Apple Unveils iPhone 5 ,4" Display , 7.6mm thick , 2x faster Processor & More

I am still unable to understand why everyone is saying samsung will sue apple on LTE and all. If samsung can sue apple then why they did not do when new iPad was launched ? It had an LTE version too right ?
Would appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this.

Because Apple supposedly does not license LTE patents which Samsung owns under FRAND saying they are too costly, and uses it for free in their devices. I think (not sure, frankly i've stopped reading these A vs S lawsuit news) Samsung sued Apple for lte infringement in Australia or some other country regarding the ipad with lte, and it (ipad) was banned for sometime there. ipad lte is not true lte since it works only on some carriers in some countries. This new chip has support for lte bands in many more countries compared to its predecessor.

I, for one, would like to thank Apple for giving Microsoft and Nokia the breathing space by making the most boring iPhone launch till now.

I would really like Nokia to come back and be amongst the top players. Lumia 920 shows that they are not ready to give up so soon.

Also waiting for an announcement from HTC with their rumoured flagship Windows phone - 4.8", 720p screen, Quad-core processor.

Q4 was going to be really good and Apple's boring and uninspired announcement is like cherry on top of the cake! :D

I am really disappointed. There should have been some design change. 4 4s 5 all look same.
Look of UI, icons should have been changed with ios 6. It all looks so boring and same.( atleast give option of some themes)
People will say its smooth, ecosystem, blah blah but honestly I am sick and tired of this banal approach.
I think its all about time. Nokia was once leader. Samsung and apple are leaders at the moment. Apple was about to get bankrupt. Only that company will survive which can keep on innovating.

I, for one, would like to thank Apple for giving Microsoft and Nokia the breathing space by making the most boring iPhone launch till now.

I would really like Nokia to come back and be amongst the top players. Lumia 920 shows that they are not ready to give up so soon.

Also waiting for an announcement from HTC with their rumoured flagship Windows phone - 4.8", 720p screen, Quad-core processor.

Q4 was going to be really good and Apple's boring and uninspired announcement is like cherry on top of the cake! :D
Isn't this what people said when the 4s was launched before they went on to sell 4 million units in its first weekend.

Why the iPhone 5 will sell:

1. Bigger screen. So what if it is only a wee bit more. Quality matters.
2. Newer OS. I get 100000 more features. Of which I will use 10-20.
3. There is no plastic. Aluminum and glass are the way to go. Even if it feels like shiat in my hands.
4. New connector. We love the way Apple garden walls us, and we cannot jump out. Boo ooo (searching eBay frantically for a cheaper version).
5. It is lighter. Still feels like shiat in my hands.
6. Looks the same as 4S. Yea, change is the only constant in life. Duh...Apple defies that. No change.
7. Everyone has one. I want one.

*plus they got to justify the 1B pi$$ing contest they had pointing their thingy on Samsung's face. I guess Samsung will laugh last, and harder.

Lumia 920 ftw :D I found Apple event boring for the first time :-( Innovator is already gone. I hope Nokia device will sell like hot cakes (PLEASE REDUCE THE GODDAMMIT PRICE.... NOKIA)

Isn't this what people said when the 4s was launched before they went on to sell 4 million units in its first weekend.

Yeah, that might be true but the perception is changing now. Spent quite some time looking at articles on the new iPhone 5 on different sites and the comments below them. This time, the users are ready to wait too. Nokia did a very, very smart thing by showing off their Lumia 920 before the iPhone 5 release. It has got Apple beat on specs and features. Many people are seriously considering waiting till the end of the year to get a Lumia.

Nokia just has to live up to the promise and Windows Phone 8 has to deliver - which looks quite real to me.

Also, last month S3 overtook iPhone in sales in the U.S. . No one remains on the top forever. Innovation and timing are the key to success. For me, this looks like MS and Nokia's time. Another factor to consider is that iPhone leads in sales only in the U.S. Everywhere else, Windows Phone 7 and Android are doing pretty well.

For me, this isn't only about sales.

I will have no temptation in my mind to get an iPhone 5 when I finally part with my HD7. I know that I won't be compromising anywhere.

Apple just makes a few improvements and launches a new phone giving it the next number in the series(5 in this case).I guess i will see an iPhone 100 in my life but it would still look and feel just like a regular iPhone 4 :lol:

Yeah, that might be true but the perception is changing now. Spent quite some time looking at articles on the new iPhone 5 on different sites and the comments below them. This time, the users are ready to wait too. Nokia did a very, very smart thing by showing off their Lumia 920 before the iPhone 5 release. It has got Apple beat on specs and features. Many people are seriously considering waiting till the end of the year to get a Lumia.

