Are smart watches worth it?

Dieting alone is the worst way to lose weight and majority rebound the moment they get the cravings back.
If you want to lose weight, then going to the kitchen is the only proper way. Maintaining weight is difficult, and it can only be achieved by controlling your food intake. You can never burn enough calories through working out, and you may feel even hungrier afterwards. Most people fail to lose weight because they focus on the wrong areas. During the lockdown, I managed to lose 20kgs by consuming fewer calories, and since then, I have maintained my weight by eating at maintenance calories.

You should engage in physical activity or work out primarily for overall physical and mental health, rather than solely for weight loss. I personally follow a full-body workout routine twice a week using 2kg weights (yes, you read it right, just 2kgs). Over the past three years, I have consistently gained muscle without putting excessive strain on my body or elevating my heart rate to high levels.

I had Amazfit GTR2e. Nothing amazing in that watch except the price.
As per the "The Quantified Scientist" guy on youtube, none of those amazfit watches are worth considering for fitness activties. Even Galaxy watch comes average. Apple watches and garmin are only ones he often glorifies though.

It was a glorified pedometer.
These days the word pedometer sounds too horrible to listen to. I will call it step-counter.

That's possible, but as soon as you eat more calories, you gain weight again. One cannot eat fewer calories their whole life.
Also, weight loss is different from fat loss. One needs to check what kind of 'loss' they are getting. You definitely don't want muscle loss.
You need to consistently control your calorie intake throughout your life. There is no alternative approach. It is an ongoing commitment, similar to brushing our teeth every day. If I happen to consume more calories than intended in a week, I compensate by fasting for one day to balance the calorie intake.

Once you reach your desired target weight, whatever it may be, maintain your calorie intake at the maintenance level. If you happen to exceed your intended calorie intake, occasionally incorporate fasting as a means to compensate. Additionally, engage in light resistance training twice a week. It is beneficial to undergo a full-body yearly test to ensure you are receiving adequate nutrition, and if necessary, supplement with a multivitamin. These steps are sufficient to maintain good health. Anything more would likely provide only marginal benefits, which may not be worth the time and effort in my opinion.

As per the "The Quantified Scientist" guy on youtube, none of those amazfit watches are worth considering for fitness activties. Even Galaxy watch comes average. Apple watches and garmin are only ones he often glorifies though.

These days the word pedometer sounds too horrible to listen to. I will call it step-counter.
He was spot on about Amazfit. It was so bad that there are many times when I was huffing and puffing and HR would be 70ish. Moreover, little bit of vibrations and the readings go haywire. Keeps on saying ‘please wear your watch properly’

Are digital watches worth it?

well, the worth of some things depends upon person to person, All I can say is "Shauk badi cheej hoti hai" don't know the exact translation of this in English, and there are a thousand reasons to buy something if you want to buy it.
I remember the office boy telling me how smartwatches are important to track health n all, after some conversations later he was telling me how life Insurance and mediclaims are like lottery and he dosent want to invest in them.:what?:

Are digital watches worth it?

well, the worth of some things depends upon person to person, All I can say is "Shauk badi cheej hoti hai" don't know the exact translation of this in English, and there are a thousand reasons to buy something if you want to buy it.
I remember the office boy telling me how smartwatches are important to track health n all, after some conversations later he was telling me how life Insurance and mediclaims are like lottery and he dosent want to invest in them.:what?:
Probably, for him, two lemons and two red chillies provide utmost safety.

You need to consistently control your calorie intake throughout your life. There is no alternative approach. It is an ongoing commitment, similar to brushing our teeth every day. If I happen to consume more calories than intended in a week, I compensate by fasting for one day to balance the calorie intake.
This calorie restriction "throughout your life" is very rarely achievable and only very few people can do it.
I don't think a person can be happy by restricting food intake throughout life. I salute those souls who can do this their entire life. But we are humans, and we don't just need to eat, sometimes we want to eat too. Instead of such strict restriction, eat well (atleast occasionally) in a healthy way and compensate that by doing exercise. That way you can be healthy, stronger and happier too.
Fasting is also great for this. But I prefer fasting for more cleanup and healing activities.

It is an ongoing commitment, similar to brushing our teeth every day.
We don't brush all day. It's hardly a 3-minute activity. Eating is different.

Once you reach your desired target weight, whatever it may be, maintain your calorie intake at the maintenance level. If you happen to exceed your intended calorie intake, occasionally incorporate fasting as a means to compensate.
If you eat fewer calories everyday, your body adjusts BMR level based on your intake. That way, someday your body adjusts and might need 1300 calories only but you eat consistently 1500 calories.

