Apples Anyone?

T42 said:
@MHG

Thanks for those leads. Are you thinking of doing this on a Windows 7 type machine running UNIX/LINUX? If so, can it run Windows and Windows programs as a child processes under UNIX?
You can dual boot Windows 7 and UNIX/Linux. OR you can install Windows 7 in a virtual machine. But no the apps are definitely not inter-compatible.

And with a budget of 2000USD, which equates to approximately 90000INR, you can get an amazing graphics workstation built WITH original software and a PROPER high end graphics card. Consider it seriously. All you need to do is buy the components and you can build yourself a rig with components like:

1. Dual 1080p Monitors

2. Intel Sandy Bridge Quad Core CPUs

3. ATI Radeon HD6000 or nVidia GTX500 series high end graphics card

4. 4*4 16GB DDR3 RAM

5. WD Black 2*1TB HDD in RAID

and so on.... you can NEVER expect that kind of performance from a mac at the same budget ;)

And still if you need OSX experience, just head over to the TonyMacOSX forums. They have an excellent list of PC hardware components which works out-of-the-box with OSX with minimum level of hacking. They also have an excellent guide on installing OSX on regular PCs.

Dual boot Windows7 & OSX without buying overpriced Apple hardware.

It is a matter of choice.

It's my personal belief that once you go Mac, you never go back to PC.

I bought my first mac in 2007. I will never buy a PC again unless I can't afford to buy a Mac.

stevejobs said:
It is a matter of choice.

It's my personal belief that once you go Mac, you never go back to PC.

I bought my first mac in 2007. I will never buy a PC again unless I can't afford to buy a Mac.
Correction. It should be: once you leave windows you'll never come back :D

I know people who have moved from windows to slackware, archlinux, mac, ubuntu, fedora, even FreeBSD and Solaris (for different purposes obviously) and are not planning to install windows ever again.

MHG said:
Correction. It should be: once you leave windows you'll never come back :D

I know people who have moved from windows to slackware, archlinux, mac, ubuntu, fedora, even FreeBSD and Solaris (for different purposes obviously) and are not planning to install windows ever again.
That's a very silly attitude. There are new versions of OS released frequently, which could change things significantly.

Sub said:
That's a very silly attitude. There are new versions of OS released frequently, which could change things significantly.
Well you may be right about new versions releasing that have vast improvements over their predecessors. But many people who move OUT of windows, especially from something like XP, they find it very hard to return. Somehow the learning curve of windows 7 seems harder than even ArchLinux. So many power users who don't use windows-only applications don't seem to want to return IF AND ONLY IF they feel really comfortable with linux. And casual users, or those who can work with the professional apps that run in Apple OS, somehow get dragged so deeply into the mac world that they too rarely seem to want to switch.

Finally its a matter of personal preference, so opinions vary. Its just my opinion stated above and its just "stevejobs"'s opinion stated in the post before mine ;)

Back