Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Apple's next-generation Macs will use a new chip called the M1, a big brother to the A-series chips in its iPhone 12, that Apple says will bring new power and battery life to its personal computers.

The MacBook Air starts at ₹92,900, while the smaller Mac Mini starts at ₹64,900 -- a $100 price cut that's likely easier to justify given analysts' expectation that Apple's chips are less expensive for the company than Intel's. The M1-based MacBook Pro starts at ₹1,22,900 and available from November 17, 2020.

Well 16 inch is not launched so no idea on that part as its still intel. M1 chip is interesting and pretty same to what amd is doing is what I think. only thing is the dram is also part of the chip so how does the ram upgrade works is what I am wondering. and if any particular thing in the chip is damaged, the whole dam chip needs to be replaced and so its an expensive business for sure. Thinks for battery backup look promising.

ordered a mac book pro with 8G and 1T. should arrive by the end of month. very impressive power to performance.
1605043019902.png

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro is up to three times faster than the best-selling Intel machine, Apple said.
What exactly is this best selling Intel machine? Server or desktop or laptop or NUC?

Their benchmarks are so vague. 3.5x faster cpu compared to which Intel or AMD or are they comparing to phone chip? GPU is 150x faster than which GPU? No real numbers to say it is so much faster than what they're testing. If it is such a good chip why hide real world performance? What are they afraid of?

By the way how comfortable is a 13 inch to 16inch for coding ? Any one can suggest ?

You need an external monitor for 13inch it’s not comfortable for long hours.
I have used 15.6 pro which is okayish for long work hours, I have used Air 13.3 in my previous org with 22inch monitor which used to be better than coding on 13.3inch in emergencies.
For long coding hours, it’s best to pair with 22/24inch and 13.3/14 is not what you would wish for. 16inch is still bearable but again would recommend external for it.

What exactly is this best selling Intel machine? Server or desktop or laptop or NUC?

Their benchmarks are so vague. 3.5x faster cpu compared to which Intel or AMD or are they comparing to phone chip? GPU is 150x faster than which GPU? No real numbers to say it is so much faster than what they're testing. If it is such a good chip why hide real world performance? What are they afraid of?
Isn't that how apple always markets its crap to isheep?

Isn't that how apple always markets its crap to isheep?

I don't know what they said in the event but for iPhone and iPad, usually they compare with a previous phone of theirs so it is usually 2x performance of an iPhone 11 and such. This is valid comparison as they aren't comparing to other brands.

I don't know what they said in the event but for iPhone and iPad, usually they compare with a previous phone of theirs so it is usually 2x performance of an iPhone 11 and such. This is valid comparison as they aren't comparing to other brands.
They said 2x faster than "latest laptop chip" in a chart that had no axis nothing. Pure marketing crap.

Also their new a13 is nowhere as fast compared to. A12 they were saying it is

Look at the comparison graphs in this news article.

laptops are never comfortable for coding. backpain neck and shoulder pain. better get desktop or external monitors.
Can't carry desktop to company as daily driver and like this also company will give one. I am not buying this. also I personally do things on desktop or external monitor only. even 15 inch is an uncomfortable zone for me :angelic:

5x faster than "the latest PC chip" :D

Guess they might have made the presentation before Ryzen 5xxx launched, and now couldn't compete with it IRL or the gains weren't that substantial, so they hid behind stupid marketing lingo ? This was the vaguest presentation I have seen from Apple in a while.
Just compare it to the manila envelop moment when Air was first launched, and those presentations used to be fun and innovative. We really lost a showstopper with Steve,

Benches out. Good results. For a 1st gen laptop SoC, Apple has outdone Intel.
Where is the 2X and 5X etc. jump?

This just looks incremental nothing else.

Loved the comments on the forum. Reinforced my faith in echo chambers and humans trying to live with people who have same belief system to avoid being challenged. Comments on Snapdragon vs. A chips being x times better were hahahaha.
Now, I know android and pc crowd have similar echo chambers but still its fun to see how bias can go both ways.

Where is the 2X and 5X etc. jump?

This just looks incremental nothing else
I would say the single and multi core performances are FAR better than most intel chips. Forget the marketing, but AS is still pretty impressive. PPW is possibly the best in the industry, and the battery life is a winner.
I hope this means more support for ARM apps on Windows too. Can't wait for my next "PC" laptop to be fanless and still be a workhorse.
Good stuff. Intel should be VERY worried.

I would say the single and multi core performances are FAR better than most intel chips. Forget the marketing, but AS is still pretty impressive. PPW is possibly the best in the industry, and the battery life is a winner.
I hope this means more support for ARM apps on Windows too. Can't wait for my next "PC" laptop to be fanless and still be a workhorse.
Good stuff. Intel should be VERY worried.

I do hope AMD and Intel are shitting it right now. It is great if it pushes AMD and Intel to reach new heights. People shifting to mac from windows for 1 chip is never going to happen unless AMD and Intel cant match this performance even after years.

Hope they don't copy what apple is doing in terms of fleecing customers. Now that Apple has integrated RAM into their SOC they have jacked prices like crazy.

200$ for extra 8Gb ram LOL. No extra ports needed we will take those back. Just glad Apple doesn't have a monopoly on tech market otherwise half my salary will go in basic tech comforts.

Back