Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

It does - but the
The difference in charging time is negligible on air. also i wouldn't want to put on extra stress than what the device is designed for.
Actually it won't be an issue.
With a dumb device, you can plugin a power supply of any wattage but it will draw only as much as needed - with the notable exception of lead acid batteries and maybe a few other exceptions.

With PD, it gets a little more complicated - but is equally if not more safe
When you plug in a PD compliant charger (any wattage), the first few seconds involve a negotiation where the charger tells the device the charging profiles it supports (i.e. Voltage and max current for that voltage) and the device tells the charger what charging profiles it accepts.
The highest available for both is what they will settle on.
If the device is not PD complian and charger does not receive a response, it will drop output to default 5V/2A

I have a bunch of PD chargers ranging from 18W (9v/2A max) 30 W (20V/1.5A max) and 65W (20V / 3,25A max)
I use them interchangeably between the MBA, PD phones/ tablets as well as a couple of PD laptops with no issues. That is exactly what the PD spec is designed for.

Some devices (e.g. a Lenovo) refuse to charge with anything less than 65W profile - although its an artificial constraint (even the Lenovo stops dropping charge even if it does not gain charge)

The only precautions I take:

A) For all devices - I don't use any generic PD charger. All chargers in question are certified PD chargers from Apple/Lenovo/ Ikea. I had a few generic Chinese PD supplies that I retired- Possibly overkill but the PD standard is complex as-is and no point in risking a 9V compliant phone getting hit by a 20V profile

B) Specifically because of the MBA, I retired a generic PD hub (pi-box) for a certified hub (A2119) - Partly because I needed 4k60 support but also because of scattered reports of the M1 (as well as other laptops like G14) getting damaged due to (possible) surges from some no-name PD hubs

Last edited:
It does - but the

Actually it won't be an issue.
With a dumb device, you can plugin a power supply of any wattage but it will draw only as much as needed - with the notable exception of lead acid batteries and maybe a few other exceptions.

With PD, it gets a little more complicated - but is equally if not more safe
When you plug in a PD compliant charger (any wattage), the first few seconds involve a negotiation where the charger tells the device the charging profiles it supports (i.e. Voltage and max current for that voltage) and the device tells the charger what charging profiles it accepts.
The highest available for both is what they will settle on.
If the device is not PD complian and charger does not receive a response, it will drop output to default 5V/2A

I have a bunch of PD chargers ranging from 18W (9v/2A max) 30 W (20V/1.5A max) and 65W (20V / 3,25A max)
I use them interchangeably between the MBA, PD phones/ tablets as well as a couple of PD laptops with no issues. That is exactly what the PD spec is designed for.

Some devices (e.g. a Lenovo) refuse to charge with anything less than 65W profile - although its an artificial constraint (even the Lenovo stops dropping charge even if it does not gain charge)

The only precautions I take:

A) For all devices - I don't use any generic PD charger. All chargers in question are certified PD chargers from Apple/Lenovo/ Ikea. I had a few generic Chinese PD supplies that I retired- Possibly overkill but the PD standard is complex as-is and no point in risking a 9V compliant phone getting hit by a 20V profile

B) Specifically because of the MBA, I retired a generic PD hub (pi-box) for a certified hub (A2119) - Partly because I needed 4k60 support but also because of scattered reports of the M1 (as well as other laptops like G14) getting damaged due to (possible) surges from some no-name PD hubs
thank you for the detailed information.

and yeah i just checked again. air takes in 45w~ with 60w charger. so it should be a fair bit faster.

Not sure if this has been shared already. Need to watch these videos very carefully to understand entirely though.. too much jargon for a layman like me -

I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s some kind of new invention by Apple when we are used to seeing SOC’s from a long time in mobile and tablets. It’s just that M1 SOC is the 1st wide scale application in Desktop/Laptop world.

I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s some kind of new invention by Apple when we are used to seeing SOC’s from a long time in mobile and tablets. It’s just that M1 SOC is the 1st wide scale application in Desktop/Laptop world.
lol, i think you answered your own question there.

Well ability to translate x86 apps to arm is more of an invention then M1 considering Apple already had the fastest mobile chip available beforehand called A14. Both architecture wise are more or less the same.

Guys, anybody has a student ID that I can use for Apple education discount for Mac Air ?

Prefer physical IDs since it can be clubbed with HDFC discount. Else online IDs are fine too.

Guys, anybody has a student ID that I can use for Apple education discount for Mac Air ?

Prefer physical IDs since it can be clubbed with HDFC discount. Else online IDs are fine too.

Just so you know, student ID and hdfc can be combined in store but the percentage discount at store is 5-6% compared to 10% discount on website but no hdfc cashback.

How much total ? What was the landing price ?

MRP 92900 less 6% student discount of 5574= 87326.
I swiped 87326 with HDFC debit card with cash back of 6000 leading to final price of 81326.

Correct. I too was aiming for this but the Aptronix store near my home told me student is 5% (it varies from store to store) so I opted for online 10% and paid 83610 because if I go to store it was 92900 - 5% (4645) - 6000 (not immediate but cashback after 3 months) = 82,255 Rupees.
So difference would have been around Rs. 1300 but then the local store had no stock and didn't know when it will come and traveling to store and all would have costed me around 500 rupees so it wasn't worth the effort for me to do all that.

Correct. I too was aiming for this but the Aptronix store near my home told me student is 5% (it varies from store to store) so I opted for online 10% and paid 83610 because if I go to store it was 92900 - 5% (4645) - 6000 (not immediate but cashback after 3 months) = 82,255 Rupees.
So difference would have been around Rs. 1300 but then the local store had no stock and didn't know when it will come and traveling to store and all would have costed me around 500 rupees so it wasn't worth the effort for me to do all that.
Agreed. Sometimes the effort and time spent for saving that 1000 is Not worth it. For me, i was planning and coordinating everything over phone with the iplanet store near my location and got it.

Same shit, man.

I checked around and all stores in Delhi/Noida/Ghaziabad are OOS for M1 256. Only option is either Pro or some stores with 512 gb.
Can't wait much, hence most likely will order online. That also has a 2 weeks wait.
How's the Apple shipping ? When they give you an estimated delivery date, do they stick to it ?

How's the Apple shipping ? When they give you an estimated delivery date, do they stick to it ?
Their delivery times, even if 2 weeks out, are still accurate and don't expect early delivery unless you are lucky. I was quoted around 2 weeks+ for delivery and I did get it in that week.

Their delivery times, even if 2 weeks out, are still accurate and don't expect early delivery unless you are lucky. I was quoted around 2 weeks+ for delivery and I did get it in that week.

Hmmm. Currently it's showing 23rd Feb to 1st March, so 1st March it should be, eh ?
Challenge is no shop has any stock whatsoever locally. :(

Same shit, man.

I checked around and all stores in Delhi/Noida/Ghaziabad are OOS for M1 256. Only option is either Pro or some stores with 512 gb.
Can't wait much, hence most likely will order online. That also has a 2 weeks wait.
online if it says 1-2 weeks, you’ll most probably get it within a week. apple tend to overestimate delivery dates. can confirm too. brother had 2-3 weeks, got it within 2 weeks, friend had 1-2 weeks recently, got it in a week.

online if it says 1-2 weeks, you’ll most probably get it within a week. apple tend to overestimate delivery dates. can confirm too. brother had 2-3 weeks, got it within 2 weeks, friend had 1-2 weeks recently, got it in a week.
Placed an order online, with CC on delivery option. Hoping they deliver sooner than 1st March.

Back