Appliance to detect malfunction in Power Supplies

Folks,

I have a 3 phase meter at home along with neighbors in our building. One of the neighbors has an issue where in one of the phase and neutral shorted up and gave some real bad damages to the wires. There telephone charger is all burnt up. The MSEB trip was also burnt.

So the question is: Is there a device which will switch off the whole power supply as soon as the voltage goes over the safe limits?

Can anything be done about such scenarios? Any ideas?

~LT

well breaker switches like mcb protect u from short circuit or if u draw to much load it shuts down preventing burning of wires.but i don't think they protect from high voltage since in my house these devices permitted a voltage of 290 to 300volts and the fans used to run at full speed even at lowest settings and tube lights choke used to get so hot that the black fumes made a mark on the wall.
however stabilizer and powerconditioners do the job of regulating the voltage.

6pack said:
arent those RCB trips like a sort of circuit breaker to prevent against short circuits?
you have this or want one of these?
Miniature Circuit Breaker,MCB Distribution Board,Miniature Circuit Breaker Supplier,MCB Distribution Board Manufacturers,India

well i have the mcb and even advanced electronic mcb which prevents u from getting a shock ,even if a lightning hits about 200meters aways in someones house it will shutdown the power to ur house,if u accidently touch the live wire it will shutdown and it has happened many times to me and i didn't feel the shock but it did shutdown.
but all these devices won't protect from high voltage since i have seen these devices allowing even 300volts.

Back