ASUS RT-N16 with UMG 1831 using MTNL Prepaid 3G

Just got myself a ASUS RT-N16 trying to use it with UMG 1831 on MTNL Prepaid 3G, unfortunately the router does get connected to the Internet and gets a IP also but unable to browse any site, wireless or wired, the router is running almost the current firmware, tried resetting the router to default also did not help, any inputs?

^better install tomato-shibby's build or oleg's firmware... its best as of now and i'm using oleg now..its best and it has support for USSD code too
<

Any links, liked the default firmware, primary use is to provide Internet and download torrents, also don't have a wired connection so 3G is the only option

Thank you all for your inputs, I took out the UMG1831 from the router and attached it to my Laptop, was able to download the latest firmware, installed it, still it was not working, performed a factory reset from the GUI, tried one more time and the Router was working flawlessly, able to browse the net/download

Thanks to all, later on might try to check out the third party firmwares(did not find a good oleg installation guide) as currently the router is using Transmission and is much better than the previous versions which serves my purpose

Nowadays there are lot of dummy connection.. meaning.. it will get connected but no internet.. Ppl have success only after some attempts..

That may be the cause as well.. Try to disconnect and reconnect 4 to 5 times and hope you will get connected to internet at any of these attempt..

Or may be try umg1831 with some other 3g/2g sim and try the internet connection..

#sbhas2k, it is working properly, yes MTNL connection is pretty flaky, sometimes it does not connect at all, mostly in the afternoons, as a workaround I put the SIM in a spare phone and then try to check, if that works then I'm able to connect, also it seems if I do a recharge for the talktime the problem gets sorted, I'm was thinking of porting my Vodafone connection to MTNL even for my cell, but now have double thoughts about it, any #Mumbai User can shed some light on MTNL signal and coverage

MTNL has the best 3G coverage AFAIK.. If you can live with a few dummy connection then it is the way to go..

I have used in roaming at Chennai as well.. No problem as such.. Go ahead and port back to MTNL if you want an unlimited 3G connection.. VFM in my opinion.

Try using 3.0.0.3.108, none of them worked for me, I had to use 3.0.0.3.94, if it works with 3.0.0.3.108, then great as there are many imporvements in it as per the changelog. Do let me know, I'm using UMG1831, if it works with E173 on 3.0.0.3.108, I might think on switching to it

#[member='amc'], any updates, I tried with 3.0.0.3.108/3.0.0.3.102/3.0.0.3.96 yesterday and none of them worked, only 3.0.0.3.94, do share your expierences

#[member='dheerajjotwani'], I like the default firmware, kind of does all I need, ddns is broken in DD-WRT as per lot of ppl, I need the VPN server, USB functionality, 3G functionality as the Interent connection is through 3g modem, if I use DD-WRT I have plenty options but I need to do them myself, like to download torrents and stuff, install optware on the disk and like, definitely more control, but the default firmware does that effortlessly

My UMG1831 does not work on 3.0.0.3.108, but I tried to check with Tata Photon+ modem and that worked without any problem so I'm trying to check if it's the UMG1831 which is a problem. Thanks for the input though

Hi sorry for not replying earlier as I was travelling. I tried the .102 and .108 and could not get it to work. I will try again with the.94 today and report back.

Back