Apple Revamps iPod Lines

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai

Apple's revamp of the three current members of its iPod line--the iPod, the Nano, and the Shuffle--should address customer complaints about battery life and scratching; and the players' prices should lure buyers as the holiday season approaches.

Highlights of today's hardware announcements from Apple include a new 80GB iPod that Apple says has an improved display and battery life, Nanos with brightly colored metallic cases, and a tiny iPod Shuffle that Apple CEO Steve Jobs called "the world's smallest MP3 player."

Larger-Capacity iPod

Debuting today, the updated full-size iPods come in two versions: a 30GB model (available in black or white) priced at $249, and an 80GB model (available in black only) for $349.

The large iPods--and the new Nanos--have brighter screens and longer battery life, according to the company. Apple also announced new earbud headphones that the company says are more comfortable than the previous-generation version.

Both of these types of iPods offer gapless playback, eliminating the pause between digital audio tracks. This feature is popular with audiophiles.

The Return of Color

The second-generation Nanos sport a new aluminum case available in any of five colors (silver, green, pink, blue, or black). These colors appear to be slightly brighter than the corresponding ones on the old iPod Mini.

"It was a big deal to bring color back with the Nano because color was a very, very popular [quality] about the Mini, particularly among women who care more about color than men do," says Van Baker, an analyst with Gartner Industry Advisory Services.

New 2GB ($149, silver only), 4GB ($199), and 8GB ($249, black only) models are available now. According to Jobs, they offer twice the storage of the corresponding first-generation Nanos for the same price. Baker points out that the new case and screen address complaints about scratching and cracked screens on the earlier Nanos. Other improvements claimed by Apple include longer battery life, slimmer size, and a brighter screen.

Silvery Shuffle

The $79 1GB Shuffle, which ships in October, is half the size of the original model. On first handling, that appears to be perhaps a little too small--it looks easy to lose.

Its silver aluminum case has a built-in clip for attaching it to clothing or a belt. According to Apple, the Shuffle weighs 0.5 ounce and occupies just 0.5 cubic inch of space. The Shuffle comes with a USB 2.0 dock for easily syncing and charging the player; unlike its predecessor, the new model can't be plugged into a USB port.

The new Shuffle, like the original one, lacks a display for viewing tracks and has a toggle switch for listening to tracks sequentially or in random order.

Search Songs Faster

Both the iPod and iPod Nano have song-search enhancements. Going to the Music menu and scrolling down to Search brings up a keypad where you can scroll and enter the first letters of song titles, artists, and albums on an on-screen keypad. The letter combinations bring up the matching songs in your iPod's song library.

Scrolling quickly through tracks prompts the screen to display the first letter of the tracks you've reached. (For example, fast scrolling through tracks starting with the letter L will bring up a block letter L on the interface.) In an informal hands-on test at the event, this feature worked properly only when I scrolled very quickly on an iPod that contained a large number of tracks.

Apple also announced the immediate availability of nine new iPod video games, priced at $4.99 each and sold through the new iTunes 7's iTunes Store. (For more on iTunes 7, see our story, "Apple Expands Its Video Offerings.")

The games are designed to be played using the large iPod's scroll wheel. Developed by Apple and Electronic Arts, the current selection of mostly parlor and arcade titles includes Tetris, Pac-Man, Texas Hold'em, and Bejeweled.

PC World - Apple Revamps iPod Lines

PC World - Apple Expands Its Video Offerings

Apple - iTunes - iTunes Store - iPod Games

Also check this thread : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/itunes-7-released-79188.html

SoulFire

Skilled
Oct 22, 2005
kinda lame when u come 2 see of it about those rumours of the bigger screen n toucch screen n stuff n all they come up with is this :p seems like cr eative still on top

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
Here's the inside scoop on the next iPod -
ipod.jpg

Cupertino, CA - Close on the heels of a recent redesign to its popular iPod line of digital music players, Apple CEO Steve Jobs confirmed today that the next-generation devices will have no interface, ports or controls of any kind.

"With each successive refresh to iPod, we've made the design simpler and cleaner," said Jobs at a rare sneak-peek press conference Thursday. "It's time to take it to the next level."

He then drew back a velvet curtain to reveal reference designs for the new devices. Onlookers gasped, then stood and applauded vigorously.

"Brilliant!" said one.

"Genius!" said another.

