Asus AiMesh vs TPLink Deco M5

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I have 1x Asus AC68U (Main node) + 2x AC59U V2's in AI-Mesh.
I can't get my devices to roam seamlessly while using ethernet backhaul. (It was set up as wireless mesh, nodes were put into their place, then optimized, and then Wired backhaul was added - as suggested by a forum member). When using wireless, the devices connect to the nearest one more frequently, as I have noticed.
I just ordered the 3-piece Deco M5 set from Flipkart.
The house is 3BHK (1600 sq ft). Wireless devices include 6-7 mobile phones, 1 laptop, smart switches (around 10-12), 1x TV, 2x FireTV Sticks, 1x Airtel Xstream set top box.

If anyone has experience with both the AiMesh and the Deco setup, can you guys please give your reviews or comparisons?
It will be only used for Wireless. Wired devices not connect via ports on these.
ONU -> Router -> Gigabit Switch => These devices.

Hi i am using an Aimesh setup
Ac86u plus one 59uV2 as a node
Wired backhaul
Zero issues
(Using with all 2.4g radio turned off on primary and node tho, only 5g being used)
(New 59u bios has that option also now to turn off, didn't have earlier)

Is this not by design as nearest AP will have the strongest signal which will be preferred over others?
I have noticed that even though I move to another room with the other node next to me, the signal to the one in other room doesn't drop below as much to switch. I haven't tried switching off 2.4GHz though, will try that

I have noticed that even though I move to another room with the other node next to me, the signal to the one in other room doesn't drop below as much to switch. I haven't tried switching off 2.4GHz though, will try that
2.4GHz will always have much better range than 5GHz. Though, if signal drop is not much to switch then why do you even want to switch or you mean to say you want a bit dropped 2.4GHz signal to switch to 5GHz signal of nearest node.

Though, if signal drop is not much to switch then why do you even want to switch or you mean to say you want a bit dropped 2.4GHz signal to switch to 5GHz signal of nearest node.
When I reach home, the Syncthing starts to sync photos and videos to the home NAS.
It generally connects to the living room AP and when I go to the bedroom I see it still connected to living room AP, when there's an AP in the bedroom.
If I disconnect wifi and reconnect, I get around 60-70MB/s uploads because the AP is 4 feet from my desk. If it stays connected to the living room AP, I barely get 2-3MB/s.

Not an issue for youtube or other streaming. But 2 min uploads take an hour this way.

When I reach home, the Syncthing starts to sync photos and videos to the home NAS.
It generally connects to the living room AP and when I go to the bedroom I see it still connected to living room AP, when there's an AP in the bedroom.
If I disconnect wifi and reconnect, I get around 60-70MB/s uploads because the AP is 4 feet from my desk. If it stays connected to the living room AP, I barely get 2-3MB/s.

Not an issue for youtube or other streaming. But 2 min uploads take an hour this way.
If you want anything above 10-15MB/s then you need 5GHz so you must disable 2.4GHz as suggested by @BluDev above.

I switched off my 2.4 to avoid my stronger router pushing it's 2.4 signal to all corners of the house and preventing handover to closer routers
I think 5 GHz only with 2.4 turned off works well to get fast speeds all around and minimal overlap between router n nodes(i get my ISP speed everywhere now)

The Asus has been rock solid for now
Not tried TP setups
Plus i like all the granular controls Asus offers for free
(Specially family setting and controls and protection for kids)

I switched off my 2.4 to avoid my stronger router pushing it's 2.4 signal to all corners of the house and preventing handover to closer routers
I think 5 GHz only with 2.4 turned off works well to get fast speeds all around and minimal overlap between router n nodes(i get my ISP speed everywhere now)

Not tried TP setups
I keep 2.4GHz turned off on my Deco M4 Mesh for the same reason.

Might b off topic also beyond the scope of this place but i remade 3x linksys ac1900 routers into 3x RT-AC ac 68u
This was made by writing the cfe on the Linksys router
Now they serve as mesh router with the main router having Merlin and others in mesh in official ASUS router
All working perfectly with firmware and on latest
Also only on 5ghz with 50mbps speed
Ethernet backhaul is applied in the mesh routers
The 3x linksys were bough with the sole idea to convert
Paid 20$ each like for eBay USA
Remember linksys ac1900=RTAC 68u similar in hardware

Might b off topic also beyond the scope of this place but i remade 3x linksys ac1900 routers into 3x RT-AC ac 68u
This was made by writing the cfe on the Linksys router
Now they serve as mesh router with the main router having Merlin and others in mesh in official ASUS router
All working perfectly with firmware and on latest
Also only on 5ghz with 50mbps speed
Ethernet backhaul is applied in the mesh routers
The 3x linksys were bough with the sole idea to convert
Paid 20$ each like for eBay USA
Remember linksys ac1900=RTAC 68u similar in hardware
How is your roaming performance in your setup? Have you turned off 2.4GHz?

Last edited:
I have 3 M9s and 2 M5s scattered around a 2800sqft duplex and my wireless devices do switchover to the nearest router automatically and its pretty much seamless most of the time.
I have observed that sometimes my phone or my Apple TV connects to a farther router but its rare and toggling the wifi on the client always does the trick. But again, its very rare and almost not noticeable by most folks at home.
I have kept both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands enabled as some of my smart devices can connect to 2.4Ghz only.
I have not used the AIMesh so cant comment on its performance.

Not tried TP setups

TP link also provides family settings and kid protection as far as I can see but have never used them

true, but over all features and control with AI Protiection Pro on the asus tilt the balance for me
Play around on the 68U log in page and experiment with the features (also asus merlin support is rock solid with even more features for the Asus routers)

Back