Graphic Cards ati 4850 a worthy upgrade?

thmh201

Disciple
firstly i would like to thank techenclave to accept my membership request....:)...

I am planning to buy ATI 4850

i have amd 5200+ 2.7gz

3gb ram

17" crt monitor

corsair 400w

my budget for Gcard is 6k and i have ati 4850 in my mind.

firstly i wan to know about the actual performance of this card by people who actually used it..

is it too hot to handle!

i dont have any cooling items in my cabinet except for the useless 50 bucks xtra fan which i put.

i love playing FPS like low graphics hitman series, igi , serious sam, max payne, CS,....i want to play crysis, fallout, cod series, battlefield series...so can i play all these with max settings with 4850?

17" CRT would mean 1280 x 1024 resolution. The HD4850 should be able to handle most of the games at highest settings without AA or AF. Some of the games you mentioned, it could easily handle even with 8x AA and AF

^^ i think he has mentioned he has corsair 400w .. i suppose thats cx400

at that resolution 4850 will be more than enough.

the performance is good.

although getting a new HD4850 is nearly impossible..stocks are not available anywhere.. you may want to buy a used one in TE market.

madnav said:
you may want to buy a used one in TE market.
If you consider this, you are better off with a HD5770 at that budget. While you wont see a lot of difference at that resolution between this and the HD4850, it'll still consume less power and run cooler.

damn said:
If you consider this, you are better off with a HD5770 at that budget. While you wont see a lot of difference at that resolution between this and the HD4850, it'll still consume less power and run cooler.
he would end up spending almost 3k more if he opts for 5770 (both used or both new)

both the cards will be bottlenecked at that resolution due to the cpu.

will difference in power consumption justify 3k extra for nearly no performance gain ?

infact the best option would have been HD4770

but did not consider it as that has not been available anywhere in enough quantity ever..

madnav said:
^^ i think he has mentioned he has corsair 400w .. i suppose thats cx400

at that resolution 4850 will be more than enough.

the performance is good.

although getting a new HD4850 is nearly impossible..stocks are not available anywhere.. you may want to buy a used one in TE market.
Dont know how i missed that :ashamed: Feeling too sleepy after watching yesterday's FIFA finals i guess.

@OP->

Rahul had listed a HD4850 for ~6.5k on his site.

TheITWares -Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card - TheITWares

PM TheITWares. He may have stock.

If thats not available then the HD4770 is a good alternative as Madnav suggests. It consumes much lesser power and performance is ~90% of the HD4850 for ~90% of the price :p

damn said:
17" CRT would mean 1280 x 1024 resolution. The HD4850 should be able to handle most of the games at highest settings without AA or AF. Some of the games you mentioned, it could easily handle even with 8x AA and AF
I feel at this resolution, the monitor will work only at 60Hz & the display will look like it is flickering ,although not sure if the same will be noticable in games or not but the resolution I kept for my 17" CRT was 1024 X 768.
If it is same with OP then, any of the above mentioned GPU would work.

and one more thing i forgot to mention that my mother board is asus m2n68am and i think it has pci express 1.0...people say 2.0 cards are backward compatible with 1.0 and i really dont know the meaning of backward compatible....and please also speak about the temperature of the cards...gud mrng to all.. :)

Your cabinet may not have enough cooling for most of the Graphic cards. I suggest you open the side panel while you game. Get a used HD 4850 if you can or a new HD5670. Both card will actually be more than enough for a 17" monitor. And my guess is that the native resolution of the monitor must be 1024X768. The resolution you mentioned must be at 60Hz.

yeah almost all the 4850's are replaced by the 5770 so i suggest you to gather 2k more and ge ta brand new 5770 but will it get enough power from cx400w ?

dont buy any ati 4 series card now as in future you will face rma issues, trust me i faced it for my 4850 rma recently and you don't want to get in that situation, its better you collect some more money and buy a 5770 or whatever falls under your budget and if you will be going for 5770 than i think y\your psu wont be sufficient atleast 450w is recommended and if your going for 5750 than your psu will be good t o go.

where do I get used 5750 in bangalore...I can either get a used 5750 in bangalore or a brand new 5670....will I be able to play all the games released till date in these cards in 1024*768?

Back