CPU/Mobo Asus Mobo RMA Woes: Advice needed Edit: SOLVED

Orija

Adept
Seems I now have an RMA horror story of my own for posterity. The genesis lies a month back when a massive voltage fluctuation turned my PSU into a prodigal paperweight. On booting up my pc, for the first time in a week, I found that the internet and a usb port weren't working. I handed over the mobo (ASUS P8Z77 -M PRO), to some ramshackle repair shop in Chandigarh, listed as a Service Center on the Asus site on the 18th of October. The guy there told me that the mobo would be sent to Delhi for repair, and that I would get it back in 7 to 10 days. They didn't give me any contact number for the place in Delhi saying that they weren't allowed to.

For two weeks the guys at the shop, Kudos Info Services, kept telling me that it hadn't arrived yet, whenever I inquired. On the 1st of November they finally acknowledged that it was perhaps-maybe-probably taking a bit too long and promised to ask about it from the guys in Delhi. Yesterday, the 5th of November, they told me that the experts, in a loose meaning of the word, have deigned my mobo impossible to repair and are instead offering recompense in the form of a check. Today, after a night's sleep, they admitted that they should have asked how much I would be paid: Rs 8876. This for a motherboard bought an year ago (with a warranty of three years), that currently costs 13000 bucks and which I bough for around 11k. I told them to engage in coitus with the women in their family. I wish.

Actually, I asked them to just get my mobo sent back to me, they told me they'd try and request a replacement instead. When I called in the evening I was informed that they had shot off an email to the big dude in Delhi. They refuse to provide any contact details for the place in Delhi, which makes me suspect that Asus RMA is handled by R&AW.

What should be my course of action now: Should I just try to get my board back, or should try and get them to raise the amount that they'll refund me? I'm somewhat skeptical about asking for a replacement because it may take a couple of months if their current performance is any indication.

Warranty/RMA/recompense covers a *defective* motherboard. Which part of "massive voltage fluctuation turned PSU into paperweight which subsequently fried motherboard" sounds like a defect?

Which PSU BTW?

spitonmeandslapmetwice I forgot to mention that there was actually nothing wrong with the mobo or the PSU. It's just a part of the comedy of errors that's been going with me for the past few months. There's a long story to follow so I think it was better to post the aforementioned: that the mobo was actually working fine.

My computer used to crash on heavy load viz. games like Crysis, Witcher et al. After some intense troubleshooting that left me moaning and breathless; I found out that the PSU, a Corsair TX650M, was the culprit. I handed it over to the service enter and started using my Corsair 450VX instead. I shouldn't have, of course, not with a GPU like the 7950. Anyway, voltage fluctuation happens, PSU started throwing fits when I try playing games. A more than momentary lapse in judgment made me forget that the GPU needs a min. of 500W. I take the PSU to the service center where after testing it is found that the PSU is alright. They decide to RMA it anyway for shits and giggles, and have the 450 replaced by another TX650M. I bring it home, boot and find that though stuff isn't crashing anymore, the internet isn't working. In another moment of idiocy, I infer that the Lan-card is shot, and take my mobo to the service center. Turns out it was a faulty adapter of the modem that was causing problems.

Contact ASUS. Speak to them. Give them the RMA number/ticket details if asked. That way, you can be assured whether these guys are telling the truth.[DOUBLEPOST=1383746595][/DOUBLEPOST]:facepalm: I think you drink too much!

Seems I now have an RMA horror story of my own for posterity. The genesis lies a month back when a massive voltage fluctuation turned my PSU into a prodigal paperweight. On booting up my pc, for the first time in a week, I found that the internet and a usb port weren't working. I handed over the mobo (ASUS P8Z77 -M PRO), to some ramshackle repair shop in Chandigarh, listed as a Service Center on the Asus site on the 18th of October. The guy there told me that the mobo would be sent to Delhi for repair, and that I would get it back in 7 to 10 days. They didn't give me any contact number for the place in Delhi saying that they weren't allowed to.

For two weeks the guys at the shop, Kudos Info Services, kept telling me that it hadn't arrived yet, whenever I inquired. On the 1st of November they finally acknowledged that it was perhaps-maybe-probably taking a bit too long and promised to ask about it from the guys in Delhi. Yesterday, the 5th of November, they told me that the experts, in a loose meaning of the word, have deigned my mobo impossible to repair and are instead offering recompense in the form of a check. Today, after a night's sleep, they admitted that they should have asked how much I would be paid: Rs 8876. This for a motherboard bought an year ago (with a warranty of three years), that currently costs 13000 bucks and which I bough for around 11k. I told them to engage in coitus with the women in their family. I wish.

Actually, I asked them to just get my mobo sent back to me, they told me they'd try and request a replacement instead. When I called in the evening I was informed that they had shot off an email to the big dude in Delhi. They refuse to provide any contact details for the place in Delhi, which makes me suspect that Asus RMA is handled by R&AW.

