Audio Technica T200 review

audiotechnicaatht200600.jpg

Introduction

First off a special thanks to Gautam from Pristine Note for loaning me two more models of Audio Technicas T series line up - the T200 and the T500.

In the same price range, Audio Technica has two more models - M20 and the M35 and it will be interesting to see if there are any significant differences between these 4 headphones.

The headphone on review today is the T200 which is the entry level model of the Audio Technica headphone lineup in India.

For those that don't know, Audio Technica is a Japanese company specializing in microphones and headphones. They have some serious audiophile headphones like the ATH-W5000 retailing for a whooping $700 !!! :)

Build quality and comfort

Build quality is ok. It doesn't feel flimsy but its not in the same league as the rest of the Audio Technica headphones. On the plus side the headphones are very light and fit securely on the head. The cups can swivel around for single cup listening. The clamping force is medium light which means its pretty comfortable while providing decent isolation. However other closed cans like the M50 provide much better isolation. The top headband is plastic and what clamps on your head is a wide rubber band that's adjustable on both ends. The cable is about 3 meters long which is quite convenient.
It comes with a standard 3.5mm jack and has a 6.5 snap in adapter.

image001gl.jpg

image002ff.jpg

image003qn.jpg

image005yi.jpg

image006hu.jpg

image007dzd.jpg

Specs

Type: Dynamic
Driver: 40mm
Output: 100dB/mW
Frequency response: 20 - 22,000Hz
Largest input: 500mW
Impedance: 40 ohms
Plug: 3.5mm gold-plating stereo mini-plug
Cord length: 3m

These headphones are pretty easy to drive and I can safely listen to them even out of a portable media player.

Sound

They were burned in for about 10 hours before reviewing and I found very little (if any) changes in the sound during that time so they do not require any significant burn-in time to sound their best.

My test setup was either my BlackBerry phone and my Music Streamer II DAC --> Audio-GD Compass Amp. There was a very small improvement when using the amp so these phones can be enjoyed without the need of an amplifier. Though a better source does make a small difference.

These cans are mostly neutral which is quite an achievement considering at its price point you get headphones which are mostly mid centric or bass centric.

Bass - Bass has got decent punch but extension is lacking and is definitely on the lighter side of neutral. Speed is decent and there is enough impact to ensure a decent performance in bass heavy tracks.

Mids - Mids are slightly forward though its still more or less neutral. However the vocals sound a bit hollow and even though detailing is darn good for the price the T200 retails at.

Treble - Treble is a the real surprise. I am yet to come across a headphone in this price range or even double its price range that can do treble so well ! The treble is well extended, has a bit of sparkle and is smooth to boot with no sibilance. The treble is even better than its more expensive sibling the M20.

Soundstage - The T200 is a closed can but it still manages to give a decent performance in the sound-stage department. Its reasonably wide and has decent depth but average height. Imaging and positioning is also decent. Considering its price point the T200 puts up a very good performance.

The overall sound is a bit forward and bright-neutral. I have never felt the need to add any EQ to the sound to 'fix' anything which is pretty amazing for a can in this price range.

Compared to M20

The M20 is a step up to the T200 in terms of detailing and offers slightly more bass impact. However the M20 is a more laid back neutral-dark headphone while the T200 is a slightly forward bright-neutral headphone.

The T200 has a more forward and extended treble which makes for a more engaging and lively sound. The M20 can showcase more details but has a more laid back treble. They are really meant for different genres.

Build quality wise the M20 is a step up with better plastic and a coiled cable. However I don't foresee any major build problems with the T200.

I wont compare them to the M35 since the M35 is almost 3 times the price ! :p

Conclusion

This is a good pair of headphones for its price point with no major weaknesses.

Though some might complain about the slightly hollow vocals, its not a deal breaker in my opinion. Those looking for listening to genres like Rock will like the T200's lively treble and slightly forward sound.

The T200 is retailing for 1350 which puts in the HD201/HD202 territory. I haven't heard the HD202 and I heard the HD201 a long time back so I wont compare them. However the HD201 are rather hard to drive and from what reviews I have read of the HD202 I hear they are bassy dark sounding headphones. The T200 are slightly bright headphones with not so much bass quantity so the HD202 and T200 are very different animals.

I really haven't heard a headphone with such good treble at anything less than Rs 3500 which the Audio Technica M35 retails for.

Ill admit that it was a little hard to be fair to this headphone as I am used to hearing far more expensive headphones but I caught myself tapping my head and shaking my head like an idiot listening to some tracks so its definitely a headphone I could come to love if it was my only pair.

FOR : People looking for a neutral headphone who want a slightly engaging sound. People who don't need thumping bass.
NOT FOR : Bass heads, those looking for lush vocals or an expansive soundstage.

Re: Audio Technica ATH-T200 review

Nice Review BF1983. good you mentioned about HD202 as they fall in similar price range and obviously people would be curious about comparisons between them.

I own the HD202 and my impressions are exactly same as yours.

Thanks guys. :)

@Malique - Thanks for confirming that as I based my impression on the HD202 based sorely on reviews rather than a first hand listening account.

Will be reviewing their bigger (and more expensive) brother the T500 soon.

The T500 has a more sturdy build quality and is more comfortable than the T200. Sound quality is also improved while keeping the T series slightly bright-neutral character in mind. Stay tuned for more ! :)

I am very much interested in buying the T500. Do post a fully fledged review soon. :)

Brendon, thanks a lot for talking your time from your hectic schedule to write a review. Its quite a spot-on review. T-200 are usually found in Singapore, mostly in the stores dealing with Music instruments. T-200 are for people who are interested in very basic headphones from Audio Technica. M20, as you have correctly pointed is better. We also tried the T50, for the Indian Domestic Market. I will update you if those should be available for the Indian Market.

I would look forward to your review on T500, I am sure treble heads should be in for a treat.

Thanks to your fair and candid review. Positive feedback from TE members, we sold out the M35 and 50.

BF1983 said:
FOR : People looking for a neutral headphone who want a slightly engaging sound. People who don't need thumping bass.
NOT FOR : Bass heads, those looking for lush vocals or an expansive soundstage.
This is so useful for a lot of people. Thanks for including this part. :) Excellent review.

Back