Asus Zen series Launched. (Zen 5 to compete with Moto G)

Asus has launched three new smartphones in India, the Asus ZenFone 4, ZenFone 5, and ZenFone 6.
The company also announced the refreshed version of its voice-calling tablet, the Fonepad 7 (FE170CG).

Asus ZenFone 4

2s1r8mb.jpg

The ZenFone 4 comes in two variants, with the 4-inch (A400CG) model priced at Rs. 5,999, and the 4.5-inch (A450CG) model announced without a price.

The dual-SIM (Micro-SIM card) Asus ZenFone 4 sports a 4-inch WVGA (480x800 pixel) resolution display (translating to a 233ppi pixel density) supported by a 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2520 processor with Hyper-Threading Technology (implying 4 threads) and 1GB of RAM. The smartphone also features a 5-megapixel rear and 0.3-megapixel front-facing camera optics. The phone features 8GB of built-in storage that can be expanded via microSD card (up to 64GB).

Other specifications of the Asus ZenFone 4 include 3G, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, and Micro-USB connectivity options, as well as 1600mAh battery.

Asus ZenFone 5

1tv6lc.jpg

The Taiwanese company has announced that the 8GB and 16GB variants of ZenFone 5 will be available for Rs 12,999* and Rs 13,999,* respectively. (See footnote)

The Asus ZenFone 5 features a 5-inch 720x1280 pixel IPS display, and is powered by a 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Atom Z2560 processor with Hyper-Threading technology (implying 4 threads), coupled with 1GB of RAM. ZenFone 5 sports an 8-megapixel rear camera and a 2-megapixel front facing camera for video chatting. The handset's storage memory is also expandable to 64GB via microSD card.
Battery capacity on the ZenFone 5 is 2110mAh along with increased dimensions - 148.2 x 72.8 x 10.3-5.5mm - and a weight of 145 grams. The ZenFone 5 is available in Charcoal Black, Pearl White, Cherry Red, and Champagne Gold.

Asus ZenFone 6

33elr21.jpg

The Asus ZenFone 6 sports a similar IPS display of 720x1280 pixel resolution but on a 6-inch screen. While the processor and RAM are the same as that of the ZenFone 5, the camera sensor size has been revamped to 13-megapixel (rear) and 2-megapixel (front). With similar expandable storage features as ZenFone 5, Asus ZenFone 6 includes a 3230mAh battery capacity and measures 166.9 x 84.3 x 9.9-5.5mm, while weighing 196 grams. ZenFone 6 is available in Charcoal Black, Pearl White, Cherry Red, and Champagne Gold.

The 16GB model costs Rs 17,999,

Source

*There seems to be some anomaly vis a vis the pricing for the Zenfone 5. Some sites also reporting pricing to be 9,999 and 12,999 for the 8GB and 16GB models respectively.

Last edited:
Zenfone's Atom processors seem to have bad reviews - problems Atom seems to have are with lag and abysmal battery life.

there does seem to be confusion over the specs:
It does eem there are two versions of Zenfone 4 and two versions of zenfone 5.

Zenfone 4 will be a flipkart exclusive. Zenfone 5 and 6 will be available in retail stores from next week

there does seem to be confusion over the specs:
It does eem there are two versions of Zenfone 4 and two versions of zenfone 5.

Zenfone 4 will be a flipkart exclusive. Zenfone 5 and 6 will be available in retail stores from next week

The LTE version with SD 400 was not launched in India. ASUS launched the older Atom Z2580 processor based models that reportedly has some app compatibility and battery problems.
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_s_and_zenfone_5_lte_now_on_sale-news-8989.php
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...enfone-5-lte-launched-pricing-revealed-556473

The LTE version with SD 400 was not launched in India. ASUS launched the older Atom Z2580 processor based models that reportedly has some app compatibility and battery problems.
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_padfone_s_and_zenfone_5_lte_now_on_sale-news-8989.php
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...enfone-5-lte-launched-pricing-revealed-556473

No I eamn there are two models of Zenfone 4 it seems

A400 CG: 5999/-
A450 CG: 6999/-

As the name implies, it is a difference in the screen size while the resolution remain same.
More importantly the A450CG features an 8 MP camera and already runs on Android 4.4 (Source: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-zenfon...fone&ref=f6cde7f1-a189-4139-8b32-edf49a5b1b8e)
The battery capacity is also slightly upgraded to meeth the higher display requirement.

It is still unknown whether the A450CG comes with a LED flash or not?

