Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

man can you please stop being a freaking obvious troll?
the fact that he's getting 20k + for a 7 year old laptop with 4gb ram in itself speaks about the resale value of macbooks.
take a 7 year old windows laptop with 4gb ram and you'll have to give it in as SCRAP or sell it for 2-3k.

as for why i got a good deal on my laptop, i've already said it has a retina display and it is a VALUABLE feature for many people, including the one who bought my laptop. please read my posts above a few more times if you still don't understand anything. also an added point is 2015 macbook pros are high in resale all over the world for being reliable machines (pre 2016 models which had quite a few issues).

very much agree here. macos and particularly ios are not for people who just want to tinker with their devices and who loves spending time doing these stuff. they are aimed at people who wants something that works consistently without giving much problems and headaches.

exactly lol.

i get the type of user you are. I was once the same when I was 16 and younger. no offense for being a tinkerer, everyone has different likes and hobbies. but that doesn't compensate for the fact that you think 'majority' of users are like you. you are in the minority. the new apple chips are revolutionary for the average user. just accept and move on. maybe your favorite companies will start making similar chips soon.
EDIT: i have no hate against windows. there are several fine notebooks for lower prices which gets the job done just fine. but when it comes to higher end models and their prices, the experience just doesn't cut it.
I'm in the minority? Do you know the market share or in your universe stats just stopped existing after m1 release.

I use an Intel NUC attached to a tv as my makeshift desktop / streaming solution at home.

every week something in the software breaks. Very tempted to rip it out and just throw in a Mac mini there.

also certain people just don’t know how to have a discussion so would recommend ignoring them.
Haha i can understand your level of tech understanding if you thought buying an Intel nuc is the way to go to build a streaming solution. In the amount you can buy a mac mini I can configure atleast a 2x-3x more capable htpc

Your comments in 3rd person are just childish so i can safely ignore them till you mature

I would appreciate if you could guide me on a product I can purchase?
It needs to be small and have a low TDP as it will be placed in a small enclosed area.

The NUC I currently use is the Hades Canyon i7 with Vega graphics. 16 gigs of ram and 2 nvme SSD’s in Raid 0. This cost twice what a Mac mini would and the Mac mini still outbenches this.

Both offer far more performance than I need for this use case. However my initial point was not speaking to performance, more ease of use. I don’t want a new driver from 10 different vendors every few weeks breaking something or the other. I don’t want to have to manually update things. Just a few months ago Intel and AMD fought and now I haven’t gotten GPU drivers since March. The latest drivers break audio. So you have to revert to earlier drivers. But those break something else and so on and so on.

My god the amount of Apple hatred is if like he has some personal enmity towards Steve Jobs.

After going through one windows desktop and two Windows laptops, I am more than happy with the current MacBook Pro that I have been using since the past two years. While the Windows machines start lagging and giving up after 6-8 months of use and you need to regularly format and reinstall the OS to make it barely work. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM for work and guess who beats it in performance and battery life while being half the weight?

And M1 is getting rave reviews everywhere. People are shocked that it exceeded the expectations that they had. Even with emulation, the X86-64 apps runs similar or faster given the capability of the CPU. And these are all low-end devices. I am more excited what they implement for replacing the higher-end devices, especially with the ones with dedicated AMD GPUs.

PS: Don't feed the trolls.

My god the amount of Apple hatred is if like he has some personal enmity towards Steve Jobs.

After going through one windows desktop and two Windows laptops, I am more than happy with the current MacBook Pro that I have been using since the past two years. While the Windows machines start lagging and giving up after 6-8 months of use and you need to regularly format and reinstall the OS to make it barely work. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with i7 9th Gen, 16GB RAM for work and guess who beats it in performance and battery life while being half the weight?

And M1 is getting rave reviews everywhere. People are shocked that it exceeded the expectations that they had. Even with emulation, the X86-64 apps runs similar or faster given the capability of the CPU. And these are all low-end devices. I am more excited what they implement for replacing the higher-end devices, especially with the ones with dedicated AMD GPUs.