Nokia just has to live up to the promise and Windows Phone 8 has to deliver - which looks quite real to me.

Also, last month S3 overtook iPhone in sales in the U.S. . No one remains on the top forever. Innovation and timing are the key to success. For me, this looks like MS and Nokia's time. Another factor to consider is that iPhone leads in sales only in the U.S. Everywhere else, Windows Phone 7 and Android are doing pretty well.

For me, this isn't only about sales.

I will have no temptation in my mind to get an iPhone 5 when I finally part with my HD7. I know that I won't be compromising anywhere.

Obviously iPhone 4s sales slumped last month, not a lot of people buy a phone that's going to be upgraded next month.

Comparing iPhone to Android or Windows Phone doesn't mean anything. Its like saying bar phones are outselling flip ones. Apple gets all the profits from the iPhone sales, whereas in Android and WP, they are divided among lots of phones and companies.

Sure, the Lumia 920 looks good. but the pricing on a lot of websites suggests 600 euros which will be suicidal for Nokia. I am not saying that the 920 doesn't deserve to be priced as much as the iPhone but the problem is Apple seems to have a much better brand perception. Look at the One X vs Galaxy SIII. SIII is probably much much ahead on sales but I personally liked the One X more and bought it. Samsung is able to market their phones a lot better than HTC.

Coming back to Apple, they are still supporting the 2 and a half year old iPhone 4 with the latest iOS 6. The Lumia 900, which came out this year, will not get Windows Phone 8. If I was a Lumia 900 owner, I'd be pretty pissed. it will get the stripped down 7.8 like the 3GS is getting iOS 6.

iPhone is huge. It is the most successful single product in nearly a century. It is just 1 model that rakes in 77% profits of the entire smartphone industry. It makes more money than the entire Microsoft combined.

They cannot take chances any more. This is like the Corolla of the tech world. All improvements are bound to be incremental. Let's also not forget that Apple has one of the smallest R&D budgets among tech companies. Apple are master marketers and despite all these complaints above I am certain sales are going to be through the roof. Anyone watching they keynote would know of all the massive hyperbole, every change was heralded as "world's most advanced" and "world's first", including the 16:9 aspect ratio, which is apparently a brilliant "invention". Worst was the claim that it was "world's thinnest" which is objectively false. Guess what, people buy such bullshit! Not just people, but the press present at the keynote were going nuts. The Lumia keynote on the other hand was much more subdued even though the Lumia products themselves were far more innovative. Marketing matters above all else. If the press and media can fall for it, so can the casual buyer.

S3 has sold 20 million units in 4 months, which is ridiculously good, but I bet iPhone 5 will get to 20 million in 2 weeks. There's no stopping Apple, they are on their way to world domination.

Yes, of course on tech forums we are well informed to know that there are better alternatives out there, but we are a small minority.

@manu1991 it still does not change the fact that the iOS experience is closed, Android and Windows Phone as an OS keep improving have a larger price-spread and can be seen working on a variety of devices (and hardware).

I doubt you can try to run iOS as smoothly on hardware specifications of Android phones in the ~18000/- price bracket.

Also as a device the i<insert name here> lineup is luxury above sensibility, the way they are engineered and constructed is crazy in itself, the machining of a solid aluminium block is an expensive and wasteful process that is followed in only two industries --
  • Aircraft production and shipwright
  • luxury goods
People pay through the skin of their teeth for stuff that holds no practical value, at the end of the day it is a call someone has to make, some take it, some do not.

Windows Phone 7.5 was a taste, Windows 8 is a new product from the ground up, it has the same kernel that resides in a PC / Laptop OS, try to run your integrated Mac environment on iOS, it is like that. The entirety of the team that worked on Windows 7 -->7.8 knew it was a flawed OS (too closed) to actually stand up against Android but they had to bait people so that they could build up some hype for Windows Phone 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
252566_415061098540988_1827995626_n.jpg
This is the future of Apple

I doubt you can try to run iOS as smoothly on hardware specifications of Android phones in the ~18000/- price bracket.
The iPhone 4 runs it pretty smoothly. and it has the same hardware specifications as the original Samsung Galaxy S.

+1 to @Sub - that's what I wanted to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously iPhone 4s sales slumped last month, not a lot of people buy a phone that's going to be upgraded next month.

Comparing iPhone to Android or Windows Phone doesn't mean anything. Its like saying bar phones are outselling flip ones. Apple gets all the profits from the iPhone sales, whereas in Android and WP, they are divided among lots of phones and companies.

Actually it does. Sure, Apple gets the most out of an iPhone sale but it shows that people's perceptions are changing. Apple is only dominant in US because of massively carrier subsidized phone prices.