Additionally, engage in light resistance training twice a week. It is beneficial to undergo a full-body yearly test to ensure you are receiving adequate nutrition, and if necessary, supplement with a multivitamin. These steps are sufficient to maintain good health. Anything more would likely provide only marginal benefits, which may not be worth the time and effort in my opinion.
Agee with this. Also, better food > any supplements. I wish better food is easily available. I cannot buy many kgs of carrots, tomatoes and few vegetables in this current market situation.

He was spot on about Amazfit. It was so bad that there are many times when I was huffing and puffing and HR would be 70ish. Moreover, little bit of vibrations and the readings go haywire. Keeps on saying ‘please wear your watch properly’

I was happy when I heard Amazfit can work with both IOS and android and youtubers were claiming it's great. But it is not even as close as a Samsung Watch. Too bad Samsung watch won't work with IOS anymore.

This calorie restriction "throughout your life" is very rarely achievable and only very few people can do it.
It is much easier than people think. You can eat your pizza and stay within the daily calorie limit. I eat all type of food I like. I ate Pav Bhaji yesterday. :D
People in India do religious fast every now and then. Just struggle a bit till you reach your desired weight, then eat what you want but within limit or take benefit of fasting.

If you eat fewer calories everyday, your body adjusts BMR level based on your intake. That way, someday your body adjusts and might need 1300 calories only but you eat consistently 1500 calories.
1300 calories is low in any case. You are right maintenance calories should be calculated from the target weight and not the initial weight. Use TDEE calculator for the same. https://tdeecalculator.net/
Agee with this. Also, better food > any supplements. I wish better food is easily available. I cannot buy many kgs of carrots, tomatoes and few vegetables in this current market situation.
With food, there are so many variables. For example It is very difficult to obtain adequate Vitamin D or B12 on a vegetarian/vegan diet. Therefore, it is necessary to supplement these nutrients, as there is no other way around it. Additionally, the nutritional levels in the same food can vary depending on the soil in which it is grown. Furthermore, some individuals may have difficulties digesting their food properly, and certain foods or vitamins can inhibit the absorption of other vitamins. This is where supplements come into play. For the past three years, I have been taking GSK's Becadexamin once a day without fail, and my annual health test results show that all my levels are close to perfect. Refer to your physician before taking any multivitamin, and try to match the estimated nutrition from your diet to the Recommended Dietary Intake (RDI) mentioned on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) factsheet.

Last edited:
It is much easier than people think. You can eat your pizza and stay within the daily calorie limit. I eat all type of food I like. I ate Pav Bhaji yesterday. :D
People in India do religious fast every now and then. Just struggle a bit till you reach your desired weight, then eat what you want but within limit or take benefit of fasting.
It's not easy when your family has foodies and non veg lovers :p

1300 calories is low in any case. You are right maintenance calories should be calculated from the target weight and not the initial weight. Use TDEE calculator for the same. https://tdeecalculator.net/

With food, there are so many variables. For example It is very difficult to obtain adequate Vitamin D or B12 on a vegetarian/vegan diet. Therefore, it is necessary to supplement these nutrients, as there is no other way around it. Additionally, the nutritional levels in the same food can vary depending on the soil in which it is grown. Furthermore, some individuals may have difficulties digesting their food properly, and certain foods or vitamins can inhibit the absorption of other vitamins. This is where supplements come into play. For the past three years, I have been taking GSK's Becadexamin once a day without fail, and my annual health test results show that all my levels are close to perfect. Refer to your physician before taking any multivitamin, and try to match the estimated nutrition from your diet to the Recommended Dietary Intake (RDI) mentioned on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) factsheet.
I am a vegetarian and I can relate. Even though there are other foods in veg which can provide such essential nutrients, the quantity-quality variables vary a lot.

GSK's Becadexamin
I will check this and see if it's better than what I usually take.

Maybe we should have a separate thread for weight loss/nutrition. Op could panic seeing how a discussion on smartwatch went to pav bhaji.

