Apple TV 4K experience?

Anyone here who is using HomePod with Apple TV 4K can share there experience of home cinema surround sound function, is it a gimmick or does it really work as Apple says it does.

Can it replicate a decent 5.1 surround setup in a small bedroom?

Use HomePod with Apple TV 4K
I have tried it with 2X reg homepod (the old large model )
Is it good - yes?
Is it better than most soundbars - Yes
Is it better than a traditional AVR and discrete speaker setup - A big No

Having said that, a traditional 5.1 setup will cost far and away more than 2X homepods (if you can find them )
I have only 1 mini - so can't comment on how 2x mini will sound - but based on how they sound vs the reg homepod (i.e. same level of clarity - maybe even better but with weaker low end) , it will still be better than soundbars for sure

I have tried it with 2X reg homepod (the old large model )
Is it good - yes?
Is it better than most soundbars - Yes
Is it better than a traditional AVR and discrete speaker setup - A big No

Having said that, a traditional 5.1 setup will cost far and away more than 2X homepods (if you can find them )
I have only 1 mini - so can't comment on how 2x mini will sound - but based on how they sound vs the reg homepod (i.e. same level of clarity - maybe even better but with weaker low end) , it will still be better than soundbars for sure
OG HomePod is still available on Flipkart but only in black unfortunately.

Mini can’t do Dolby Atmos or any surround sound function so I think they are a bad deal when the OG is still available. Do you think 2x OG will be overkill for a small bedroom measuring 13x10.

Mini can’t do Dolby Atmos or any surround sound function so I think they are a bad deal when the OG is still available. Do you think 2x OG will be overkill for a small bedroom measuring 13x10.
Depends on what you want…
The reason to use two is for proper stereo separation - it won’t cause bass to bloat or cause any overkill.
While 1 will be a major improvement over TV audio, if you can place 2 on either side of the screen with decent separation between them , it will improve the experience considerably.

PS; On a side note, black is better when it comes to HP.. the fabric grill tends to get dirty very quickly on the white

Depends on what you want…
The reason to use two is for proper stereo separation - it won’t cause bass to bloat or cause any overkill.
While 1 will be a major improvement over TV audio, if you can place 2 on either side of the screen with decent separation between them , it will improve the experience considerably.

PS; On a side note, black is better when it comes to HP.. the fabric grill tends to get dirty very quickly on the white
Do you think 2x OG is better for Movies/Music then 2x Mini considering the price difference. Looking for a stereo pair only since I want to replace the built in shitty speakers of my 8 year old Sony’s.

One more question regarding Dolby Vision, do I need a TV that supports it as well or Apple TV will decode it for our normal TV sets.

One more question regarding Dolby Vision, do I need a TV that supports it as well or Apple TV will decode it for our normal TV sets.
Apple tv will decode it.
My bad I thought you were talking about dolby atmos with homepods. You can't use dolby vision without a compatible tv set.

Last edited:
you will need a tv that is certified dolby vision. if tv doesn’t support it then apple tv wont use dolby vision.

Mini is slated to get Dolby Atmos support very soon. It is in closed developer beta right now.

Apple music with dolby atmos sounds pleasant. Doly atmos logo shows up at the bottom right but most ikd songs are not mastered as atmos so…
D4D5C2A9-4822-4018-9C20-6301C9292FF0.jpeg

how good it is in catching 5ghz wi-fi network.
I'm using only with 5Ghz network, and have not faced any issue so far, router is located around 7 meters distance. If you meant, 5ghz auto selection in a mesh network, then i've not tested that yet.

@smnrock @Renegade can you share some impressions/short review of sort describing the experience especially how good it is in catching 5ghz wi-fi network..
Will try to post something soon. No problems whatsoever with 5Ghz network. All devices at home only connect to the 5G network at home, have disabled 2.4 completely on the router. Though there are no walls between the router and the Apple TV. Overall really happy with the purchase, its the small things that make me smile. Now only thing missing to complete the experience is another HomePod mini and an iPhone.

Amusing to follow hindi lyrics. Never knew Hindi lyrics were in devnagari. Lot of mistakes though.
1D40E386-5B2A-468A-916D-B37B3A4635B0.jpeg

Any deals as such on Apple TV 4K anywhere..

I highly doubt you would find one. In India, mostly you will see deals on more popular apple products like iPhone and iPad. In US too when deals come, it is little price reduction so not worth getting from US to India.
Also in India people are looking at more of android solutions so Firestick, especially at their prime day / GIF sales price is too mouthwatering to pass for most.
Apple TV in that sense is a niche product.

Best deals may be someone selling so you get 2nd hand else just buy from amazon with their 5% cashback (if you have their ICICI card), almost 1K Savings.
I doubt apple India will have any offer on Apple TV.

If you wish to order using amazon, I do have the card and I guess final price for 32GB would be 18900 - 945 (5% of 18900) = Rs. 17955.

I highly doubt you would find one. In India, mostly you will see deals on more popular apple products like iPhone and iPad. In US too when deals come, it is little price reduction so not worth getting from US to India.
Also in India people are looking at more of android solutions so Firestick, especially at their prime day / GIF sales price is too mouthwatering to pass for most.
Apple TV in that sense is a niche product.

Best deals may be someone selling so you get 2nd hand else just buy from amazon with their 5% cashback (if you have their ICICI card), almost 1K Savings.
I doubt apple India will have any offer on Apple TV.

If you wish to order using amazon, I do have the card and I guess final price for 32GB would be 18900 - 945 (5% of 18900) = Rs. 17955.
Okay do you see any benefit of going for 64GB against the base 32GB model, thinking of downloading content first and then watching it as my connection is only 100Mbps currently.

To me, that looks like the only reason to get the Apple TV 4K ! the native Hotstar app on my Sony TV does not output Atmos, but is restricted to 5.1.
Wait, don't get it for ATMOS for Hotstar just yet.
Hotstar supports ATMOS now , yes - e.g. playback on Ipad and airpod for Black Widow is in atmos.

However the ATV app is probably not updated yet - the same movie plays in DD Surround on ATV & AVR.

Back