Are smart watches worth it?

Apple never comes down when it comes to pricing. They would rather kill the product than reduce the price for masses.

You will be surprised if you see how costly Garmin watches are. They are losing sales yet the price stays premium because of the BoM, research and company costs.
I don't know about Garmin, never saw anyone wearing them.
Apple is to be blamed as well, all those other companies thinking they can match the price of apple products but not the functionality and accuracy.

There are cheap watches already, starting at 999/-.

All those cheaper watches are a joke in my view. Only good as an average step counter.

Just saying that companies like Apple would rather kill the product than cut pricing. Garmin’s trekking watches are mind blowing. They are not meant for those who workout for 30 minutes a day. They are meant for those who go to places where these is no network.

Imagine a world where nobody bought smartwatches that are priced at Rs.50K+, companies would have understood customers aren't interested in paying high so we would have got them for a much lesser price.
As long as people buy them, the price keeps going higher and higher, bringing greater profits to companies and lesser value to customers.
It is the right way to look at it. But nothing is just in this world. Do you think people actually possess any grey matter anymore to undertake rational decision making? They need show off, extravaganza etc and smartwatches do exactly that. Wish people were capable to relate the utility of these gadgets with their asking price.

So yeah these well keep on selling for a while. And I'll keep keep laughing inside.

It is the right way to look at it. But nothing is just in this world. Do you think people actually possess any grey matter anymore to undertake rational decision making? They need show off, extravaganza etc and smartwatches do exactly that. Wish people were capable to relate the utility of these gadgets with their asking price.

So yeah these well keep on selling for a while. And I'll keep keep laughing inside.
Whoa. What you said again is exactly what my grandpa says about computers. He still thinks that people are wasting money on computers and other electronics. He too thinks people lack grey matter to undertake whatever you think we are not able to undertake. That a computer is a showoff and is an extravaganza.

Whoa. What you said again is exactly what my grandpa says about computers. He still thinks that people are wasting money on computers and other electronics. He too thinks people lack grey matter to undertake whatever you think we are not able to undertake. That a computer is a showoff and is an extravaganza.
which apple watch you got btw? I really wish apple made it compatible with Android devices, I like Garmin too but they are way too utilitarian for my taste.

I have been an apple watch user since 2017 and currently have the series 7. I value this device a lot and I totally get when someone who hasn't used will say I am exaggerating and I can do without it which I can.
But for me, this helps me with my health goals, nudges me to move, stand up etc. Tells me to drink water (thru another app).
And most importantly I use siri extensively for setting reminders as I am very forgetful and just dictating to siri works better for me.
Spending 30k-50k on a smart watch which you need to charge daily is bonkers but I do it. Only due to the value I perceive It brings to me.
It is one of those things you keep saying I don't need it or is not useful unless you yourself started using it.
And I trust the sensors of apple watch more than cheapo brands that claim to give everything for 4k. I even tried it couple of months back when I got stress test wherein they attach like 10 electrodes to your chest and make you walk and jog on treadmill for like 10-15 min and measure your heart rate and ECG I guess.
I kept my apple watch heart app on all the time and kept comparing the BPM to doctors monitor and variance was like max 2bpm.

I have been an apple watch user since 2017 and currently have the series 7. I value this device a lot and I totally get when someone who hasn't used will say I am exaggerating and I can do without it which I can.
But for me, this helps me with my health goals, nudges me to move, stand up etc. Tells me to drink water (thru another app).
And most importantly I use siri extensively for setting reminders as I am very forgetful and just dictating to siri works better for me.
Spending 30k-50k on a smart watch which you need to charge daily is bonkers but I do it. Only due to the value I perceive It brings to me.
It is one of those things you keep saying I don't need it or is not useful unless you yourself started using it.
And I trust the sensors of apple watch more than cheapo brands that claim to give everything for 4k. I even tried it couple of months back when I got stress test wherein they attach like 10 electrodes to your chest and make you walk and jog on treadmill for like 10-15 min and measure your heart rate and ECG I guess.
I kept my apple watch heart app on all the time and kept comparing the BPM to doctors monitor and variance was like max 2bpm.
It is indeed worth it if you value the data and use it to shape your lifestyle, especially as you grow older. My non-health use case is also to do with reminders, timers, sometimes picking up calls on the watch from unknown callers and nearly always for OTP.

I have a relative who used one of those 4k watches from Bolt/Ambrane or whatever and that person got a lot more tensed looking at the high HR reading on that watch. I put on my Apple Watch on his wrist and the reading was consistently 5-10 BPM lower than the cheaper watch and in line with the ECG that was undertaken in an emergency room with a variance of 2-3 BPM. Sometimes inaccurate data can be a lot more harmful than useful.

Of all the things you could potentially show off, smart watches arent one of them I think.

1688768564805.png

Look at that staggering innovation in design. You cant even tell what someone is wearing.

If you ever see someone try to show off an Apple watch, make sure you tell them "my uncle has the same Boat watch" and see them sputter. :p

Not bonkers for others but quite a surprise for you
Heartbeat isn't difficult to measure but there are other parameters they pretend to measure as well which are dodgy. Sure I've posted about this some time back

Of all the things you could potentially show off, smart watches arent one of them I think.

View attachment 172483

Look at that staggering innovation in design. You cant even tell what someone is wearing.

If you ever see someone try to show off an Apple watch, make sure you tell them "my uncle has the same Boat watch" and see them sputter. :p
Do people even talk about smart watches when talking to each other? I guess not in most cases.

For people talking about Garmin and Apple.
Just want to say I tested my Garmin instinct 1 with Apple watch ultra both on same person wearing at same time and the distance was 100% same on both.

Rest of the stats I didn't care to care to compare.

I use my mi band 6 mainly for getting text and call notifications. I’ve kinda become ignorant about my phone ringtones and notification tone, 70% of the time I just don’t register it.

I took a break from the band for 1 week, I pretty much missed 70% of my calls and notifications

Back