Without getting extreme details, I essentially lost 41 Kg (110 Kg to 69 Kg) since September '22 by doing the following:

1. Restricted alcohol to once every two months (teetotallers can skip this point)
  2. Restricted outside food to once every two weeks (like a cheat day)
  3. Half an hour of running or cycling every morning
  4. Portion control - eat what I wanted (home cooked) but in very limited portions
  5. Quit my stressful + toxic job, found something with a better work-life balance, and started getting better sleep

Hope this helps :)

Without getting extreme details, I essentially lost 41 Kg (110 Kg to 69 Kg) since September '22 by doing the following:

1. Restricted alcohol to once every two months (teetotallers can skip this point)
  4. Portion control - eat what I wanted (home cooked) but in very limited portions
  5. Quit my stressful + toxic job, found something with a better work-life balance, and started getting better sleep

And I do cycling for 70kms through Bangalore roads which are notorious for ups and downs. Started with 5kms, thanks to input from watch and stats in Strava that showed where I am losing energy due to excessive heart rate. Smart watch is amazing when you use it the way it is intended to. You guys be happy about 30 minute workouts while I target 100km+ rides. :D

PS: I did not have to quit my stressful job, actually they doubled my pay thanks to my efforts last year.

And I do cycling for 70kms through Bangalore roads which are notorious for ups and downs. Started with 5kms, thanks to input from watch and stats in Strava that showed where I am losing energy due to excessive heart rate. Smart watch is amazing when you use it the way it is intended to. You guys be happy about 30 minute workouts while I target 100km+ rides. :D

PS: I did not have to quit my stressful job, actually they doubled my pay thanks to my efforts last year.
70 - 100kms per day of cycling, wow that's fantastic. Definitely 1 hour+ of riding right?

thanks to input from watch and stats in Strava that showed where I am losing energy due to excessive heart rate.
I am guessing that's apple watch. How exactly do you understand this in watch stats?

That's cool.. Mine was slightly different though. Congrats again. Must have been quite surprising for your frnds and family.

70 - 100kms per day of cycling, wow that's fantastic. Definitely 1 hour+ of riding right?

I am guessing that's apple watch.

That's cool.. Mine was slightly different though. Congrats again. Must have been quite surprising for your frnds and family.
Not every day. I do home workouts (tone up) on weekdays and go for cycling on Saturday or Sunday. Pace is around 17kmph. My legs will be gone if I do that daily.

I initially was annoyed with the smartwatches and how much demand they generated. And pricing was bonkers too, and it's even worse now. But then I thought, meh, there will always be garbage in the world and there must be takers of them. So that those of us who care about automatics actually have a good supply of them. So you should advocate your intellectual friends relatives etc to go for 50k smartwatches instead. Mention the tremendous features of 'health benefits' they offer.

I initially was annoyed with the smartwatches and how much demand they generated. And pricing was bonkers too, and it's even worse now. But then I thought, meh, there will always be garbage in the world and there must be takers of them. So that those of us who care about automatics actually have a good supply of them. So you should advocate your intellectual friends relatives etc to go for 50k smartwatches instead. Mention the tremendous features of 'health benefits' they offer.
Yeah right. My grandpa says the same about smartphones.

Imagine a world where nobody bought smartwatches that are priced at Rs.50K+, companies would have understood customers aren't interested in paying high so we would have got them for a much lesser price.
As long as people buy them, the price keeps going higher and higher, bringing greater profits to companies and lesser value to customers.

I was so fat they deleted my Tinder profile :hungover:
I thought there was fat acceptance now... ok not in male gender I guess.
So you have created your Tinder profile again now? Don't tell me you lost weight for Tinder :p.

Atleast this proves, you need no smart watch for weight loss. But the metrics are always helpful. Let's see if Polar sells their chest straps in India.

I thought there was fat acceptance now... ok not in male gender I guess.
So you have created your Tinder profile again now? Don't tell me you lost weight for Tinder :p.

Atleast this proves, you need no smart watch for weight loss. But the metrics are always helpful. Let's see if Polar sells their chest straps in India.
Haha definitely not for males :p

I've been meaning to get an Apple Watch just for the extremely valuable heart-rate tracking. I've been an analog guy all my life (the big round dial, leather strap kind)

Imagine a world where nobody bought smartwatches that are priced at Rs.50K+, companies would have understood customers aren't interested in paying high so we would have got them for a much lesser price.
As long as people buy them, the price keeps going higher and higher, bringing greater profits to companies and lesser value to customers.
Apple never comes down when it comes to pricing. They would rather kill the product than reduce the price for masses.

You will be surprised if you see how costly Garmin watches are. They are losing sales yet the price stays premium because of the BoM, research and company costs.

There are cheap watches already, starting at 999/-.

PS: irony is that we are the same geeks who are ready to pay tens of thousands of rupees for h/w to play video games and get fat.

Back