OC & Modding ASUS Starice CPU cooler, have a look at this monster.

Aces170 said:
I have a uber crap VIP case, and I dont wanna change that atleast now, dont have the time to re-assemble the system if the Starice is for 2.1k will buy that. I dont mind the noise as I use headfones while gaming...

Also the temps in Mumbai is really high especially in the afternoon, where the ambient temps maybe as high as 35-36 "c
Hmm........Saw one @ casette world and prime yesterday i think..............Though not sure about cassette world.

Prime has it. I am 100% sure bcoz when i called to inquire if XP-120 is available the guy kept saying about this cooler ;)
And no it comes with its own fan. No need to add any other fan and you can only attach 1 more on the other side of turbine if you want to.

Didnt someone ask about this cooler here? From delhi? and wasnt he getting it for 1.5k? So, by ur results, it shud be a gr8 piece to have at 1.5k :D

Yup, I beleive that ASUS is now bundeling this cooler free with A8N SLI... And dealers are selling it seperately at rock bottom prices...

Its odd. Even in US its priced at $49 :p
and 1.5K? Are you sure bcoz even prime was selling it for 2.5K last week
And you know this same cooler was priced above Rs.5K 3 months ago :p

By the way it also comes with 2 years ASUS warranty, a thermal probe for thermally controlling the fan and 2 fan speed controllers. 1 is 3.5" front pannel and one is back plate.

funkymonkey said:
Its odd. Even in US its priced at $49 :p
and 1.5K? Are you sure bcoz even prime was selling it for 2.5K last week
And you know this same cooler was priced above Rs.5K 3 months ago :p

By the way it also comes with 2 years ASUS warranty, a thermal probe for thermally controlling the fan and 2 fan speed controllers. 1 is 3.5" front pannel and one is back plate.

some sed it was sold for 1.5k if you got an a8n sli deluxe... bundle deal i think..

hey chaos I have tried XP90 with tornado. I posted temps a while back if i remember correctly. But i guarantee you this one is much lower noise than Tornado. Tornado is absolutely whinning jet noise. I have 6 tornado fans laying here which i bought from coolpc about 8 months ago. ANd with tornado XP-90 gave 39C full load but that day i had my AC on when experimenting.

i only use couple at a time when i am doing some overclocking experiments

let me know if u want to sell any of the tornado fans funky. & how much shipping did u pay on coolpc & did u have any probs with customs.
i want some 80mm fans & round ide cable

I got the Starice along with the A8N SLI Deluxe in a bundle deal and I'd have to say I was a tentative in taking it because of the aforementioned noise and weight factor of Starice.
But I'm pleased with its performance, at full load it gets to about 45 degrees that too in a poorly ventilated el cheapo cabinet.

One question though funky, did you use the default thermal paste that came with it or some AS5 or suchlike?
Also for the life of me I can't get the fan to go over 3100 RPM, although its cool and quiet enough for me I'm just bugged coz on my friends machine it goes upto a very noisy 4600 RPM.

I have used AS5.Bought good 12gm tube last year :p
Well i dont know whats wrong with your Fan but mine goes upto 4800RPM. But i have adjusted to it nice 3500RPM. At this speed its not noisy and does very good job.
Are you using the fan controller? if yes then it might have some problem. Try shorting the jumper so it runs at full speed.

462Dont think so.. AFAIK it works on socket - 478/754/939/775 only..

n TH.. check PM :)

EDIT:

i jumped the gun i guess.. :D

4-in-1 Solution for Socket T, Socket 478, K7, K8

The Star Ice cooler provides 4-in-1 solutions, which is to support high-performance gaming systems based on LGA775, Socket 478, K8 and K7 platforms. The flexibility allows you to change your CPU without to buy another cooler.

http://usa.asus.com/products/pccomponents/cooler/gaming/starice/overview.htm

Specs:

CPU support : Socket T, Socket 478, K7, K8

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Star Ice&langs=09

wOOT!Thanks Masky, got it.. looks like I'm getting a new cooler too. Planning on upgrading to S939 + PCI-E as well as getting a new Benq 1640. Let's see how that pans out!

Back