PS: Don't feed the trolls.
Personal animosity against jobs who did nothing for the world, didn't donate anything just kept it to himself till he died? Oh no, how can anyone hate someone who is so selfish and greedy ?

You should hate Bill gates personally, he is the evil one who developed Windows and donated so much money to improve the world which he should have put in Apple coffers instead

Man, I had fun reading this thread. Everyone is telling each other to no feed the troll, while feeding the troll.

Anyways, I was expecting more from the 13" MBP. It has better sustained performance but not enough as compared to the intel generation where there was a clear advantage in terms of clock speeds and GPU performance.

Since these are the first gen products, i'm expecting a mid/late 2021 refresh with an M2 or an M1X chip and with the new mini-led displays and the 14" sizes. Those would be worth upgrading as my 2015 is on its last legs as it is. Also the 4 port MBP still isn't out yet so lets see what apple does to that. Just wish they hadn't bumped up the RAM upgrade pricing again, that was a dick move.

Personal animosity against jobs who did nothing for the world, didn't donate anything just kept it to himself till he died? Oh no, how can anyone hate someone who is so selfish and greedy ?

You should hate Bill gates personally, he is the evil one who developed Windows and donated so much money to improve the world which he should have put in Apple coffers instead
Donation is something that if the person wants to do, he will do, else not. Not sure how that is even relevant here.

Lol
IMG-20201119-WA0007.jpg

I would appreciate if you could guide me on a product I can purchase?
It needs to be small and have a low TDP as it will be placed in a small enclosed area.

The NUC I currently use is the Hades Canyon i7 with Vega graphics. 16 gigs of ram and 2 nvme SSD’s in Raid 0. This cost twice what a Mac mini would and the Mac mini still outbenches this.

Both offer far more performance than I need for this use case. However my initial point was not speaking to performance, more ease of use. I don’t want a new driver from 10 different vendors every few weeks breaking something or the other. I don’t want to have to manually update things. Just a few months ago Intel and AMD fought and now I haven’t gotten GPU drivers since March. The latest drivers break audio. So you have to revert to earlier drivers. But those break something else and so on and so on.

Claims to beat some model of MacBook pro 13 in this form factor. Should be easily able to handle whatever you can dare to throw at it

Last edited:
After reading this thread only, I understand that windows OS or windows laptop is so bad, but not after spending 20 years of my life as windows developer :(. Thank you all for your enlightening Mac guys!

Claims to beat some model of MacBook pro 13 in this form factor. Should be easily able to handle whatever you can dare to throw at it

Actually an interesting option. Definitely something to consider for some projects that need I/O pins in the future. However very far from your lofty claims. Can't see it being competitive at price or performance- $400 will translate to $700ish after shipping and taxes to get to India. Add another $100 for ram and $50 ssd and we'll be at around $850. You'll also need to add some sort of case.

Even taking out the shipping and duties, this set up will run you ~ $650. This is the price of the current mac mini. This udoo bolt board actually has 1/3 the performance of a base mac mini at the same price. This is a farcry from your statement that you can recommend 2-3x performance in the budget of a mac mini.

My current set up is already about 40% faster than your recommendation. . No added advantage with this board. Don't want the headache of having to sort out a case and deal with even more uncertainty getting something like this.

Just look at all the comments on their Kickstarter. Nearly all of them are complains about things being broken in the BIOS, fan instability, wifi instability, SSD & Ram incompatibility etc -

And guaranteed end of support in a couple of moths once the sales cycle for this version is over -

This is the best you could do after a day of research?

It's really funny to see you talk about tech understanding when you obviously don't have any.

Even though the numbers support my argument in this case. I will reiterate they are of little value. What matters is how productive a tool (Read: Mac/Windows/Linux) is for you!. As I'm getting older I just want something that works! Many may be willing to deal with the nuances of maintaining Windows/Linux on x86 hardware because they have a specific or unique workflow on those platforms that negate the productivity loss incurred by having to deal with all the BS and that's okay! However, many don't.

