Are Air Coolers any useful ?

One has to consult with the landlord and moreover in many cases if one is not going to stay beyond 11 months and changes the house every 11 Months then fitting the AC becomes cumbersome.

Pretty sure most landlords wouldn't have issues with installing split ACs that require a small cutout in the wall that can be easily patched by yourself when you are vacating the home. All he (the landlord i.e.) needs is an assurance that you will patch it and paint it while you are vacating the house. Installation would be a breeze if you are locating the outdoor unit atop the sunshade of the window (if there is one i.e.) or resting it on a flat floor so that you need wall mount it. Most installation guys charge around 500-800 bucks for a refit at a new place.

Window AC should not be a problem as it wont require much fitting to that of Split.

Do check Croma, They have some portable AC (movable type) & hose coming out which you need to keep outside of home. (I guess exhaust).
They come with 2 yrs croma warranty.

Heat in Pune is more. lol... Visit region like Chennai, I will admire you if you can stay atleast for 1 day without AC. You will sweat while showerin :)

Welcome to Global Warming....

It's the dry heat mate !

Sweating is good as it cools down your body, this kind of dry heat is what makes you really uncomfortable. Whenever I go to Mumbai, I sweat a lot but don't feel uncomfortable at all. Places like Nashik and Pune have lesser humidity due to their elevation but bad part is the heat gets unbearable in years when it's above normal, like it is now.

I've found a table fan to do the job perfectly for me !

As I wrote earlier nothing to beat air coolers in comfort level and electricity cost for dry weather but come humidity and air coolers are a nightmare.

I am in Delhi and am trying to finalize between LLoyd Weatherite LC65HC Air Cooler and Symphony Diet 50E Cooler. I see lots of complaint about Symphony products online. Can anyone help me to finalize which one will be more effective in terms of cooling and less bothering in terms of maintenance.
Have ordered symphony 22ti cooler will get tom or day after will get back after iget it

I am in Delhi and am trying to finalize between LLoyd Weatherite LC65HC Air Cooler and Symphony Diet 50E Cooler.

check out other people's experience with "room coolers". the kind of coolers that you've mentioned don't like closed spaces. unless, you find a model equipped with "dehumidifier", don't buy standalone room coolers. they may cool a room but make it clammy as well.

^ We have been using air coolers since last....34 years now. They are much better alternative to AC when the climate is dry and hot. As everyone else has pointed out, the minute it gets humid, air coolers lose its effectiveness. All thru my childhood, we have use aircoolers with pump on during the day, and pump off during nights. Now, I am not sure if newer modern aircoolers come with an option to switch off the water pump.

Regards,

The new ones come with humidity control wherein it acts like a timer for the water pump. At lowest level pump works All the time but as u increase it pump gets cut off at regular intervals for 10-30 minutes.

The new ones come with humidity control wherein it acts like a timer for the water pump. At lowest level pump works All the time but as u increase it pump gets cut off at regular intervals for 10-30 minutes.
Humdity control is all gimmick it has more cons then pros ,when water is cut off after few minutes foul smell will engulf the room.

Can anyone enlighten me on how Air Coolers are a good alternative to ACs? And which model exactly? When I was a kid, we didn't have an AC in the house, but only a Air Cooler. But I never felt it was better or even 1/4th of my Samsung AC that I currently use

Can anyone enlighten me on how Air Coolers are a good alternative to ACs?

your statement is correct... air coolers can't be an alternative to ACs. air coolers may work for places like rajasthan but i don't know if it stays dry throughout the year.

we can't compare apples to oranges. ACs and coolers are totally different technologies and they can't replace each other but they can compliment each other to achieve more efficiency.

a ducted rooftop industrial air cooler can be a cheaper alternative during hot and dry days. industrial air coolers require less maintenance, they can be automated and one cooler is sufficient for the whole house (ducted).

ACs can be put on standby for those humid and very hot days. or they can be used alongwith coolers with proper dehumidifiers.

