Asus 4890 and Crossfire Performance Review

Introduction

asus4890volt1.jpg

With the recent announcement and price points of the new 5850 and 5870 series by ATI, I thought it made sense to re visit the current top of the line offering from ATI, the Radeon 4890. We will see some softening of the prices from here and these may become the best bang for the buck GPU's. We are also going to take a look at the crossfire performance and scaling on these cards.

The Radeon 4890 was announced earlier this year and came with a new core, the RV 790. As compared to the 4870's 750 Mhz core clock, the 4890 comes with a default cock of 850 on the core and 975 Mhz on the memory.

Let’s take a look at the specifications:

Asus Radeon 4890

Shader units: 800

ROPs: 16

GPU: RV790

Transistor count: 959M

Memory size: 1024 MB

Memory bus width: 256 bit

Core clock: 850 Mhz

Memory clock: 975 Mhz

[BREAK=Unboxing and the Card]

Unboxing and the Card

I would like to thank Asus for sending across these excellent review samples. So let’s start by taking a look at the box, both front and back.

p1000582i.jpg

The outside of the box holds a picture of a knight on a horse, and its a design that Asus seems to like. But the main feature to look out for on the box is the "Voltage Tweak" option, which we will cover in greater detail once testing starts.

outsideboxrear.jpg

Once we open the outer box, we are greeted by a single black box, with an Asus logo on it. This is a very nice touch by Asus and also helps keep the card safe during shipping. This box contains all the CD's, the accessories and the card.

insideboxi.jpg

The accessories list is pretty long and has all the bells and whistles that you could have asked for. The card is nicely packaged in styrofoam and covered in an antistatic cover.

Now on to the card.

The card is protected with thick blue plastic shrouds for the crossfire connectors, the PCIe slots and the various connectors at the rear of the card.

The card itself does not look very different from the regular 4890, and Asus have continued with the red PCB that ATI is well known for. The black Knight as usual makes an appearance on top of the cooler. Other than this single sticker, the rest of the GPU is as per the reference PCB.

frontpe.jpg

The rear of the card again has no surprises, with the normal layout.

rearq.jpg

These cards use the reference design and therefore the power is supplied by two 6 pin PCIe cables.

p1000576.jpg

Finally we take a look at the connectors available on this card.

portsc.jpg

[BREAK=Test setup and Overclocking]

Test Setup and Overclocking

The test setup this time around, ....actually like all my other reviews is as follows:

Processor: AMD 720BE unlocked to 4 cores @ 3.0 Ghz

Motherboard: MSI GD70 790FX

Ram: OCZ 1600 Mhz Platinum

PSU: OCZ Modxtreme 700W Modular

Let’s start with the over clocking potential on this card. The cards I received were used by a number of reviewers before me, so I am quite sure they are not specially binned. I started by using the ATI overdrive over clocking function and got it to around 925/1150 on the core and memory respectively. I then used the Asus Smart Doctor Utility to up the core voltages a bit to 1.325 and was able to do 960/1150. For some reason the utility would not let me go above 1.325, so I left it at that.

asussmartdoctor.jpg

Now that’s a lot of over clock for a GPU, with almost 13% on the core and close to 15.5% on the memory. Now imagine what two of these beasts can do for your gaming setup. With the core set at around 1.4, we can go to around 1000 MHz, but this was not to be. I am sure Asus has limited the range on the software, as the volterra chips used on these cards are capable of going up to the above mentioned 1.4-1.425.

[BREAK=3D Mark 06]

3d Mark 06

3dmark06image.jpg

We are going to look at a total of three tests for this review. I am not going to use any of the over clocked settings for the tests as that’s not justified for now.

The first out of these is the popular benchmarking software, 3D Mark 06.

So let’s start with 1280x1024, with no AA and no AF.

The 4890 scores a respectable 15,978, which I would venture to say is faster than a stock GTX 260 216, which scored around 800 points less on the same setup.

3dm06graphlow.jpg

3dm06tablelow.jpg

But my total attention was on getting the scores for the crossfire setup and that blew me away with a score of 19,656.

Let’s now take a look at the same test at 1920 x 1200, as this is the resolution these cards are meant to be used at.

3dm06graphhigh.jpg

3dm06tablehigh.jpg

Again the stock card comes back with a reasonable score of 13,139 and a crossfire score of 18,334. This in my reckoning would be faster than a 295GTX on a similar setup.

[BREAK=Crysis]

Crysis

crysissingleb.jpg

So let’s move on to everyone's favorite gaming benchmark and see how the cards perform.

