Audio Audiophile and gears

HD600 is the king in my collection with tubes. The main issue of 598 is the slow response ( if an open bass note is played it resonates for a long time) Regarding energy, give HD25 a try with any decent amp. That's possibly the fastest and most energetic headphones Sennheiser will continue to make.
The entire audiophile line will go to Sonoma with Sennheiser's name. But Sennheiser is clever enough to keep on manufacturing their pro studio headphones like HD25, 280, 300 etc.( though not for audiophiles, any minimal change in sound signature will just kill the workflow of producers, engineers)
Yes, it's day and night for crazies like us. BTW anybody paired Focal clear with tubes?

Focal Clear are supposed to sound very good on tubes , never tried it but have seen numerous posts on head-fi with users confirming the same. I have a ZMF Auteur coming shortly which are touted to be amazing with tubes and that should satisfy my cravings for a good time.

Last edited:
What's that chip used for? It looks like a DAC chip, you're gonna do some DIY stuff to build your own DAC? It also looks cheap

That DAC board connects to a RPI and then you can install Volumio/ Moode to the RPI and connect the board's RCA out to powered speakers. I just recently setup my RPI 4 OMV with Transmission for a headless Torrent download rig and playing around with the RPI made me want to build a ghetto little DAC with a separate RPI unit.

Yes, it's inexpensive and for the price the board has some very decent audio quality as per reviews.

If you want a much more superior sounding DAC surrounding the RPI you can have a look at this product:

ALLO BOSS2 PLAYER
The HE400i is not an easy to drive planar, they need sufficient amplification and Fiio E10K will surely not be sufficient. My first real foray into planars was with a HE560 v2 and I just had a Fiio E17, did absolutely no justice to them. Purchased a SS Class-A amp @18k and boy it was a different beast altogether. In comparison the newer releases mainly Sundara/Ananda dont need as much amplification as the older planars do

Will the DEVA fair better with the FiiO E10K?

That DAC board connects to a RPI and then you can install Volumio/ Moode to the RPI and connect the board's RCA out to powered speakers. I just recently setup my RPI 4 OMV with Transmission for a headless Torrent download rig and playing around with the RPI made me want to build a ghetto little DAC with a separate RPI unit.

Yes, it's inexpensive and for the price the board has some very decent audio quality as per reviews.

If you want a much more superior sounding DAC surrounding the RPI you can have a look at this product:

ALLO BOSS2 PLAYER

Will the DEVA fair better with the FiiO E10K?

Based on what I have read the Deva is far easier to drive , the specs also indicate the same. Think it should run fine out of the Fiio E10K

Focal Clear are supposed to sound very good on tubes , never tried it but have seen numerous posts on head-fi with users confirming the same. I have a ZMF Auteur coming shortly which are touted to be amazing with tubes and that should satisfy my cravings for a good time.
When can i audition these with your Euterpe ?

@Black_Hawk

Congrats on new gear. The headphone amp in that marantz amp is pretty damn good. Do try it out. I have the previous gen 5004 in my bedroom setup and it sounds very good.

Anybody here using any DeVore Fidelity's speakers? Have a Sprout 100 sitting around for months as we got rid of all passive speakers.
Was reading an article about John DeVore and he mentioned the very disturbing trend of inefficient passive speakers in high end audio.

Anybody here using any DeVore Fidelity's speakers? Have a Sprout 100 sitting around for months as we got rid of all passive speakers.
Was reading an article about John DeVore and he mentioned the very disturbing trend of inefficient passive speakers in high end audio.
A friend has a the O/96 powered by a SET. Sounds really effortless and is incredibly nice with vocal music. It's very neutral without sounding analytical. Not the most extended at both ends however.

Hi guys, I’m new in this audiophile hobby. Few days ago, I purchased HiFiman He400i 2020. I’m desperately searching a hard shell case for transportability, have narrowed down my search to Beyerdynamic DT Hard Case, only few are left in HPZ. So a quick response will be appreciated.
Can anyone here measure the ear-cup size of any Beyerdynamic DT model (dt770 or higher)?
The ear-cup hinges are needed to be taken into account during measurement.

Just place your headphone’s one ear-cup on a white paper. Ear-cup’s outer side should be flat on the surface. Now draw two points marking two rotatory hinges of the ear-cup on the paper. Then measure the distance between the 2 points by a ruler or a measuring tape. OR Just take a ruler or measuring tape and measure above mentioned distance directly.
He400i’s ear-cup measures to be 115mm. So the inner height of the case has to be more than 115mm for safety. Beyerdynamic officially states the case’s outer height to be 13mm, but nowhere I’ve found it’s inner height. If anyone can, please cofirm.
or if someone here owns both He400i 2020 and any Beyer dt model with the dt Hard case, please let me know if He400i fits in. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I need some help. I was looking to buy Sony WH XM3 for a long time given it’s better price compared to XM4 and good ANC but the price is still very high for me and I wanted to ask you guys is it a good option to consider? How is the sound quality.

I am usually not a headphones guy as I much prefer IEM due to size and comfort (my ears get warm and sweaty from headphones) and for the fact that I did not like my previous headphones at all (Audio Technica ATH-M50X). The M50x sound very boring for my taste. I am not an Audiophile so I don’t know the correct terms to describe how it sounds but it sounds very muffled for my liking. For reference my absolutely favourite IEM till now is KZ ZS 10 Pro. These blew my head off on how good they sound for the music I hear (Metal & EDM).

Considering all this would it be a good idea to buy the XM3? I don’t want to make an expensive mistake again.

Hi guys, I need some help. I was looking to buy Sony WH XM3 for a long time given it’s better price compared to XM4 and good ANC but the price is still very high for me and I wanted to ask you guys is it a good option to consider? How is the sound quality.