What should be my course of action now: Should I just try to get my board back, or should try and get them to raise the amount that they'll refund me? I'm somewhat skeptical about asking for a replacement because it may take a couple of months if their current performance is any indication.
spitonmeandslapmetwice I forgot to mention that there was actually nothing wrong with the mobo or the PSU. It's just a part of the comedy of errors that's been going with me for the past few months. There's a long story to follow so I think it was better to post the aforementioned: that the mobo was actually working fine.

My computer used to crash on heavy load viz. games like Crysis, Witcher et al. After some intense troubleshooting that left me moaning and breathless; I found out that the PSU, a Corsair TX650M, was the culprit. I handed it over to the service enter and started using my Corsair 450VX instead. I shouldn't have, of course, not with a GPU like the 7950. Anyway, voltage fluctuation happens, PSU started throwing fits when I try playing games. A more than momentary lapse in judgment made me forget that the GPU needs a min. of 500W. I take the PSU to the service center where after testing it is found that the PSU is alright. They decide to RMA it anyway for shits and giggles, and have the 450 replaced by another TX650M. I bring it home, boot and find that though stuff isn't crashing anymore, the internet isn't working. In another moment of idiocy, I infer that the Lan-card is shot, and take my mobo to the service center. Turns out it was a faulty adapter of the modem that was causing problems.
Post the following details here.

• Submitted on:
  • Submitted to: Digicomp/Digicare
  • Motherboard:
  • RMA no/Job No/Call ID:

Problems mentioned: USB and Lan ports not working. (Like I said, the Lan port is working fine. And, while the USB port has been defective since the day I bought the mobo, I don't care whether it gets repaired or not after waiting for three weeks.)

Submitted on: 18 November 2013
Submitted to: Kudos Info Services, Sector 22, Chandigarh
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 -M PRO
GIN No. 283

Last edited:
Problems mentioned: USB and Lan ports not working. (Like I said, the Lan port is working fine. And, while the USB port has been defective since the day I bought the mobo, I don't care whether it gets repaired or not after waiting for three weeks.)

Submitted on: 18 November 2013
Submitted to: Kudos Info Services, Sector 22, Chandigarh
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 -M PRO
GIN No. 283
Submitted by: Shiv
Submitted on: 18 November 2013 ?
Please get the Job No. or Call ID from the place you submitted your motherboard to and post here too.
Depending on whether it's been submitted to Digicomp or Digicare, you should be able to get one of those 2.

Last edited:
18th October. Alright, I will post after calling them up tomorrow. I'm guessing you're working with Asus, right? I mean, should I shoot an email at the the Rashi Peripheral guys or whether you would be able to inquire on my behalf?

I contacted them right now, and they told they haven't got a response from Delhi yet as they're busy asking their higher ups for directions.

I was given a DS Number though, D27009103.

Hey, thanks for the assistance. Should I be expecting an email from the guys handling RMA services for Asus?[DOUBLEPOST=1383916641][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: Got a call from Bangalore, I was told that I will be getting a new mobo from Digicare/comp's buffer stock by Monday. Thanks, BIKeINSTEIN, for your help.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the assistance. Should I be expecting an email from the guys handling RMA services for Asus?[DOUBLEPOST=1383916641][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: Got a call from Bangalore, I was told that I will be getting a new mobo from Digicare/comp's buffer stock by Monday.
No thanks please.
Please update here once received and also when checked.

Got a replacement from the service center guys in Chandigarh today. I had received a call from Bangalore informing me that I'd be getting a new board by Monday. They called again, today, to confirm that I had received it. It looks like a new board but it came in a white cardboard box with just a backplate for the ports (I was told that I'd be getting a new mobo from the buffer stock not a retail one, fine by me). It's working well enough. So, yea, it's pretty much mission accomplished.

Now, I'd like to have a jamboree and dance to Bollywood songs as much as my next countryman, but... it's my CPU, a 2500k, that had decided to overheat after re-installation, for no discernible reason. The temps reach 80C from idle temps of 40C if run a benchtest or a video game. Oh, well, I would have been astounded if things had actually gone my way for once.

Got a replacement from the service center guys in Chandigarh today. I had received a call from Bangalore informing me that I'd be getting a new board by Monday. They called again, today, to confirm that I had received it. It looks like a new board but it came in a white cardboard box with just a backplate for the ports (I was told that I'd be getting a new mobo from the buffer stock not a retail one, fine by me). It's working well enough. So, yea, it's pretty much mission accomplished.

Now, I'd like to have a jamboree and dance to Bollywood songs as much as my next countryman, but... it's my CPU, a 2500k, that had decided to overheat after re-installation, for no discernible reason. The temps reach 80C from idle temps of 40C if run a benchtest or a video game. Oh, well, I would have been astounded if things had actually gone my way for once.
Hope cooler has been fitted properly after reapplying fresh thermal paste of decent quality on the processor.

Dear mods: Please close this thread or edit title with [Solved]

Back