^trust me. its the same set of driver and bios headaches that you are dealing with nuc. btw, why does anyone think that nuc isn’t capable of handling 4k video and htpc stuff.

At this point, the Apple Silicon is just shaming other processors:

As a hobbyist photographer. really considering an Apple device as my next laptop.
After going through one windows desktop and two Windows laptops, I am more than happy with the current MacBook Pro that I have been using since the past two years. While the Windows machines start lagging and giving up after 6-8 months of use and you need to regularly format and reinstall the OS to make it barely work.
Ugh. Disagree with this. I have a 3 (4?) years old Acer laptop with a Core i7, upgraded RAM and SSDs, and I never ever had to format it.

Use it for work (Office etc), Photoshop, Lightroom, Affinity etc. Just regular windows updates, and manual TRIM of SSDs. The screen has broken down, so using it with a monitor - but as far as the OS goes, barring a couple of issues which Google-fu helped with, no complaints.

Last edited:
At this point, the Apple Silicon is just shaming other processors:

As a hobbyist photographer. really considering an Apple device as my next laptop.

Ugh. Disagree with this. I have a 3 (4?) years old Acer laptop with a Core i7, upgraded RAM and SSDs, and I never ever had to format it.

Use it for work (Office etc), Photoshop, Lightroom, Affinity etc. Just regular windows updates, and manual TRIM of SSDs. The screen has broken down, so using it with a monitor - but as far as the OS goes, barring a couple of issues which Google-fu helped with, no complaints.
this looks cool, I have dxo photo lab 2. might try this one instead of upgrading.

Actually an interesting option. Definitely something to consider for some projects that need I/O pins in the future. However very far from your lofty claims. Can't see it being competitive at price or performance- $400 will translate to $700ish after shipping and taxes to get to India. Add another $100 for ram and $50 ssd and we'll be at around $850. You'll also need to add some sort of case.

Even taking out the shipping and duties, this set up will run you ~ $650. This is the price of the current mac mini. This udoo bolt board actually has 1/3 the performance of a base mac mini at the same price. This is a farcry from your statement that you can recommend 2-3x performance in the budget of a mac mini.

My current set up is already about 40% faster than your recommendation. . No added advantage with this board. Don't want the headache of having to sort out a case and deal with even more uncertainty getting something like this.

Just look at all the comments on their Kickstarter. Nearly all of them are complains about things being broken in the BIOS, fan instability, wifi instability, SSD & Ram incompatibility etc -

And guaranteed end of support in a couple of moths once the sales cycle for this version is over -

This is the best you could do after a day of research?

It's really funny to see you talk about tech understanding when you obviously don't have any.

Even though the numbers support my argument in this case. I will reiterate they are of little value. What matters is how productive a tool (Read: Mac/Windows/Linux) is for you!. As I'm getting older I just want something that works! Many may be willing to deal with the nuances of maintaining Windows/Linux on x86 hardware because they have a specific or unique workflow on those platforms that negate the productivity loss incurred by having to deal with all the BS and that's okay! However, many don't.
First of all you didn't hire me for a day to do the research for you, so don't give me the crap that after a days research etc.

. I just came across this during my search for my box so shared it. You can see my post history I'm building one for myself in 15k. For that you start name calling and shaming?

For what it's worth yes this particular box doesn't look worth it compared to the mac mini which starts at 65000 in India. (which is 870 usd not 650). For a non fanboy who doesn't want to burn their money and willing to do research or ask politely from others, I can't believe you can't configure something much more powerful in a mini itx at this price point. Base full gaming dedicated graphics can be constructed in this so only premium has to be paid for form factor. It will have at least 4 x ram compared to the puny 8gb ddr4 in mini too plus capable of gaming. +repairability+upgradable+os choice+accessories compatibility

I guess I shouldn't have shared only. It is your money, you can go and burn it for all I care, I will see you outside apple fanboy thread. I am done in this thread.

Last edited:
While the hot topic in our discussion seems to be the CPU performance & battery life, most of us are overlooking the fact that Apple has improved the GPU performance by quite a lot too.

