Asus rt-n13u

satyanjoy

Skilled
I am getting BSNL bb connection with a type-I wired modem , I need a wireless router to act as a 24/7 torrent downloader which can download as per the scheduled time when my pc is switched off. I am very new to this type of things.I have done some googleing and found that ASUS RT-N13U has these features,can act as a torrent downloader without any firmware flash. What do you says guys?

if you want better control of torrents, like queuing, partial dling, private tracker access, speed mgmt, scheduling etc, then i think u might just have to flash the router to third part open source f/w. it has been done here before and there is a 100% success rate !

also whats the kinda money u spending... give n16u a consider too... it has a powerful cpu and better ram. also the usb on board are 2.0

dheerajjotwani said:
if you want better control of torrents, like queuing, partial dling, private tracker access, speed mgmt, scheduling etc, then i think u might just have to flash the router to third part open source f/w. it has been done here before and there is a 100% success rate !

also whats the kinda money u spending... give n16u a consider too... it has a powerful cpu and better ram. also the usb on board are 2.0

I am not that much of a advance BT user;all the things that you mentioned - I have no clue - only the scheduling is a known word for me. May be I will need to do more R&D on this subject. My Budget will be 4k max. Does flashing firmaware & using custom firmware(oleg) voids warranty ? My current primary goes is downloading 24/7 without switching on pc to save electricity bill and reduce the heat. What is the cheapest wi-fi router is here to achieve that?

n13u has no custom firmware yet.

The torrent client does not work properly. Hasn't managed to complete even one download in the four months I've had the router.

Good Luck.

^^^ satyanjoy,

there you go, youre saved then... in 4k, its best if u can put ur hands on a asus 500wl but lets say you are not too pushy with torrents and can manage with 1 at best two simultaneous downloads, then you can even get the asus w520gu. best part its for around 2k

yeah a little ground work may be essential... i am a noob too, but got it to work ! wiki and forums have all the guidance that you may want for this.

cranky said:
n13u has no custom firmware yet.

The torrent client does not work properly. Hasn't managed to complete even one download in the four months I've had the router.

Good Luck.

OMG ,thats horrible,, I have not bought it yet,thanks for the heads up.

dheerajjotwani said:
^^^ satyanjoy,

there you go, youre saved then... in 4k, its best if u can put ur hands on a asus 500wl but lets say you are not too pushy with torrents and can manage with 1 at best two simultaneous downloads, then you can even get the asus w520gu. best part its for around 2k

yeah a little ground work may be essential... i am a noob too, but got it to work ! wiki and forums have all the guidance that you may want for this.

I will mostly download less number of torrents with large contents but it should able to handle at least 5-6 torrents simultaneously.I will prefer to invest onetime in one good product which will give me peaceful download with less trouble for a long time. asus w520gu with 2k price tag looks really attractive.

its WL520gu or w520gu ?

dheerajjotwani said:
its wl520gu... my bad !

in that case you're better off considering a n16u for 8k or go for guruplug - $100 plus shipping

wow -- 8k will too costly at point of time. I found this guide to install tomato in wl520gu. Now is tomato is best custom firmware for torrenting is there is some other better options ?

520gu has a low power proc... if u go ahead with a single torrent active at any time and stick to it religiously, all should work well. else be prepared for frequent hanging and data corruption.

tomato and ddwrt can get the job done well enough... no issues which ever u may chose. but just ensure u move onto ext3 FS for your external HDD. NTFS seems to be supported at first but ends up in disaster and lockups a plenty.

few links of interest
How to - Format and Partition External Storage Device - DD-WRT Wiki
Optware, the Right Way - DD-WRT Wiki
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Optware, the right way
How to Install-Setup Transmission on ASUS RT-N16 - LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices

dheerajjotwani said:
520gu has a low power proc... if u go ahead with a single torrent active at any time and stick to it religiously, all should work well. else be prepared for frequent hanging and data corruption.
does it means if i stick with one torrent then it will work well (no frequent hanging & data corruption)??

tomato and ddwrt can get the job done well enough... no issues which ever u may chose. but just ensure u move onto ext3 FS for your external HDD. NTFS seems to be supported at first but ends up in disaster and lockups a plenty.
so I can only transfer file from connected hdd to my pc via network only ? no plugin play - as I am in windows only

few links of interest

thanks for the links.

I m using RT-N13U , and found no issues with torrent downloading.

But this will b great after DD-WRT finishes off the firmware for this router.

The best firmware to use with Asus WL520GU can be downloaded from here . Install optware packages following this

The are 2 problems with WL520GU

1) The USB-EHCI is not fully implemented and is highly problematic with usb storage

2) The router processor is a weak one (only 200 Mhz MIPS)

Here are the workarounds for the above problems

The USB 2.0 EHCI can be turned off from the web interface. Keep this turned off when downloading torrents. One issue here is the "verify of local data" by transmission will be dead slow. The "verify of local data" happens when a torrent running in transmission is stopped abruptly. This is a big problem when you have torrents of large size.

Limit the number of peers to around 30 per torrent and limit your upload speeds to about 60 KB/sec. This will keep the load at reasonable levels

Bobby

Don't bother. It's equally bad - I wasted my money and am waiting for a good alternative myself. DD-WRT didn't have a donated device and so the development had stopped - this was two months ago, dunno about now.

it the 13 is that bad ppl would have donated a near lemon in hopes of better firmware and non lemon working router after a few months....

:)

You do know that the DD-WRT team does not return routers, don't you?

As it is the router is functional in all basic tasks. It is the extended features which do not work, specifically the built-in torrent downloader, which is a big reason people spring for this router. And it does not work (along with inability to retrieve IP over PPOE - so it's incompatible with a vast number of ISPs that assign IP dynamically using a modem). There are numerous other issues such as low signal range and periodical dropping of connections.

It *is* that bad. Look at the Asus support forums for the router and you'll see what we're on about. Actually, look at the Asus support forums period. You'll see where the problem is.

Back