Apple TV 4K experience?

Okay do you see any benefit of going for 64GB against the base 32GB model, thinking of downloading content first and then watching it as my connection is only 100Mbps currently.

I am probably not the right person to answer this since I have no clue. I guess 99.99% go for 32GB. May be check online of what the space can be used for. I guess people who want to install lots of apps and games especially and intend to play those using controller and all would need more storage. For most other folks who use for regular streaming, 32GB may be more than sufficient.

Read This: https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-4k-32gb-vs-64gb

I am probably not the right person to answer this since I have no clue. I guess 99.99% go for 32GB. May be check online of what the space can be used for. I guess people who want to install lots of apps and games especially and intend to play those using controller and all would need more storage. For most other folks who use for regular streaming, 32GB may be more than sufficient.

Read This: https://www.imore.com/apple-tv-4k-32gb-vs-64gb
OTT downloads are anyway available only for mobile device apps.
So to your point, unless user wants to install a lot of games from the app store, the cheapest variant is the one to get

Just want to update here for those who are thinking of getting one. There is a sale happening on Flipkart right now where 64gb is being discounted by 2k and 32gb by 1k. Card discount is additional. Finally bought one after waiting for so long but went for 64gb as price difference between both was negligible. Didn't make sense to save 1k and get half the storage as I heard it saves all wallpapers and iCloud photos in cache which takes some space.

Don't wait to activate the complimentary Apple TV subscription, it expires in a month if not activated. Lost 12 months of free subscription due to that.
Haha that will not be needed as I have used my TV+ trial previous year and it also comes as part of Apple One Family plan to which I have subscribed to now. Can't wait to give it a try :p

Don't wait to activate the complimentary Apple TV subscription, it expires in a month if not activated. Lost 12 months of free subscription due to that.

Apple TV+ 1 year complimentary earlier allow waiting period for activation 90 days after the day first switch on the device.....in this way I activate mine Day 83 out of 90 which came with iPhone SE which is still running.

Last time I found they reduced the free subscription for 3 months from one year as the TV+ picks up its space.

Okay so got an unexpected early delivery today but looks like I am using an old HDMI 1.4 cable as display is not coming on my old Sony TV. The box says it needs at least 2.0 standard which I think is newer but does my Sony 32W674A also supports that standard or is it backward compatible in that sense?

Also can anyone recommend a good future proof cable that will work.. @superczar

Okay so got an unexpected early delivery today but looks like I am using an old HDMI 1.4 cable as display is not coming on my old Sony TV. The box says it needs at least 2.0 standard which I think is newer but does my Sony 32W674A also supports that standard or is it backward compatible in that sense?

Not sure about your TV supporting it but these are supposed to be backward compatible. My TV is 11years old, so surely they are. There is no such thing as future proof cable as you don't know which direction tech will take in 5 years. Just buy the latest generation HDMI cable that you can get.

you can get away with the 18gbps cables that are the ones commonly available on Amazon (Eg Amazonbasics )

However dynamic range matching switching can get slow and flakey with them.

48gbps cables are only marginally more expensive (cablecreation has some good options )
And will handle dynamic range matching as well as 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling without a glitch.

On a related note, the best video setting is to keep the device output on 4K sdr but with frame rate matching and dynamic range switching enabled (presuming your TV supports 24p input for former and HDR for latter)

you can get away with the 18gbps cables that are the ones commonly available on Amazon (Eg Amazonbasics )

However dynamic range matching switching can get slow and flakey with them.

48gbps cables are only marginally more expensive (cablecreation has some good options )
And will handle dynamic range matching as well as 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling without a glitch.

On a related note, the best video setting is to keep the device output on 4K sdr but with frame rate matching and dynamic range switching enabled (presuming your TV supports 24p input for former and HDR for latter)
I ordered the Amazon one yesterday that has 18gbps thoughtput which I think is currently enough for 1080p. I thought of ordering a 2.1 cable but was not sure it will work properly or not. Other thing that I noticed was Apple TV switches output resolution every 20 seconds upon first connecting so till the time it can get down to 1080p which is at least a good 2-3 minutes we have to wait patiently for the display to come. The exact same thing happened yesterday which is why I freaked out initially. I doubt my older cable was an issue for 1080p.