I am usually not a headphones guy as I much prefer IEM due to size and comfort (my ears get warm and sweaty from headphones) and for the fact that I did not like my previous headphones at all (Audio Technica ATH-M50X). The M50x sound very boring for my taste. I am not an Audiophile so I don’t know the correct terms to describe how it sounds but it sounds very muffled for my liking. For reference my absolutely favourite IEM till now is KZ ZS 10 Pro. These blew my head off on how good they sound for the music I hear (Metal & EDM).

Considering all this would it be a good idea to buy the XM3? I don’t want to make an expensive mistake again.
The xm3 didnt sound good at all. For that matter, all of sony’s range that i have heard sounds dull, compressed and artificially smooth to me.

The xm3 didnt sound good at all. For that matter, all of sony’s range that i have heard sounds dull, compressed and artificially smooth to me.

Thank you so much for this. You saved me from spending a significant amount of money on something I won’t like. I was just getting into the hype from all the reviews on YouTube raving about the XM3 for the ANC. But if I am spending 20k on something I would really want it to sound amazing. Like I mentioned I don’t like the M50x and I spent like 10-11k on it and was a very expensive mistake for me.

Thank you so much for this. You saved me from spending a significant amount of money on something I won’t like. I was just getting into the hype from all the reviews on YouTube raving about the XM3 for the ANC. But if I am spending 20k on something I would really want it to sound amazing. Like I mentioned I don’t like the M50x and I spent like 10-11k on it and was a very expensive mistake for me.
Get a Sennheiser HD6XX and an OTL AMP to pair with it, it is an epic combo you can never go wrong with it !

What is the usecase ? If ANC and bluetooth both are important then the XM3 is ok , if bluetooth is the only requirement there are quiet a few options with better SQ. If Sound Quality is the top preference and wired works then you need to decide on a budget and then we can suggest options.

Hi guys, I’m new in this audiophile hobby. Few days ago, I purchased HiFiman He400i 2020. I’m desperately searching a hard shell case for transportability, have narrowed down my search to Beyerdynamic DT Hard Case, only few are left in HPZ. So a quick response will be appreciated.
Can anyone here measure the ear-cup size of any Beyerdynamic DT model (dt770 or higher)?
The ear-cup hinges are needed to be taken into account during measurement.

Just place your headphone’s one ear-cup on a white paper. Ear-cup’s outer side should be flat on the surface. Now draw two points marking two rotatory hinges of the ear-cup on the paper. Then measure the distance between the 2 points by a ruler or a measuring tape. OR Just take a ruler or measuring tape and measure above mentioned distance directly.
He400i’s ear-cup measures to be 115mm. So the inner height of the case has to be more than 115mm for safety. Beyerdynamic officially states the case’s outer height to be 13mm, but nowhere I’ve found it’s inner height. If anyone can, please cofirm.
or if someone here owns both He400i 2020 and any Beyer dt model with the dt Hard case, please let me know if He400i fits in. Thanks in advance.
Don't make things so complicated man!! I have a hard case for DT770 and Deva simply doesn't fit.
Buy the biggest possible Geekria case ( less than 25EUR, fits even Sundara comfortably)
What do you don't like about M50X? The sharp treble peaks?
What do you need exactly?
A) Open/ closed back?
B) Wired/ wireless?
C) Name a pair of headphones that you like.
D) Are you treble sensitive? How much do you value soundstage?( headphones with large soundstages often miss the precise placements including very expensive ones. Narrower headphones are usually more precise)
E) Purely for enjoyment? Do you need it for audio related works?

Last edited:
Get a Sennheiser HD6XX and an OTL AMP to pair with it, it is an epic combo you can never go wrong with it !

Aren’t they like 30k+ That’s way beyond my budget.

Don't make things so complicated man!! I have a hard case for DT770 and Deva simply doesn't fit.
Buy the biggest possible Geekria case ( less than 25EUR, fits even Sundara comfortably)

What do you don't like about M50X? The sharp treble peaks?
What do you need exactly?
A) Open/ closed back?
B) Wired/ wireless?
C) Name a pair of headphones that you like.
D) Are you treble sensitive? How much do you value soundstage?( headphones with large soundstages often miss the precise placements including very expensive ones. Narrower headphones are usually more precise)
E) Purely for enjoyment? Do you need it for audio related works?

So like I said I am not an Audiophile so my answers will be in noob language so please bear with me.

What I don’t like about the M50X is that it feels that the sound is coming from far away and feels very muffled. Like someone has covered the speakers and you are still trying to listen. I listen at low volume and at low volume understanding the song becomes very difficult. Muffled would be the word I would use. I don’t feel the instruments.

I like music to pump me up, get my blood pumping type. These feel very mellow, boring. Like I said my favourite IEM so far has been KZ ZS 10 Pro. Listing to them is pure bliss. I feel like I am on a different planet, the music is in your face. The bass is just right not crazy. I can hear lyrics Crystal clear and even all the instruments.

With M50x it Also it gets really hot too use after a while and my ears start sweating and paining.

What do I need exactly

A) I don’t know the difference I guess either will be fine as long as the sound quality is good.

B) Wireless would be good, reason I was considering the Sony was because of wireless and ANC.

C) Haven’t tried a lot of headphones, more of a IEM guy. My favourite IEM like I said is KZ ZS 10 Pro. These are the best thing I have ever heard. Blon BL 03 is a good second choice. RHA MA 390 are not bad either.

D) For this again I am not sure I will be able to answer it properly given that I like the KZ which I don’t think has great soundstage I guess I am not sensitive to it.

E) Purely for enjoyment, don’t work on music at all.

Back