Graphic Cards ati 4850 a worthy upgrade?

I have been using the HD4850 for close to 2 years now. It's been a rock solid card in terms of performance. But whatever you do, buy a double slot cooler based HD4850. I suffered by buying a launch day model card with reference cooler and ran into high temp issues. I have been using it with an Accelero S1 Rev.2 mounted with a 120mm fan. The only real problem with ATI is it's buggy drivers. That's the only problem I have experienced so far. Apart from that most of the games are handled perfectly @1280x1024 and @1080p.

^^ infact that single slot reference card runs much cooler than any dual slot cooled HD4850 n the market if you just remove the red enclosure and put 2x 120mm fans on top of it.. it may match the performance of the accelero but that is still to be tested and compared.

i have had 30-33c idle for 4850 with 2x 120mm fans on top of stock heatsink, load temps were well in control.

sorry for OT :ashamed: :p

I really cannot imagine how people here are suggesting a HD5770! Wow! This GPU is a serious overkill for him.

@OP Get yourself a 5670, it will be very sufficient for all of your gaming needs at that resolution. You can get a 4850 (used) but you seriously don't need it and you'll be wasting it. The 5670 will run cooler, consume less electricity..what else do you need?

and Please dont compare 5670 with 4850/5770

If his budget allows him to purchase HD 5670 it would be a very good idea. Getting HD 4000 series card would a very stupid decision. HD 5000 series runs far cooler than HD 4000 series and have more features and is very efficient, especially Direct X 11, and not to forget power requirements, while HD 5670 is since based on 40nm technology would draw far too less power. I don't know even have clue why are you guys even suggesting him to get HD 4850, even while he's using an old 17" CRT. With HD 5670 HD he would be able to play almost all the games on full resolution with almost all features set to high.

buya radeon 4670 with that u can play almost every game with decent fps ... it will suit u best ...... save money get better cpu ,monitor & psu in future ... bcoz those things also matters ..... I will prefer u buy second hand one bcoz buying a new directx 10 card at present time is a waste....:)

guys...I have bought a corsair 400w psu for 2.6k and i have not even opened the package...i thought i will use it once i purchase a graphic card...is corsair 400w not good enough? because kingkaran suggested me to upgrade my psu...i thought getting a corsair 400w itself is a major upgrade! and is 5670 good enough to play all the games...I thought 4850 is way ahead in performance and its available at the same price as 5670.

Well Cx400 should be sufficient even with the 4850, but 4850 consumes a lot of power and I guess you will be on the edge with CX 400(so not advisable). but If you are going 5 series cards(<5770) then it will be Ok.

4850 consumes more power and has more raw power so GPU heavy games will run better on ATI 4850, but your resolution is so low(on 17" CRT 1024x768 resolution@85Hz looks good AFAIK) :p. So even 5670@5.2k should be sufficient, plus you get extra features/tech.

if you have monitor upgrade in your mind within a year or so then I would suggest you to buy atleast 5750.

Well for your needs and the games suggested, a ATI 4850 is more than futureproof. At resolutions of 1280, it is the best value card you can get which will last for anothey year without any issues. Remember that the card is powerful enough to play all current games at 1680 with max detail.

And as madnav suggested, the single slot with the fan attached is very good for temperatures and is tried and tested in TE by many :)

The only problem is the prower hungry nature of the card. If you find a ATI 4770, its the best thing that you can give to your gaming experience. It will run all games at ur native resolution and with high visual detail, using much less power than the 4850. Availaibility is an issue, but i think you can find it with little trips around shops. ;)

So, if you get the 4770 steal it ;), else buy a 4850.

Note: And whoever suggested a 5770, its just not worth it for his requirements and is a sheer overkill...

yup...I will buy 4850 and i think dx11 cannot be enjoyed on crts so i dont think i will be needing a dx11 card...plz correct me if i am wrong...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

is anybody selling used 5750 in bangalore?

err.. btw.. how is the 4850 card the reference design..?

these came w/o any modifications and i been told the temp goes abt 105C ..

Do they really pose a problem if that kinda temp is attained..?

^Yeah the reference AMD heatsink is best avoided. Get yourself one of those aftermarket-cooler types from Sapphire or XFX.

^^ indeed the reference design is capable of running the coolest if you can remove the red enclosure and put 1/2 120mm fans over it with cable ties.

arguably as good as an accelero.

^It can never beat an Accelero or even equal it, which is a heatpipe based heatsink whereas the reference design completely relies on fins. There's no way the two can be compared but yeah a bit of DIY should see the GPU through better temperatures.

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/pleasant-surprise-4850-owners-stock-coolers-125385.html

rockfella has used a 3rd party heatsink but i have tried it with the stock heatsink without removing its own fan.

and 2x 120mm 90cfm fan on the top.

idles temps were 1-2c above ambient and the load temps im not able to remember, going through my own posts :p

you may get better results with accelero if you change to high cfm 120mm fans but not with the standard fan module they are advertised with.

EDiTED:

here you go, with combination of 80 n 90mm fans :p

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/pleasant-surprise-4850-owners-stock-coolers-125385-2.html#post1012135

28c idle and 45c loadis pretty decent on a card which idles at 70-80c otherwise.

it may not be better than accelero, i havent tried one but commented only as per observations.. thus i said 'arguably as good as accelero' ..i mean at half or 1/3rd its cost :) :p

Back