Audio Audiophile and gears

Is there any earbud enthusiasts here?

Not the tws earbuds, but flat head old type earbuds like sennheiser mx500, ve monk etc
Not exactly an enthusiast but I love earbuds. Hate IEMs because of the seal they make. Sad to see that earbuds are on the verge of disappearance. Own a few. All dirt cheap. VE Monk Plus, Cat Ear Audio Mimi, Edifier H180, Sennheiser MX170, Faaeal Iris, a Soundmagic (dont know the model).

Not exactly an enthusiast but I love earbuds. Hate IEMs because of the seal they make. Sad to see that earbuds are on the verge of disappearance. Own a few. All dirt cheap. VE Monk Plus, Cat Ear Audio Mimi, Edifier H180, Sennheiser MX170, Faaeal Iris, a Soundmagic (dont know the model).
i used ve monk version 2, monk plus, ve monk SL, willsound mk2 se which i still have, 1more semi openback earbud, moondrop shiroyuki, moonbuds crescent etc.
actually earbuds are back in buisimess in asian countries like philipines,indonesia, malasia, singapore, japan etc
there are a lot of custom earbud makers now

He was using registered post from singapore. so it came through post office.
even if we declare the value under 15 or 10usd still they gonna charge whatever they like. Thats the issue. There were many such insidents. If we use special shipping methods then also there is a chance for duty. pure luck
I know. But that’s not gonna be huge. I’ll use DHL express, I guess they'll take care of everything. In the end I just have to pay the required duty. Such whimsical activities are expected from INDIAN departments. No wonder there.
Please don't fall for this low value thing. It used to work 8-10 years ago and definitely won't work now.
Customs will inevitably catch it and impose a huge penalty. That's why no reputable company doesn't declare low value for India anymore ( Penon/ Drop etc.)
It’s not me asking actually. They do it on their own. So I think they take enough precautionary measures to prevent mishaps.
I have used Shenzhen Audio in past, but that was about 4-5 years ago. Just tell them to use Singpost before ordering, I was not charged any customs back then even though my IEM costed around 20k. Whatever happens do share your experience here with rest of us after you get your order. Good luck.
Things have changed quite a lot tbh. Yep, I’ll definitely share my experience. I am gonna order one before diwali I guess.

I know. But that’s not gonna be huge. I’ll use DHL express, I guess they'll take care of everything. In the end I just have to pay the required duty. Such whimsical activities are expected from INDIAN departments. No wonder there.

It’s not me asking actually. They do it on their own. So I think they take enough precautionary measures to prevent mishaps.

Things have changed quite a lot tbh. Yep, I’ll definitely share my experience. I am gonna order one before diwali I guess.
with dhl they some times refund the amount if customs duty was less, i read about this refund thing in TIAF facebook forum. But i suspect that this can be the other way too, dhl may ask for extra payment if the duty exceeds the paid amount.

DHL has agreed to deal with undervalued product?
I tried to ship an old M50X from Prague to India. They gave me an estimate of minimum 100 EUR ( plus duty if it exceeds 30 EUR)
BTW, nice to have new audiophile members here.

I once sent a parcel back to China through DHL for repairs, their service is top notch. They charge around $100 for one way and Shenzhen Audio beared return shipping. It was little expensive but they were the only one who were ready to take an electronic item for international shipping at that time. Hence I advice against importing any item unless you know what you are getting into. I saw few dusks which were selling on PLGS a month ago so maybe try there if buying used is also an option.

DHL has agreed to deal with undervalued product?
I tried to ship an old M50X from Prague to India. They gave me an estimate of minimum 100 EUR ( plus duty if it exceeds 30 EUR)
BTW, nice to have new audiophile members here.
It’s actually very inconspicuous packaging done by SZA I think. No way to know.
with dhl they some times refund the amount if customs duty was less, i read about this refund thing in TIAF facebook forum. But i suspect that this can be the other way too, dhl may ask for extra payment if the duty exceeds the paid amount.
Yep, certainly this can happen. And for extra shipping charge, it’s worth the cost to ensure scuff free delivery.

Pardon my ignorance. What is PLGS? A forum like TIAF?

Yes, DHL is expensive but very reliable.

Just noticed that I've been using a "club mode" in PXC550 mk II in the Sennheiser's smart control app after some firmware update months ago.
And everything was sounding like a very small amount of reverb has been added with significant boost in lower range.
Thought Sennheiser is trying to sound like 1000XM4 ( I don't like that specific sound signature)
Changed it to neutral...and everything again sounds normal ( bright and sharp with fast and sharp bass transients)

DHL also usually charge a pretty hefty customs clearing charges as well. It doesn't seem too expensive for something which itself is expensive, but for cheaper items, sometimes their clearance charge exceeds the actual customs duty charged. I remember paying 300 or 500 bucks just as customs clearance charge and I've heard people get charged even a 1000 bucks for this.

I'm missing this thread, my motherboard is still under rma.
Anyways I need to ask if there's any desktop headphone amplifier available with 2 single ended analogue inputs, where I can feed from to two different DACs. Something like ifi Zen can, which I want to avoid because of warm sounding signature.