As per AnandTech review, an Apple mini with an M1 chip is able to run Rise of the Tomb Raider at 1080p Very high settings at around 39FPS average. For reference a discrete mobile GPU 560x delivers around 33fps & a 1650 around 60FPS. This is very good performance specially considering this is an iGPU & it seems to be consuming only 16.5W of package power, 7W for the GPU, while delivering this performance, WOW!

Again this is to be expected as M1 delivers 2.6 TFLOPS of raw GPU performance. Considering an Xbox one s delivered 1.4TFLOPS & PS4 delivered 1.84TFLOPS of performance & had a weaker CPU in them, there is definitely a case for using this chip to power some sort of Apple gaming console/experience maybe through an Apple TV. An Apple TV/Gaming console with this chip could easily become an excellent media/gaming option specially if the software support increases. Again knowing Apple & how they create/disrupt trends, gaming support could easily increase if Apple decides to enter into the gaming market which they already seem to be doing on Mobile devices. Also remember that the chip also contains a 16 core neural engine which could technically be used to achieve something similar to DLSS.

This is all all very amazing & exciting & the year end is turning out to be a real treat for all enthusiasts. Lets see what more Apple has in store for us in the future & how this chip will impact future innovations & the industry as a whole. Whoever wins or loses, us consumers are definitely going to come out a winner with all this innovation.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested/3

Hey guys bed a suggestion.

Looking for an ultrabook around the 1L mark which is light, has good battery, good screen and good performance (fast boot up, fast wake from sleep, fast performance in the usual mail, browser, excel, word) kind of stuff.

I am seriously confused if I should go with this new MacBook Air with M1 or the Intel 11th gen ultrabooks like Acer Swift 5, Asus Zenbook etc.

The primary usuals is media consumption and portability. The Swift 5 has insane specs compared to the air like 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, Intel xe gpu etc. while air has just 256gb storage and 8gb ram. Will that be enough for long term use like 5-6 years?

First question that you need to ask is if you need to use Windows or any specific application that currently is not available in MacOS. If that is not the case, then go for the Macbook. As per the reviews, the Macbook is so optimised that you will never feel that 8GB RAM is low and storage issue can be resolved by just getting a cheap external HDD.

I personally use an 2018 MBP and it also has 8GB RAM, I did not have any performance issues with it yet. The software is just heavily optimised.

Hey guys bed a suggestion.

Looking for an ultrabook around the 1L mark which is light, has good battery, good screen and good performance (fast boot up, fast wake from sleep, fast performance in the usual mail, browser, excel, word) kind of stuff.

I am seriously confused if I should go with this new MacBook Air with M1 or the Intel 11th gen ultrabooks like Acer Swift 5, Asus Zenbook etc.

The primary usuals is media consumption and portability. The Swift 5 has insane specs compared to the air like 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, Intel xe gpu etc. while air has just 256gb storage and 8gb ram. Will that be enough for long term use like 5-6 years?

No amount of optimization can account for hardware. No matter what 8 gb ram is going to seriously limit any future proofing.

It will seriously limit you to have just 8 gb ram in today's world. If not today, you will regret it 2 3 years down the line. At any time if you for some reason need to play a game or in your home does, you will regret it.
A ssd onboard is going to give you much higher throughout rate than any usb connected hard disk so there is absolutely no comparison between USB connected hdd vs ssd onboard

Any which way the 11th gen Intel or m1 both will be overkill to play any 4k video locally or via streaming. Hell even 8k will be playable on both easily. So basically the processor of both are powerful enough to negate the only advantage m1 has. So, in real life usage all these cpu benchmarks will be useless, specially in your particular case. Not to mention that for the first year or more, anyone buying the M1 chip might be just beta testers while they iron out the apps and the bugs

If you actually want to use that much power you would need to game at insane details and resolution. However games themselves don't run natively on m1 so either availability won't be there or max or it will perform at best equal to intel

I would suggest asking this question outside this thread if you genuinely want frank unbiased opinion

Last edited:
Back