Btw UI speed is flawless and remote is the best part. I was playing with it yesterday. On the whole the device is little costly but user experience is unmatched.

Attachments

• E2B2225F-E99C-465A-B584-4EB4A0124B71.jpeg
    E2B2225F-E99C-465A-B584-4EB4A0124B71.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I ordered the Amazon one yesterday that has 18gbps thoughtput which I think is currently enough for 1080p. I thought of ordering a 2.1 cable but was not sure it will work properly or not. Other thing that I noticed was Apple TV switches output resolution every 20 seconds upon first connecting so till the time it can get down to 1080p which is at least a good 2-3 minutes we have to wait patiently for the display to come. The exact same thing happened yesterday which is why I freaked out initially. I doubt my older cable was an issue for 1080p.
1080p can be handled by pretty much any old HDMI cable.
I am not sure what you are referring to when you say that o/p resolution switches every 20 seconds.

After the initial setup, the TV screen should come on within a second or two of the ATV waking up from sleep. If you have enabled HDMI CEC, the power button on the ATV should wake both TV and ATV together (and put them in standby together) .

Playback should be instantaneous if you haven't enabled frame rate/ dynamic range matching - or should take 1-2 seconds if enabled (or instantaneous if TV supports VRR).
Given your TV is 1080p (i am assuming this), everything (power on/playback start etc) should be near instantaneous even with old HDMI cables

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are referring to when you say that o/p resolution switches every 20 seconds.

After the initial setup, the TV screen should come on within a second or two of the ATV waking up from sleep. If you have enabled HDMI CEC, the power button on the ATV should wake both TV and ATV together (and put them in standby together) .

Playback should be instantaneous if you haven't enabled frame rate/ dynamic range matching - or should take 1-2 seconds if enabled (or instantaneous if TV supports VRR).
Given your TV is 1080p (i am assuming this), everything (power on/playback start etc) should be near instantaneous even with old HDMI cables
Yep my old hdmi cable was also working but on other TV which got an instant display but not on my room's one which took it's own sweet time.

I was actually referring to this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200197. It mentions the 20 second part.

Yes both ATV and TV switches on and off together without needing Sony remote, can go even on standby together.

Any benefit of enabling dynamic range matching, it is disabled currently.

Last edited:
Yep my old hdmi cable was also working but on other TV which got an instant display but not on my room's one which took it's own sweet time.

I was actually referring to this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200197. It mentions the 20 second part.

Yes both ATV and TV switches on and off together without needing Sony remote, can go even on standby together.

Any benefit of enabling dynamic range matching, it is disabled currently.
You should enable it if your TV supports HDR.
If you disable this, ATV will send output in HDR only / SDR only depending on what you have chosen in video settings.

With this flag enabled and output set to 4K/1080p SDR, SDR content (ie majority) will render in SDR as expected - but box will switch output to HDR when it detects HDR content playing.

Getting insane speeds on this particular Airtel server even though my plan is of 100mbps. I have disabled 2.4ghz band and using 5ghz exclusively on 80mhz channel.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_0091.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 134
Anyone here who is using HomePod with Apple TV 4K
Do you have any updates? I'm thinking about ordering pair of mini for apple tv. How good it would be? I'm already using bose soundtouch 30 through airplay and it's too good.

Anyone has idea whether mini stereo pair can be better or equal to soundtouch 30?

Do you have any updates? I'm thinking about ordering pair of mini for apple tv. How good it would be? I'm already using bose soundtouch 30 through airplay and it's too good.

Anyone has idea whether mini stereo pair can be better or equal to soundtouch 30?
I have no idea honestly, maybe @renegade can shed some light on this as he has soundtouch and also a mini.

Just want to confirm, Siri on remote doesn't work if you set region as India right?
Its working for me. I set the region as India

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 10.05.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 10.05.40 PM.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 86
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 10.06.34 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 10.06.34 PM.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 105
Back