Apple or not Apple

rohitjain

Disciple
Hi there,

Have a friend returning from Hong Kong next month. I have been wanting a new laptop and this seems to be the perfect opportunity to get one cheap.

Options:
1) Apple Mac Book / Mac Book Pro
2) Rest of the world

Is the apple MacBook really worth it ? I want a small screen so the 13" is the one. On checking I see that it doesn't come with HDMI or the new Core i3/i5 processors. Is it still a good option ?

Guys please help

If you want to use snow leopard operating system then it makes sense to buy a macbook but if you will endup using windows on it then its a waste of money as you can buy higher specced windows laptops at much cheaper price.

^^^ It is still a good option if you want the best battery life. They run for 6-7 hours with moderate usage. The reason why the i3/i5 were not plonked into the 13 incher were explained in this article Apple explains lack of Core i3 support in new MacBook Pro | News | TechRadar UK.

If 13 inch or less is what you want I would suggest a Lenovo thinkpad x300/x201. My brother in law has it and its ultra-portable yet quite powerful and also has very good battery life. Infact LM processors are quite energy efficient.

motorheadinc said:
^^^ It is still a good option if you want the best battery life. They run for 6-7 hours with moderate usage. The reason why the i3/i5 were not plonked into the 13 incher were explained in this article Apple explains lack of Core i3 support in new MacBook Pro | News | TechRadar UK.

If 13 inch is what you want I would suggest a Lenovo thinkpad x201. My brother in law has it and its ultra-portable yet quite powerful and also has very good battery life. Infact LM processors are quite energy efficient.
The 6-7 hrs battery life in the macbook can be reached only in snow leopard environment,run windows on it and it wont go over 3 hrs.

@RS4: I think we both decided to reply at the same time, but I posted a bit later. The ^^^ was meant for the OP.

Though I totally agree on the battery life thing. Thats why I mentioned the Lenovo machines with core i7 LM proccies.

Frankly they are awesome even with battery hungry windows :p. Makes me wonder how will they do with Mac OS. A double digit battery backup without external battery pack would be awesome :D

motorheadinc said:
@RS4: I think we both decided to reply at the same time, but I posted a bit later. The ^^^ was meant for the OP.
Though I totally agree on the battery life thing. Thats why I mentioned the Lenovo machines with core i7 LM proccies.

Frankly they are awesome even with battery hungry windows :p. Makes me wonder how will they do with Mac OS. A double digit battery backup without external battery pack would be awesome :D

The battery life of laptop wont increase if we load mac os on it, macbooks have better battery life due to the use of better batteries and also very good software-hardware integration.

On the other hand thinkpad laptops are in a league of their own with solid build quality and awesome keyboards and pro support, i know all these as i have personally used a 14inch thinkpad for 2 yrs but the design and finish of a thinkpad may not appeal to a prospective macbook buyer:p

6-7 hours ? The new macbook's battery should last for around 10 hours, give or take one hour depending on what you do!

If you dont mind switching (for good) over to OS X, macbook is a great option! I took the plunge back from my windows/linux days to OS X in 2008 and havent regretted one bit!

Apple,all the way.If you want to keep the lappy for next 3 years with out any headache go for the macbook or the mbp eyes closed.The only problem is that you will never be able to go back to windows again.

Back