Again we will start with 1280x1024, with 2xAA.

crysislowchart.jpg

crysislowtable.jpg

At a low resolution the game is barely playable on a 4850 with all settings on high. On the 4890 we are at almost 31 FPS on an average and that’s not bad, but still not playable. The 4890 crossfire though comes in at 51 fps, which is pretty much good enough, as far as I am concerned.

Lets now bump the settings to 1980x1200 with 4xAA, and all settings on high.

crysishighchart.jpg

crysishightable.jpg

Well what can I say; Crysis is unplayable with even two of these cards on crossfire. But what is important to note here is the jump in FPS from a single card to a dual card setup, which is close to a 77% jump, making it almost playable!! This is in comparison to a 64% jump in performance at 1280x1024. So clearly the trend is towards a higher bump in performance as the resolution moves up.

[BREAK=Call Of Duty 4]

Call of Duty 4

cod4pb.jpg

The last test that I looked at was Call of Duty 4. This benchmark should give us a more practical view on the kind of performance we can get out of these cards.

Let’s start with 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 8xAF.

cod4lowgraph.jpg

cod4lowchart.jpg

The 4890 on a single card setup is definitely playable at 123 FPS, but the performance of the 4890 crossfire is close to 70% better at 210 FPS.

Now let’s take the resolution up to 1980x1600 with all settings on high, with 4xAA and 16xAF.

cod4highgraph.jpg

cod4highchart.jpg

Here the 4890 crossfire puts in a worthy performance with a an FPS of 146, as compared to a single card FPS of 78.6, which is close to an 86% increase in performance.

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Conclusion

So, that ends our testing for today, and after all this I sit to wonder as to how reviewers do 10 different tests, with 4 different resolutions!!!

Coming back to the review, there are a couple of points that i would like to highlight as a conclusion:

1. I see no real reason to spend the extra money on higher versions of the 4890, as even the base version is capable of over clocking quite a bit, without any temperature issues. I would gladly pickup the base version from Asus and use Riva tuner to up the voltage if required.

2. Multiple GPU scalability has improved significantly over the last few sets of drivers. The percentage increases at higher resolutions are really very good and I hope to see more driver updates pushing performance in crossfire mode.

3. And finally, with the imminent release of the 58xx cards, the prices on the 4890 should be more affordable in the near future. I would not be surprised to see it at around or lower than the USD 170 mark pretty soon, but as you all know prices of GPU's in India rarely compare to their USD rates. When rates do come down, getting two of these in CF would be more than enough for all your gaming needs for quite a while.

I hope you enjoyed this review and thanks for reading.

Happy gaming.

i wonder who will care about 4890 or even CF when 5870 & 5850 is coming in a week :S

cpu bottleneck will be also there at 3ghz :p its like Q9450 etc stock .
anyway good review :)

Thanks guys. The main reason for me doing this review now as due to the impending price cuts and how these cards will be the new 4850's. As for the bottle necking, I really didnt see that, but I guess I could have missed it.

Amazing review :) Will add it to portal soon :)

Keep them comming :)

Ohh and why only 200mhz bump ? I think 3.5 should be doable with that unlocked X3 :|

Thanks DS. I had these cards for a while but as I was travelling was not able to do more. Trust me just this review all put together takes up around 6 to 7 hours plus. What with installing and uninstalling ati drivers, doing the tests and and moving around the hardware its quiet a job.

deleting. not interested to gv explanations to any1 again.

i may not be perfect. but i know what i should not do...

Great work bro.. You works are excellnt.. :hap2:

Thanks..Shripad....

hellboy, I deleted my previous post, but please check the pictures side by side and then pass comments. Its not fair to the reviewer at all. A lot of hard work goes into this man.

If you had spent two minutes to blow up both the images you would have noted the differences. Take the first box pic, or the rear box pic, or any pic for that matter.

mav2000 said:
Thanks..Shripad....

hellboy, I deleted my previous post, but please check the pictures side by side and then pass comments. Its not fair to the reviewer at all. A lot of hard work goes into this man.

If you had spent two minutes to blow up both the images you would have noted the differences. Take the first box pic, or the rear box pic, or any pic for that matter.

i understood bro. leave it.. have a nice week end.. and happy dasara..

I had one doubt. :)

Is it ok to call 2x 4890 in CF as 4890X2?

I feel it can be a bit misleading maybe.

Would be apt to label it '2x 4890' or '4890CF' instead. :)

Back