"Editors' Choice 2006! Why even test it?" shrieked one reporter as spittle flew from his mouth.
When asked how users will load, navigate or listen to music on the device, Jobs replied, "Uh, wait and see," his eyes darting nervously about him. He then mumbled something about MacWorld before melting into the crowd.

In the wake of the event, Apple-related chat rooms were filled with speculation on the means by which the device works. Many think the new iPods will come pre-loaded with music you will like, recognize what you want to hear, when and at what volume, and play it via some sort of wireless neural link, possibly using Bluetooth-enabled nanomachines. One blogger believed the device is nothing more than a hard drive in a sleek plastic case and has no practical function, but was quick to add he would buy one regardless.

archer_0042000

Disciple
Mar 13, 2006
I am impressed by their ability offer gapless playback.So is the addition of games like pacman and tetris.

Maybe they are worried about microsoft upcoming zune player.I still would like to see a much better audio and video quality(Their video quality has so far been pathetic),FM recording from apple.So unless they have really improved their audio (better earbuds) and video quality, i won't even consider them.I am not gonna buy it just because they look cute.

Also i read somewhere that both microsoft and apple are considering adding phone function to their mp3 player. M$ is even considering making their future versions of zune a portable game player.

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
New iPod nano reviewed

So overall, I’m very happy with it. There are some things about iPods that annoy me, but they are so pleasant to use and so well-built that I’d gladly pay well over the price of a Taiwanese Windows Media player, even though most of my music library is stored in WMA format! It’s a fantastic technical achievement to make something so small with such excellent functionality, and a testament to Apple’s British-led design team that they can still create something with such a warm fuzzy factor, despite the iPod’s ubiquity.

I really think that Microsoft is going to have a very hard time competing through a Zune range, based on what I know so far, even if it includes Zune mobile phones, as is likely to be the case. iPod remains the benchmark for all PMPs.

iPod Nano2 reviewed

Reactions: 1 person

puns

Staff member
Super Mod
Mar 24, 2005
Mumbai
The new iPod nano models are now available through Apple Authorized Resellers across the country. The new 2GB iPod nano model in silver is available for Rs 9.800, the new 4GB models in silver, pink, green and blue are available for Rs 13,200 and the 8GB model in black is available for Rs 16,400. All iPod nano models include redesigned earbud headphones and a USB 2.0 cable.

New optional accessories designed for the second generation iPod nano with the following suggested retail prices include: lanyard headphones for Rs 3,200, armband for Rs 2,100, iPod nano Dock for Rs 2,700, and an iPod USB power adapter for Rs 1,900.

Source : ChannelTimes.com > MarketWatch > Market News > Apple Introduces the New iPod Nano in India

thrillkill.cult

Disciple
Aug 21, 2006
manas.frih.net
Ah :hap2:

Finally a definitive answer to my question

Thanks a million puns.

Guess if Apple's price is 13Gs then Grey markets like Spencer's must be down to earth and selling near 12Gs.

Thanks again :)

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Jun 11, 2005
wordsunchained.blogspot.com
thrillkill.cult said:
Somebody was saying we'll be able to get the Revamped Nano2 by the end of October.
That true?
Will we be able to shop for it around Oct end at a place like Spencer's @ Chennai?

Dude, also ask at Oasis Networks in Ritchie Street, i've heard they're very good.. and have lotsa good products too :)

thrillkill.cult

Disciple
Aug 21, 2006
manas.frih.net
What is it with people complaining about FM Radio?

The way i see it:
IF you're buying a player with anything above 4 to 8 GB of capacity - you should be filling it up to it's complete capacity with 1000 to 4000 songs.You're buying the mp3 Player so that you can listen to YOUR collection of songs...that's the whole point isn't it - " playback on pushing a button - the track you want - whenever you want it ? " . If you wanted a dj to make the choice for you - a FM radio is a better option.

With memory of less than 4GB i can understand the complaint that there's only going to be so many songs you can listen to before it starts repeating.For these people: I'm sure you can't run through the entire list in a day - why not connect to you pc and change the list everynight,i can understand wanting an FM for sizes this small nevertheless.But 4,8,30,60GB? What's the use of buying capacities this large when you're not gonna use it?
More importantly, most Indian Radio is bullshit right now.Sorry if it offends anyone, but thats my take on it.maybe thats just cus im a rokhead.

Large capacities are for people who have huge (illegal usually) collections on their computers - and want to carry it around.

If you need FM and a MP3 player.Take a smaller capacity...upto 512mb-enough for a few hours of your favourite tracks with an FM Tuner.