Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

mine's at 1% after 3 months. 13.9TB written. this is with no video editing or any other heavy workloads. Less than 5 times use of light ps/lightroom.

Guys, any recommendations for a tempered glass for the M1's screen ?
The screen does get a bit dirty, and if not cleaned regularly will leave residue behind.
get a microfiber cloth from amazon and clean it regularly. hardly takes 2 min. easy to clean too.

mine's at 1% after 3 months. 13.9TB written. this is with no video editing or any other heavy workloads. Less than 5 times use of light ps/lightroom.

get a microfiber cloth from amazon and clean it regularly. hardly takes 2 min. easy to clean too.
I tried this. We have good quality MF clothes for TV, but the stains don't go. Any cleaner which can be applied ?

this guy summarized it well. touches on qualcomm winrt stuff. seems apple derengement syndrome is everywhere.
Agree with all the points he said, except for gaming or for those folks who are unable to deal with UNIX platforms I don’t see a point in spending $999 or more and getting a Windows laptop.

Windows RT from what I have heard will be able to run x86 apps with its own emulator and Qualcomm just announced that they are bringing an M1 rival in future. If this succeeds then good for people but then again most hardware manufacturers won’t be able to match the built quality at that $999 price point.

Windows RT from what I have heard will be able to run x86 apps with its own emulator and Qualcomm just announced that they are bringing an M1 rival in future.
i was very excited about qualcomm when it was announced back in 2018. the cause of failure is totally due to their own stupidity. it the just let people install linux on it. linux is way more mature in arm world. if it were to run linux kernel with no-google-android side by side gnome/kde/mate i would buy it in a breath. all they need to do is unlock boot loader and not be anal about bsp.

i was very excited about qualcomm when it was announced back in 2018. the cause of failure is totally due to their own stupidity. it the just let people install linux on it. linux is way more mature in arm world. if it were to run linux kernel with no-google-android side by side gnome/kde/mate i would buy it in a breath. all they need to do is unlock boot loader and not be anal about bsp.
Honestly just give me a decent Linux laptop and I will happily leave Apple and it’s ecosystem and buy a Pixel phone instead. Until then running Linux will always be a hack job with workarounds and what not. Certainly not ready for prime time as there is no supporting hardware for it.

Btw here is the article I was talking about.

Qualcomm's next Snapdragon chipset aims to take on Apple's Silicon M1 chip

Honestly just give me a decent Linux laptop and I will happily leave Apple and it’s ecosystem and buy a Pixel phone instead. Until then running Linux will always be a hack job with workarounds and what not. Certainly not ready for prime time as there is no supporting hardware for it.

Btw here is the article I was talking about.

Qualcomm's next Snapdragon chipset aims to take on Apple's Silicon M1 chip
I strongly feel it’s a bit of an oversimplification to say that the only issue with linux as a desktop is the lack of optimised/supporting hardware.
While explaining my real rationale to say this will probably get too long, let me try illustrate with my computing history.

I had been a (mostly) happy windows user for more than a decade till windows Vista dropped in 2007.
For 6 months, i tried to fiddle around with various linux desktop distributions till I finally decided to take a gamble with a Mac.

For personal desktop usage, I have since stuck to OS X and have been largely a happy camper.
However, all of that finagling with linux found good use after a few years- whatever I learnt during those 6 months came in very useful when setting up various generations of servers for home usage.
Not to mention the added level of comfort when doing something complex within OS X also.

Today, I wouldn’t look at anything else but Debian for home servers and OS X for desktop usage.

In the intervening years, I have regularly tried using various desktop distros on the sides - but the core problem with linux (at least per me) is that it is great, no make it awesome, for defined and repetitive use .
All the effort that goes into setting it up for such defined and repeatable use cases is totally worth it because it just works, and keeps working after months and years without a glitch.

Unfortunately, for a dynamic end user computing environment, it has very likely only become worse over the years - with excessive stack fragmentation, random (and often undocumented/ sparsely documented ) dropping of backward compatibility and /or changes to certain core functionalities in the name of progress (e.g. the way network stack is structured today vs what it was say 5 years ago )
Yet ironically a steadfast refusal to simplify/improve other aspects - e.g. Setting up Samba today is as bad/ frustrating as it was 10 years ago)

Even today, I have 2 linux desktops (Mint and Ubuntu) running full time (virtualized) - and I do use them once in a while for very specific usage requirements - But it would be very difficult and frustrating to move to them full time.

Last edited:
I'm a noob when it comes to computers, but definitely not one with audio production..not trying to boast but I'm pretty familiar with audio routing etc...( both analog and digital) doing it for decades, but when it comes to Linux and setting up ALSA, JACK etc. it's a complete cluster ****.
Audio routing in Linux is unnecessarily complicated, convoluted.. eventually things will work, but you will loose all the inspiration.
Some YouTube videos made me believe, Linux is perfectly usable for audio production, mixing, mastering...far from it ( unless you have ENORMOUS amount of free time) wasted a pretty expensive Bitwig license. Plus most of the free softwares available are of very average quality ( most are downright useless)
I know of some big non tech youtubers who tried Linux for video editing and ended up going back to Mac or Windows.