As for the Zenfone 5, there is still confusion over the amount of RAM in the 8GB model. FK states 2 GB , but it should better be confirmed by some user

I dont understand why Asus, who enjoys a good reputation in India went a ahead with Intel procs in the Zen Fone 5, while the world gets to enjoy a Qualcomm Chip with LTE support, this was way over due and it would have the made the mark of 10k-13k even more sweeter! It looks like we are more becoming a receiving end entity with all bad products!!

I dont understand why Asus, who enjoys a good reputation in India went a ahead with Intel procs in the Zen Fone 5, while the world gets to enjoy a Qualcomm Chip with LTE support, this was way over due and it would have the made the mark of 10k-13k even more sweeter! It looks like we are more becoming a receiving end entity with all bad products!!

Stock clearance

How bad are these atom processors actually? Worst than Mediatek counterparts, was thinking they would be good enough to rival SD 400 at least, need more info regarding this coz my bro is looking for a phone under 10k, was thinking the 4.5 version of ZF 4 would be good. Plz help guys?[DOUBLEPOST=1405080422][/DOUBLEPOST]the Zenfone 5 does not look so shabby at all based on digit.in review

Like I said in another post , Zenfone 5 is a very good choice for someone who is not into modding scene. Even The asustek skin looks light and consistent

How bad are these atom processors actually? Worst than Mediatek counterparts, was thinking they would be good enough to rival SD 400 at least, need more info regarding this coz my bro is looking for a phone under 10k, was thinking the 4.5 version of ZF 4 would be good. Plz help guys?[DOUBLEPOST=1405080422][/DOUBLEPOST]the Zenfone 5 does not look so shabby at all based on digit.in review

Some reviews here:
http://blog.gsmarena.com/asus-zenfone-5/
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-4-hands-on_id51047
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-5-hands-on_id51042
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-6-hands-on_id51046

Last edited:
I ordered the phone (zenfone 5 , 8GB , 2GB RAM) via flipkart and got it yesterday itself.
So far the phone is smooth and the display is pretty good.
sound quality is good, build feels premium (considering the 10K price)
need to see how it holds up to regular heavy usage.

How different is the Zenfone 6 to the 5 in terms of performance/soc stability etc. The mobilegeeks review on YT seems to suggest that it's a decent phone for the price & that there don't seem to be any major s/w issues. So could that by extension be applied to the ZF 5?

Also, based on this & this, mid-range gaming doesn't seem to be an issue. (the latter is of course the ZF 6). But on the Android Authority review, he says that apps have issues & gaming is a no-no (about 3.30mins in). So what's the verdict?

I think the 5 and 6 exactly the same, except for the screen size and camera (13MP in the 6" vs 8MP in the 5")
Camera seemed pretty decent.. on the 5" phone I got ,
videos and movies are smooth.
call quality is up to the mark.
Asus keyboard is decent.. i think i prefer it to the google, screen too large to swipe (personal opinion).
Notification pull down is a bit annoying, 2 similar gestures to either pull down the notification bar \ the asus quick settings pull down menu.

Coming from a windows phone (lumia 710) android still lags (occasionally) , even with 2GB RAM!
keyboard needs some adjusting to..

haven't really explored high end gaming on this..

I can comment on the battery life and overall usability only after a boring day at office.. probably will update some impressions monday evening..

The performance (atleast with WVGA resolution) seems great as suggested in the following video. I am considering to buy one very soon (the 4.5" version). :)

Summary : Handles Asphalt 8 (at high) and modern combat 4 and dead trigger 2 without any issues!! But subway surfers isnt smooth! (Compatibility issues is my guess)

Last edited:
I ordered the phone (zenfone 5 , 8GB , 2GB RAM) via flipkart and got it yesterday itself.
So far the phone is smooth and the display is pretty good.
sound quality is good, build feels premium (considering the 10K price)
need to see how it holds up to regular heavy usage.
Can you test the video shooting some action shot like basketball, jumping, skipping, tennis, boxing etc.
with 720p @60FPS setting does it give you slow motion effect with smooth play or does it jerk? If possible post a video on youtube & link here.

I think the 5 and 6 exactly the same, except for the screen size and camera (13MP in the 6" vs 8MP in the 5")
I think certain features are similar & other certain features are not available on 6" 720p @60fps video shooting seems to be available only on 5"
I think

battery is barely enough to get through a day of moderate - high usage,
safer to invest in a power bank if you are always on the go.
I am sure it can give you better backup if you install battery doctor app from play store, I think asus built in app also has power saving mode too have you set that?

Back