Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

The 2-in-1 averaged 36fps on the game’s built-in benchmark (at the lowest-possible settings). That’s just two off from the newest MacBook Air with Apple’s M1 chip (38fps), which has been outperforming 1165G7 systems across the board. l

and your point is?

and your point is?
The groundbreaking chip which is a unicorn and without which the whole world's computer market will halt to a stop... Now the Intel and amd market is dead for good... Apple will take over gaming industry and laptop industry...

These prophecies look very far fetched if a device released at the same time performs the same as the m1 chip while playing real games.

Also compared to. Dell xps 13 within a year that's 60% jump in fps for them

I don't get the obsession of Windows people with gaming on their puny laptop screens. Laptops are not gaming devices, even if it's capable to deliver 120fps it's simply not worth it over a small screen which is powered by battery.

If it's powered by a wall socket then why even need a laptop over gaming pc or console?

DELL XPS 13 2-IN-1 (2020) REVIEW: SPEEDY, SPECTACULAR CONVERTIBLE

The really exciting news is that you can actually play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on this machine at 1080p. The 2-in-1 averaged 36fps on the game’s built-in benchmark (at the lowest-possible settings). That’s just two off from the newest MacBook Air with Apple’s M1 chip (38fps), which has been outperforming 1165G7 systems across the board. Now, you may very well not want to play demanding titles like Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 38fps, but you can play them on this machine without feeling like you’re watching a flipbook. That’s a big accomplishment for these integrated graphics, especially considering that the standard XPS 13 only averaged 22fps on the same benchmark.
Selective bias is a strong thing:

Heavier media work is where this system starts to stand out. The 2-in-1 took 10 minutes and 5 seconds to export our 5-minute, 33-second 4K video in Adobe Premiere Pro. That’s 38 seconds faster than the regular XPS 13 — effectively comparable. Both systems are faster than any 10th Gen Ice Lake laptop with integrated graphics, and they beat the Asus ZenBook 14 with the same processor (which took 11 and a half minutes). They also both lose out to the Arm-powered MacBook Air (which doesn’t even have a fan) and MacBook Pro, which finished the job in 8:15 and 7:39, respectively.

I don't get the obsession of Windows people with gaming on their puny laptop screens. Laptops are not gaming devices, even if it's capable to deliver 120fps it's simply not worth it over a small screen which is powered by battery.

If it's powered by a wall socket then why even need a laptop over gaming pc or console?
I had a gaming desktop previously. I sold it for a gaming laptop which I can use just about anywhere in the house.

For one, I can now use it in my living room connected to a 55" 4K 120 FPS display using FreeSync whereas previously I tried Steam Link and it was a random mess even on 5 GHz AC network. I also have to travel quite often and the laptop forms a great media centre on its own or connected to TVs at other places. Until you are streaming from the cloud, this is the next best thing that can go everywhere with you.

You can connect it to your monitor via hdmi and play?

Ditto... for graphic designers and youtube uploaders this might make sense..which common user is editing videos day in day out..proportion of users who want power who are likely to play a game is much higher than video editors
aren’t you missing the point? the m1 is faster in every way and in some ways substantially while heating significantly lower and lasting much more on battery. how is this not groundbreaking?

aren’t you missing the point? the m1 is faster in every way and in some ways substantially while heating significantly lower and lasting much more on battery. how is this not groundbreaking?

Much more is 2 hours on 16 hour base.are the battery capacities same? Does it really matter between 14 and 16 hours?

Heating yes without active cooling is useful and impressive. Groundbreaking? Era defining? Definitely not.

I had a gaming desktop previously. I sold it for a gaming laptop which I can use just about anywhere in the house.

For one, I can now use it in my living room connected to a 55" 4K 120 FPS display using FreeSync whereas previously I tried Steam Link and it was a random mess even on 5 GHz AC network. I also have to travel quite often and the laptop forms a great media centre on its own or connected to TVs at other places. Until you are streaming from the cloud, this is the next best thing that can go everywhere with you.
gaming anywhere around the house seems a valid point. but do you really game when you travel?

Much more is 2 hours on 16 hour base.are the battery capacities same? Does it really matter between 14 and 16 hours?

Heating yes without active cooling is useful and impressive. Groundbreaking? Era defining? Definitely not.
mister, have you even read the twitter thread i posted above?

no heating without active cooling while putting top of the line i9 to shame is not not groundbreaking? i've seen apple haters before but this kind is a first to me xD

you can enjoy your intel chips. peace.

gaming anywhere around the house seems a valid point. but do you really game when you travel?

no heating without active cooling while putting top of the line i9 to shame is not not groundbreaking? i've seen apple haters before but this kind is a first to me xD

What tweet? One without benchmark from another fanboy?

I can still waste my money to buy an m1 chip once I can install linux in it.

You keep saying significant over performance but the gaming performance doesn't show that. Benchmarks are useless if games aren't made or optimized for that chip

Depending on work, you can end up in other places for months. There is only so much of Netflix one can take in. ;)

But yeah, apart from the ridiculous temperatures, laptops now-a-days don't set you back that much on hardware price.

I guess all of us are missing the point - MacBooks are (mostly) never designed for gaming. They are lightweight computational laptops for media consumption and productivity tasks - which is what most business travelers and professionals need.
Gaming is just not Mac's forte. Never was.
But....we are hitting buts here...it now has access to iOS games - no touchscreen - so we don't know how those translate - but if you want to game casually - you've the option.