Let me ask you something. Let's say Apple did not release the iPhone in 2007. They did not have even "basic" features like copy and paste. They did not have an app store in place. No 3G. They should have waited another 1-2 years. Right?

Don't know what you feel but you can understand that it is a stupid thing to do. I agree that Windows Phone 7 is a closed ecosystem and a little incomplete (though Mango addressed most of my complaints) but that was a brand new idea that had to be tested first. Of course they didn't have everything in place since it was built from the ground-up but they delivered a fantastic new experience. Windows Phone 8 is a finished product which should be really amazing. To all those people who bought the Lumia 900 for $50 on contract abroad, it is still a pretty good deal considering they will get all OS based upgrades. And your own example stands true here. If I was an informed buyer, I would not have invested in a Lumia 900 if I knew Lumia 920 was going to release soon ("soon" might not be the most appropriate word since Lumia 900 was launched in April - around 7-8 months before 920)

I am not following you when you say that Lumia 920 should not be priced at par with iPhone. It is not the same as 900 vs iPhone 4S. 920 has iPhone 5 beat on all features. Higher resolution, higher PPI, slightly better camera (yet to be confirmed), better maps etc.. The only thing in favor of the iPhone is the thickness and bulk. And very few people buy it without contract abroad, so don't worry on that part. Very few people abroad shell out £600 straight up. That would be us :p

Look at the One X vs Galaxy SIII. SIII is probably much much ahead on sales but I personally liked the One X more and bought it. Samsung is able to market their phones a lot better than HTC.

I did not understand this part. Samsung is much better than HTC when it comes to marketing, but you went for One X because you liked it. Are you trying to conclude something here?

The iPhone 4 runs it pretty smoothly. and it has the same hardware specifications as the original Samsung Galaxy S.

You are forgetting to add that the you are paying double for the same specs of an 18k phone. Many people can't do that.

Its like NFS Series after NFS Most Wanted 2005. All they could 'innovate' are done and they got no more.

And if Apple doesn't pull up its socks, it is going to go the same way as the Most Wanted series.

Actually it does. Sure, Apple gets the most out of an iPhone sale but it shows that people's perceptions are changing. Apple is only dominant in US because of massively carrier subsidized phone prices.
How? If iPhone sales slump in only the month preceding the launch of a new one and then pick up again, does that show that people's perceptions are changing?

You say that very few people buy without contract abroad. And you say that Apple is successful only because of the contract subsidized system. Don't those two statements together imply that the iPhone 5 would be successful as well.

And there are a lot of high income countries like Singapore, Germany, Hong Kong where unlocked phones are pretty popular as well.

Let me ask you something. Let's say Apple did not release the iPhone in 2007. They did not have even "basic" features like copy and paste. They did not have an app store in place. No 3G. They should have waited another 1-2 years. Right?
No. because when Apple launched the iPhone, their competition was Windows Mobile 6 - which was a laughable excuse for an operating system and Symbian with their resistive screens and ugly UI's. When Windows Phone was launched in end 2010, both Android and iOS had matured quite a lot. So Microsoft didn't have the luxury Apple did. Isnt this a failure on Microsoft's part that only after Apple's success in the Mobile market did they realize that they needed to focus on the consumer segment and not the enterprise one, where Blackberry was already beating them hollow.

I did not understand this part. Samsung is much better than HTC when it comes to marketing, but you went for One X because you liked it. Are you trying to conclude something here?
Yes. Specs/Build Quality/Features matter for very little when it comes to sales. Desirability/Marketing/Brand Appeal are more important factors. Which is where Apple edges out Nokia. That's all i was trying to say.

What the hell everyone is fighting about?
None of us have used it,and we are giving expert opinions!
No matter how powerful a phone Samsung makes,people will complain about how awfully cheap it looks.

No matter how beautiful a phone Apple makes,it will miss a few bells and whistles and we will start complaining!!

Come on guys!
NFC or no NFC it is a mighty good phone with a very nice and stable os.

Don't like it...go ahead buy a Lumia!

This iteration of the iPhone fails to impress and I believe this time the Sales of the iPhones will depict similar story.

The only innovation Apple now does is decreasing the size of Sim Cards from Micro to Nano :p and changing connector name and sizes.
The new iPhone has such dearth of features that even a long existent feature like Panorama has to be presented as an innovation.

The most innovative device in my opinion this year was Lumia 920 with breakthroughs in Screen Sensitivity and Pureview camera coupled with wireless charging makes it a Killer Device.

Apple is now only playing catch up game with the competition setting the standards and Apple following it that too not completely.

Back