Even today, I have 2 linux desktops (Mint and Ubuntu) running full time (virtualized) - and I do use them once in a while for very specific usage requirements - But it would be very difficult and frustrating to move to them full time.
i use ubuntu 20.10 as my daily driver at work. People who initially struggled with office suite simply switched to google docs and confluence suits and recently started doing documentation in LaTex. our IT department wants us to use windows so that they can install zscaler and control everything so we simply switched to ubuntu and told them to go pound sand.

i use ubuntu 20.10 as my daily driver at work. People who initially struggled with office suite simply switched to google docs and confluence suits and recently started doing documentation in LaTex. our IT department wants us to use windows so that they can install zscaler and control everything so we simply switched to ubuntu and told them to go pound sand.
oh, it works for sure ...
The point I am trying to make is that the effort that goes into it, especially if you run into an issue makes it a PITA to use as a daily driver for a desktop -

There are several scenarios that would require hours or more of troubleshooting/ googling on Linux even for those who are reasonably comfortable with it ..
The same scenario/ issue would either not arise on win/mac or take a few moments to fix - e.g. the kind of effort that @red dragon is talking about

So far, i have been OK to spend that kind of effort for things like setting up a NAS or a home UTM or an automation server- you get the drift...
These are scenarios (fill it-shut it-forget it) that linux excels at..

one question why did you guys bought m1 macbook air so much and moreover many switched first time from windows to mac if i am not wrong.Do you really use that high performance power of m1’s?

one question why did you guys bought m1 macbook air so much and moreover many switched first time from windows to mac if i am not wrong.Do you really use that high performance power of m1’s?
I guess it's a combination of factors. I still haven't bought one, because I don't want to leave Windows, but at the price point of the M1 Air, nothing else comes close to performance and battery life.
The question is not whether one uses that much performance. One has to spend that much for a good build quality Windows laptop as well. If this was a PC, then build quality doesn't come into the picture as much as it does in case of a laptop. So, if one is already spending that much, then why not buy the M1 Air, is the question, I guess.

Apart from what @rdst_1 said, there is another factor.
I don’t need all of that performance, far from it.

So e.g. today, I can comfortably work with a modest desktop with say a 8th Gen i5 and a 1050/ RX560 GPU without feeling shortchanged for raw power.
Yet historically, while getting a laptop , I have always had to compromise on that to balance out the power draw/ weight/ heat - every single time.
So e.g. today, I would have brought a ULV 10th Gen with Iris Gfx and make a small compromise on the performance so as to balance out the heat/weight/thermals.
(or e.g. my core m3 macbook 12 that I used for 4+ years- great machine but would make you feel shortchanged for power every now & then)

With this, I get enough performance headroom yet a lot more battery life and far better thermals that I would have expected.

No heating, no fan (and so no fan noise), excellent battery, slim and lightweight. This, alongwith all the performance is a cherry on the cake.

yeah... editing raw photos or go pro videos while traveling!!

I guess it's a combination of factors. I still haven't bought one, because I don't want to leave Windows, but at the price point of the M1 Air, nothing else comes close to performance and battery life.
The question is not whether one uses that much performance. One has to spend that much for a good build quality Windows laptop as well. If this was a PC, then build quality doesn't come into the picture as much as it does in case of a laptop. So, if one is already spending that much, then why not buy the M1 Air, is the question, I guess.
Bcoz they don't want to be tied down in a restrictive os.. Thats the clear answer... If everyone was buying it why did windows laptop sell better than m1 this year?

If m1 comes to other oses which are not restrictive then you will see everyone finally using it

Bcoz they don't want to be tied down in a restrictive os.. Thats the clear answer... If everyone was buying it why did windows laptop sell better than m1 this year?

If m1 comes to other oses which are not restrictive then you will see everyone finally using it
Err..
Isn’t the rationale flawed?
Windows laptops start from as low as 300USD and while I do not have stats to back it up, my guess would be that the vast majority of global laptop sales would be in the 400-600 price ballpark.
If you want to use sales figures as a justification then you would need to compare sales of macbook with comparable windows ultrabooks (like XPS13.

On a side note, Mac OS isn’t really restrictive - what makes you say it is?

Err..
Isn’t the rationale flawed?
Windows laptops start from as low as 300USD and while I do not have stats to back it up, my guess would be that the vast majority of global laptop sales would be in the 400-600 price ballpark.
If you want to use sales figures as a justification then you would need to compare sales of macbook with comparable windows ultrabooks (like XPS13.

On a side note, Mac OS isn’t really restrictive - what makes you say it is?

UglfJCv.jpg

I tried this. We have good quality MF clothes for TV, but the stains don't go. Any cleaner which can be applied ?
apple instructs strictly to use only water for cleaning the display. make the microfiber cloth slightly damp on one side and clean the dirt. with the other dry side wipe again. works for me everytime.

i just like the stock .. errr.. the air i mean. :innocent:

Back