If you are really into buying he400se and don’t want to invest in a separate amp, buy a powerful dongle dac like E1DA or Hidizs s9 pro or Lotoo. I got s9 pro specifically for my he400i. I couldn’t hear a difference in SQ between S9 pro as line out to my Zen can and s9 pro alone. So I sold my zen can. No need to buy a desktop amp, if you aim for portability and ease of use. S9 pro pumps good amount of power (100mw@32ohms) in SE. If you want more power, you can buy any of E1DA 9038s depending upon your cable selection.
grapevine is that 400se is a bit more tougher to drive than 400i. The 400i is expensive as well. If i decide to change amps again after getting the dongle it would add to the cost. So i will park this
HD560S sound signature is little bright when compared to 6xx or 598. bright neutral kind of signature. HE400se will be a similar kind of bright signature but there will be a difference of planar magnetic driver vs dynamic driver sound. i believe resolution will be slightly better with 400se.
The catch is 400se is low sensitivity and low impedance. it need proper desktop level amplification to to get its 100 percent potential. you can use lower powered amps but still. 560S will be a lot more easy to drive. In my case as i lok for warm sound i wil not be choosing both but if i have to choose among these two then i will go for 560S as it is made of dynamic driver and more easy on the ear sound than the 400se
Looks like either will be good for me
I am using a HE400i with a Sonata HD Pro which is enough to drive it more than loud enough with high gain trick, but to really bring out the dynamics out I use the xDuoo MT-602 desktop amp. If you have a budget of only 5k or less, I can recommend the Sonata HD Pro dongle, otherwise please spend the 7.5k on the xDuoo hybrid tube amp at the very least, if not the 900rs Apple USB C to 3.5 dongle as well. Not like the HE400SE will be particularly portable anyway, and you will still be able to get decent volume out of phones and such, but you can't beat the SQ of a proper desktop amp, at least for budget Hifiman planars.
Moreover, once you have a powerful desktop amp, you can upgrade your cans without much hesitation as well.
Thats a brilliant suggestion. Already got an iphone lightning dongle so things look settled. Now have to wait for a good price for the 400se.

Any idea if the input via rca has any benefit over the aux.

Anyways I need to ask if there's any desktop headphone amplifier available with 2 single ended analogue inputs, where I can feed from to two different DACs. Something like ifi Zen can, which I want to avoid because of warm sounding signature.

At Price Bracket of Zen CAN.....I don't think there is anything available in India.....Only xDuoo MT-602, then again it must be warm as it run by tube.

Anyhow Zen CAN OOS for months now and iFi released the HiFIMAN Signature Version of Zen CAN - I doubt if the Zen CAN may be discontinued?

At Price Bracket of Zen CAN.....I don't think there is anything available in India.....Only xDuoo MT-602, then again it must be warm as it run by tube.

Anyhow Zen CAN OOS for months now and iFi released the HiFIMAN Signature Version of Zen CAN - I doubt if the Zen CAN may be discontinued?
What are the other options, I didn't mention any price bracket. can extend my budget to 40k.

What are the other options, I didn't mention any price bracket. can extend my budget to 40k.
Most AMPs that I know so far offer a full-size Balance Input and RCA - None offer 2 Single-Ended input.

Upgrade Path will Be once Zen CAN discarded : (Inside India)

(1) SMSL SH-9 (24999/-) <---- Cheapest THX Amp with lots of Goodies (Screen, Remote) but this contains not an actual Balance Circuit, Despite that, I have high hopes for this but the Heat Generation which leads to cut off the AMP is a serious flaw in my consideration.

(2) SMSL SH-8s (22999/-) <----- Why bother when SH-9 presents at the market...no Modern Features*

(3) Topping A30 Pro (29999/-) <------ One of the kind, most time refer as poor man's A90.....Highly recommended one if the user doesn't look at Modern Features*.

(4) Gustard H16 (39999/-) <------ Those who got seems pretty happy and contained with its performance.

*Modern Features = Screen/Display/Remote

Last edited:
Thanks, these are some good options but without dual single ended input as I desire.
I think it's time for me to wait for a while maybe someone releases a new product.
I can buy a simple RCA switcher but that will be another Matchbox lying on top off amp.

I wonder why gustard removed the volume dial.

I'm missing something here. I've never seen a Zen can but know it's a DAC amp, it must have a stereo RCA and a 3.5mm input and if balanced must have a pentaconn or XLR input.
Why do you need 2 single ended analog input? If it's for 2 DACs with a single amp, just use the RCA for one and XLR for the other.
Regarding amp, since your budget is 40k, go straight for the A90. It's a really sharp amp with pitch black background even at high gain ( with more than enough power) and get the D90 later. Possibly the only purchase I never regretted even once.

I'm missing something here. I've never seen a Zen can but know it's a DAC amp, it must have a stereo RCA and a 3.5mm input and if balanced must have a pentaconn or XLR input.
Why do you need 2 single ended analog input? If it's for 2 DACs with a single amp, just use the RCA for one and XLR for the other.
Regarding amp, since your budget is 40k, go straight for the A90. It's a really sharp amp with pitch black background even at high gain ( with more than enough power) and get the D90 later. Possibly the only purchase I never regretted even once.

1. Zen CAN is only an AMP.....Part of Zen DAC stack (which only got 1 USB input nothing else).

2. A90 cost 50k in India.....With D90 (80k) in total 1.30 L. = One iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB. :)

People here go for D70S (Dual AKM 4497) @65k with A90 for pairing.

Last edited:
Back