing everything when the dimensions of the newer M1 MBP/ MBAs are almost same?
This practically zero repairability is holding me back from buying one. Apple's after sales service ( even with Apple care) is pretty bad in most part of Europe ( eventually they are forced to replace pretty much every faulty laptops, but they tend to harass people a lot) How are things back in India?

Why is that dumb?
I highly doubt this can happen with just simple erase as I did the same from Disk Utility on M1 Mac Mini some 1 month back and then reinstalled the OS from scratch. Later I found out that there is a new option called 'Erase Mac' in recovery, should have used that instead. But still even with this new option we need to erase the SSD from Disk Utility section so don't know what purpose it solves.

What was the point of glueing everything when the dimensions of the newer M1 MBP/ MBAs are almost same?
This practically zero repairability is holding me back from buying one. Apple's after sales service ( even with Apple care) is pretty bad in most part of Europe ( eventually they are forced to replace pretty much every faulty laptops, but they tend to harass people a lot) How are things back in India?

Not good but doable.

Just checked mine. About 15 days old, but gets loads of use (no video editing, but some photo editing). Says 0% wear level and 469 GB written.

SSD health of M1 Mac Mini after 2 months. Doesn't have my laptop atm but will share it's result soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 6.30.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 6.30.47 PM.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 95
The current count would include the initial high usage - The proper way to check would be to note the current and check after a couple of days to see what it's at.
For me this comes to around 30-40 GB a day

Based on what I have seen on my older Macs and the current wear estimate to TBW posts on reddit etc, the estimated endurance of the SSD should be between 750-1500 TB
At the 40GB writes for full day use that I see, this would translate to 19200 days or 50+ years for 100% wear (@750TBW and 40GB a day)

On my windows system, I see this to be at around 20GB a day

Guys, any recommendations for a tempered glass for the M1's screen ?
The screen does get a bit dirty, and if not cleaned regularly will leave residue behind.

Back