So you are using you gaming laptop as a dedicated tower? Why, I mean all laptop will start throttling once you start gaming on it for more then 30 mins unless it's an alien-ware or something similar which has serious heatsinks thus making it bulky and then again it defeats the whole point of mobile gaming.

Only point I can see a gaming laptop provide is for those who have space constraints like living in a hostel or a tiny apartments.
You can connect it to your monitor via hdmi and play?
Like a true power user? playing laggy games on ultrabook using 3rd party controller? Also if you happen to have a dedicated monitor in your house then why not get a dedicated gaming pc for it.

What tweet? One without benchmark from another fanboy?

I can still waste my money to buy an m1 chip once I can install linux in it.

You keep saying significant over performance but the gaming performance doesn't show that. Benchmarks are useless if games aren't made or optimized for that chip
it was about real world battery life and not benchmarks bro

99.9% mac users don't care about gaming. and for your kind info, computers are not simple gaming machines only.

and no please don't waste you precious money on anything you hate so sincerely. you'll be fine with intel chips.

Depending on work, you can end up in other places for months. There is only so much of Netflix one can take in. ;)

But yeah, apart from the ridiculous temperatures, laptops now-a-days don't set you back that much on hardware price.

sound fair enough. :)

So you are using you gaming laptop as a dedicated tower? Why, I mean all laptop will start throttling once you start gaming on it for more then 30 mins unless it's an alien-ware or something similar which has serious heatsinks thus making it bulky and then again it defeats the whole point of mobile gaming.

Only point I can see a gaming laptop provide is for those who have space constraints like living in a hostel or a tiny apartments.

Like a true power user? playing laggy games on ultrabook using 3rd party controller? Also if you happen to have a dedicated monitor in your house then why not get a dedicated gaming pc for it.
I guess you should apply for a role at apple. Next jump in your logical story is "why do you need hdmi ports on a laptop" or "gaming on monitors via hdmi from laptop should be restricted"

Bam..next set of MacBooks launched without hdmi ports while apple simultaneously launches there gaming machine to force people to buy the machine.

Just like their wireless charger launch and removal of Wired charger from the box.

On a serious note, why can't one connect laptop to monitor for occasional gaming? Not every user has the space or need to invest in both laptop and a desktop

Code:
it was about real world battery life and not benchmarks bro

I meant benchmark against other laptops. My whole point is that at what point does more battery become less useful due to diminishing returns

I guess you should apply for a role at apple. Next jump in your logical story is "why do you need hdmi ports on a laptop" or "gaming on monitors via hdmi from laptop should be restricted"

Bam..next set of MacBooks launched without hdmi ports while apple simultaneously launches there gaming machine to force people to buy the machine.

Just like their wireless charger launch and removal of Wired charger from the box.

On a serious note, why can't one connect laptop to monitor for occasional gaming? Not every user has the space or need to invest in both laptop and a desktop
You don't need HDMI when you have usb-c/thunderbolt in MacBook which can output display without needing extra cables.

My whole point is why game on crappy laptop when there are better options available unless you are a penny saver or only play games just for the sake of it.

you'll be fine with intel chips.
i have a conspiracy theory that intel never improved anything since third gen. its only until su bae started kicking in their nuts they recruited jim keller who finally gave up and resigned due to internal politics at intel. Raja kaduri had more than 2 years to come up with good graphics but xe was dead on arrival and the m1 graphics is stomping on xe’s dead ass.

the only windows specific app I would need would be MS word and excel and both are available on Mac if I am correct. The only caveat is the less storage and just 8gb ram. Even if I manage with 8 gb won't 256gb os storage be too less? Heck my phone has 256gb of storage now.
This is the storage report from my 2 yr old 2018 MacBook Pro. I do coding on this thing so I have Xcode, VSCode and Node.js installed. Apart from that I have the whole iWork suite and MS Office installed too. See if this suffices for you.

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 10.19.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 10.03.21 PM.png

That is one thing I am worried about, the ram and the storage, otherwise I think the air is really good as an ultrabook. I actually have a dedicated gaming PC so I don't need any of the gpu power or gaming power. The reason I am looking for an ultrabook is for the portability, battery life and media consumption. We all know how much of a resource hog chrome is these days hence as a long term user even for excel/mail/chrome not sure if 8gb will be enough. Also 256gb storage sounds like a joke on a laptop. Other than these two factor I feel the air ticks all the boxes.
Regarding RAM, I can confidently say that it won't be a problem. My office laptop with 16GB RAM feels much slower than the Macbook. Again RAM usage is optimised. If you want me to test a specific scenario, then let me know. And this is all in the old Intel based system. As per the reviews M1 is significantly faster. And I don't use Chrome, Safari is not only faster in loading pages, it also hogs much less RAM and battery.

Yup the original plan was to get a dell ups 13 but that unfortunately does not fit in my budget, and now out of nowhere apple launches the new air with m1 that seems to blow the ups out of the water. Given a choice between 16gb ram vs 8gb ram and 512gb vs 256gb which upgrade should I give preference to if I can only choose one between the ram and space upgrade?
I would suggest RAM upgrade if you really want to spend extra 20k because external storage is cheap. Or best thing to do is get AppleCare+ instead for that cost. As I already said above, 8GB RAM will work just fine as a daily usage machine.

Last edited:
Back