Audio Audio output from desktop not as good as from laptop

dbzgoku

Disciple
Hi all. My desktop pc (gigabyte b75-d3h motherboard) has crap output, almost bland with no bass whereas the audio output form my laptop is quite good. the same headphone when used on both sound totally different. can somehting be done to enhance the audio quality of the desktop?

but my laptop doesn't have any soundcard. still it sounds quite good. and what i have studied about soundcards they jjst take the load off cpu for audio processing.cpu can also process sound in absence of sound card. so will putting a sound card really enhance the audio . i don't need 5.1 or 7.1 i just use 2.1 speakers or headphones mostly.

but my laptop doesn't have any soundcard. still it sounds quite good. and what i have studied about soundcards they jjst take the load off cpu for audio processing.cpu can also process sound in absence of sound card. so will putting a sound card really enhance the audio . i don't need 5.1 or 7.1 i just use 2.1 speakers or headphones mostly.
Where did you hear that , its totally BS. A soundcard makes a big difference in the SQ provided you use good headphones/speakers with it

Where did you hear that , its totally BS. A soundcard makes a big difference in the SQ provided you use good headphones/speakers with it
well mostly while googling. many places even saying sound cards becoming obsolete , thing of the past and all.

Well that is probably because DAC's are becoming much more popular and can be used with your smartphone,laptop. or PC. But owning both a Xonar DX and a Fiio E17 , i still find the Xonar DX to be much better than the Fiio E17. However i would suggest you to go with a DAC due its pairing capabilities and also easy plug and play nature.
Check out for DACs from Fiio you can then accordingly choose the one that fits your budget. Else check the TE Market Place there are quiet a few people selling amps at a decent price

Well that is probably because DAC's are becoming much more popular and can be used with your smartphone,laptop. or PC. But owning both a Xonar DX and a Fiio E17 , i still find the Xonar DX to be much better than the Fiio E17. However i would suggest you to go with a DAC due its pairing capabilities and also easy plug and play nature.
Check out for DACs from Fiio you can then accordingly choose the one that fits your budget. Else check the TE Market Place there are quiet a few people selling amps at a decent price
do i need to get dac or amp? or both?

A DAC would do fine , however a DAC with amp functionality can come in handy for high impedance audio gear played on portable media ( mp3 player, smartphone etc)

A DAC would do fine , however a DAC with amp functionality can come in handy for high impedance audio gear played on portable media ( mp3 player, smartphone etc)
thanks bro for the help. can you recommend one? also if i get internal soundcard to save some money which one you would recommend dg or dx? i don't use much hifi range speakers or headphones(sony srs D9, soundmagic p30 and xiaomi pistons only.) so considering that what would be best?

The Xonar DG would suffice if you want to buy a soundcard. About the DAC/AMP sorry but I have listened to only Fiio products and Nuforce Udac (which does not sell currently I guess) and I found the Xonar DX to sound better than these products overall.

The Xonar DG would suffice if you want to buy a soundcard. About the DAC/AMP sorry but I have listened to only Fiio products and Nuforce Udac (which does not sell currently I guess) and I found the Xonar DX to sound better than these products overall.
Thanks. one final question. Between DG and DX is the sound quality difference too much to justify buying dx?

After considering your requirement it seems DG will be best bet for you. If you have any interest in DAC's, I have FIIO E9, which is lying unused, I can think of selling it at a good price. Let me know.

After considering your requirement it seems DG will be best bet for you. If you have any interest in DAC's, I have FIIO E9, which is lying unused, I can think of selling it at a good price. Let me know.
E9 is only an amplifier right? my main concern is not to amplify but to increase the SQ though i use headphone mostly so amp may be of use. I am stuck between fiio e10k(both amplifier and dac for 5k) or xonar dg/dx. one member here is selling used dx. but haven't really got any reviews about the same.

Both DG and DX are good. DX being costly will surely have better SQ than DG. If your budget permits go for DX, I guess it is also loud enough for normal headphones. Though DG has inbuilt amplifier.

From the reviews I had read whilst purchasing ( 4 years back) , Xonar DX was a worthwhile upgrade over DG and worth the extra dough you spend on the same. But your current audio gear wont be able to extract the most out of the sound card , probably if you invest in next tier of audio gear you would notice the difference in the 2. So unless you have plans of doing the same Xonar DG should suffice for you.

True, agree with flux. If you dont have high end headphones, you would be hard pressed to find the difference between the two. If you are getting used DX at good price you may go for it otherwise DG will be the wiser choice for now.

Back