I was thinking about the mobile AC but then i am not sure how it works, as in AC requires the compressor to be out of house right ? So if i do get a mobile AC then does that mean i need to keep it at the window with it back facing the window and keeping it open entire time of operation ?...

I got a portable AC (Cruise - desi brand) due to the same reasons as you (rented flat/no provisio for window AC/installing a split AC and uninstalling it again is costly). regarding the workings...you have a hose which you need to vent out. If the flat has sliding windows, then it is very easy. else you will have to make a wooden board with which you could close the window. It is not very efficient compared to split or window AC and also very noisy. But does the job neverthless. It will cost a lil more to run as some of the cooled air is also vented out. I did suggest go for a dessert cooler especially of the space permits you to place it directly outside the window. it works best that way, the hotter the air, the better it is able to cool the room.

Can anyone enlighten me on how Air Coolers are a good alternative to ACs? And which model exactly? When I was a kid, we didn't have an AC in the house, but only a Air Cooler. But I never felt it was better or even 1/4th of my Samsung AC that I currently use

The ones that are alternative to AC's doesnt come in branding . They are made locally , large ones make some noise and i like/prefer the chilling effect of air coolers over ac's .

Air Cooler owner here - Mumbai area.
I bought Symphony Diet 50i three weeks back (R.s 8.6k) and extremely satisfied with the purchase.

Firstly Air cooler are not a replacement for AC's; lets be clear on this.
  1. Air coolers do a much much better job that regular fans as they throw cooler air
  2. As long as you are in the line of its air throw, it will offer you respite from heat
  3. windows/doors to be open to allow maximum air circulation
  4. coolers are not for cooling the room, but will cool the person(s) who is in its line of air throw
  5. they're but noisy, but what else can you get at a fraction of AC's cost and power consumption
  6. Movable. You can't have A/C's in all rooms (not everyone atleast :) )
  7. I am from mumbai - never felt the need to put ice in this one. just normal tap water
  8. this model Diel 50i is a tall design (4ft 3inch), so its prefect height throwing air from top to a larger area
  9. tall design helps when sleeping on bed, since it throws air from top, saving the discomfort of direct air on one person
  10. No issue of extra humidity due to cooler (mumbai remember) as mentioned by most ppl IF the windows are left open or there is proper air circulation
Last, but not the least; extremely useful for my mom in kitchen during cooking. you can't have a AC there o_O and neither can the fan be put on high, since it will affect the burner and blow it off. Even if you mange to turn the fan high, it will throw hot air since kitchen area is hot. The cooler is a life saver here. it throws cool air and we can control the direction. Mom's happy :) paisa vasool :)

I have used symphony coolers & found them to be quiet bad at what they are meant to do. I am using Avis room cooler from last 3 years & it works awesome & got it for 7K..

I have used symphony coolers & found them to be quiet bad at what they are meant to do. I am using Avis room cooler from last 3 years & it works awesome & got it for 7K..

would you please elaborate? just curious, as even i did read pretty bad reviews about symphony, but this model was the best i found suitable for my needs, particularly the tall design.

would you please elaborate? just curious, as even i did read pretty bad reviews about symphony, but this model was the best i found suitable for my needs, particularly the tall design.
Buddy, I live in delhi & summers here are dry. I have used Symphony Kaizen gold one of their best model with really good reviews of its time & I didn't liked him from day one. Moreover, some of my friends have used other Symphony models & they are ok with it. For using any room cooler you need to make sure there is one ample exit for the air thrown by cooler so that it can use the cooled air for cooling it more as they generally don't have efficiency of desert coolers but my particular symphony model was not able to do any intended work in any given situation or with any permutation or combination (jugaad). The one Avis cooler which I am using currently is pretty efficient & as good as desert cooler. Moreover pretty low maintenance as I have not changed its pads from last 3 years & it is still working as good as new.

P.S. Don't use any type of coolers in Humid climate.

I would stand by the above suggestion. Don't use coolers in humid places. Besides, it cools air by adding moisture into it, therefore these coolers could damage electronic items in its throw.

Back