Audio Audiophile and gears

My Hifiman HE400i ver. 2020's left driver has gone kaput after 13months of use. I had registered for extended warranty for the same but any idea how to go about claiming the same? I have emailed their customer service email for now, anything else I need to do?

EDIT: Maxing out the volume on my amp (xDuoo MT-602) seems to have brought it back, but there's some bass distortion in the left driver at higher volumes so will see if I can get it warrantied regardless
hifiman is usually very responsive, you might have to bear one side shipping but have heard of them repairing/replacing the units under warranty.

Can you please link the thread. Can't find it.

take em, i would take them in a blink but am already overloaded with over 10+ pair of speakers and what not.

they might not be the best out there but for the price they are being offered they are damn good.

you can add a LSR sub later and you are sorted. buy a used asus xonar etc sound card if powering from PC or add a DAC in between whenever you can .

My Hifiman HE400i ver. 2020's left driver has gone kaput after 13months of use. I had registered for extended warranty for the same but any idea how to go about claiming the same? I have emailed their customer service email for now, anything else I need to do?

EDIT: Maxing out the volume on my amp (xDuoo MT-602) seems to have brought it back, but there's some bass distortion in the left driver at higher volumes so will see if I can get it warrantied regardless
They're very good at RMA, i bought a 10 days old used sundara and it failed one side after few days. They were very helpful, provided me a new unit and even gave new invoice on my name and mentioned that warranty will start from the new date since it was quite new. Just raise a request in hifiman site and they'll contact you through email/phone to ship it to their Bangalore office.

take em, i would take them in a blink but am already overloaded with over 10+ pair of speakers and what not.

they might not be the best out there but for the price they are being offered they are damn good.

you can add a LSR sub later and you are sorted. buy a used asus xonar etc sound card if powering from PC or add a DAC in between whenever you can .
Thanks man.
Sadly my budget is 20k so don't think can add a sub.
Check the below thread
Audio Setup for Living Room under 20k

same thing happened with me a week ago, right driver went dead after a year, thankfully I opted for extended warrant. I used he400i occasionally, so daily wear n tear isn’t the problem, but infamous hifiman quality control. I messaged my ad goldfinch acoustics first, he asked me to contact hifiman directly, so I did via email amd also informed Mr. Purna over wp. Accordingly I shipped my unit via dtdc to Bangalore and that reached them Friday afternoon and haven’t heard anything back since. So today I again contacted Mr Purna and according to him office is closed due to absence of Mr Rajesh or someone like that who is the technician there and handles cs. Also he told me to expect a reply soon. lets see.

Hifiman official website has listed Mr Purna’s no, either talk to him directly over phone or wp him and also email cs along with purchase proof. They will eventually tell you to ship the unit to them.

Update: So they finally replied and said (as I suspected) to send he400se as replacement as he400i is oos. Which I turned down because of inferior silver profile, lower sensitivity like I can’t use them with just my phone for certain genre of music and use of cheaper ferrite instead of neodymium magnets. I asked if upgrade to sundara is possible. they offered Sundara V2 (yet to be launched) for extra 14999 citing sundara 2021 is out of stock. Hpz, audiostore, amazon have 2021 version in stock though. Now what should I do? I’m very much reluctant to spend another heavy bout of cash on Hifiman products. I expected them to ask for 12k for the upgrade as sundara 2021 is going now for 27k on all websites. But 15k (for v2 or not it doesn’t matter) is too much.

Now I’m confused. Should I just accept he400se and spend extra cash on hd650 as I’m eyeing them for a while or buy sundara v2 for extra?

Last edited:
Update: So they finally replied and said (as I suspected) to send he400se as replacement as he400i is oos. Which I turned down because of inferior silver profile, lower sensitivity like I can’t use them with just my phone for certain genre of music and use of cheaper ferrite instead of neodymium magnets. I asked if upgrade to sundara is possible. they offered Sundara V2 (yet to be launched) for extra 14999 citing sundara 2021 is out of stock. Hpz, audiostore, amazon have 2021 version in stock though. Now what should I do? I’m very much reluctant to spend another heavy bout of cash on Hifiman products. I expected them to ask for 12k for the upgrade as sundara 2021 is going now for 27k on all websites. But 15k (for v2 or not it doesn’t matter) is too much.

Now I’m confused. Should I just accept he400se and spend extra cash on hd650 as I’m eyeing them for a while or buy sundara v2 for extra?
Push for old version Sundara for extra 10k or refund. He400se isn't a good replacement. There are some used sundara in FB for as low as 15k, so not worth spending 15k over your he400i on those.

Push for old version Sundara for extra 10k or refund. He400se isn't a good replacement. There are some used sundara in FB for as low as 15k, so not worth spending 15k over your he400i on those.
That’s what I asked. Let’s see what they have to say. charging full msrp isn’t acceptable at all. Eventually V2 will sell for 27k. Also v2 hasn’t even launched yet. So don’t know what are the revisions done, sonic difference.

back n forth bickering didn’t result anything in fruitful and I’ve to settle for he400se. Spending another 15k for v2 isn’t worth it. They said govt allegedly increased import duty by 5%, so v2 has higher msrp than 2021. I didn’t want to throw another wad of cash towards hifiman. it’s better to incur loss of 4k than throwing more money. Now I am waiting for 650 sale to happen like last year.

back n forth bickering didn’t result anything in fruitful and I’ve to settle for he400se. Spending another 15k for v2 isn’t worth it. They said govt allegedly increased import duty by 5%, so v2 has higher msrp than 2021. I didn’t want to throw another wad of cash towards hifiman. it’s better to incur loss of 4k than throwing more money. Now I am waiting for 650 sale to happen like last year.
They're obligated to provide you a working he400i since it's in warranty. They can't make you take the he400se if you don't want it. It is your choice to escalate this further or to drop it. I thoughts they were good in RMA from personal experience and from user reports in other forums.

They said govt allegedly increased import duty by 5%, so v2 has higher msrp than 2021
I don't think that's something the consumer should be responsible for.

If a product is under warranty, they are obligated to provide a replacement working piece of equal or higher value, whether new or refurbished. I know these things can be taxing, but ideally you shouldn't accept a product of lower value. Prices having gone up isn't your problem.

This is their warranty terms. It's on their website. How can they deny it?

Screenshot_20220630-124531.png

So I emailed them again. Either he400i or an upgrade or a refund. No less than that. Now really I’m questioning my life decision of buying a hifiman instead of 560s. Even few days ago I even thought of upgrading to Ananda. Lol. Never again, not even in my horror dream. Like every fricking year they will revise models and discontinue previous versions. And spare parts availability becomes a joke.

CS is prompt and responsive though, but that doesn’t cut corners when they don’t know how to handle situations.

Update: so they dispatched he400se as soon as I emailed earlier today about sending that without any upgrade. I guess this is gonna be my end of story with hifiman. Anyway.
OH MY GOD. That's like half the price compared to current! I am badly in need to purchase a headphone and decided on the 560S but I see it's being sold at MRP, everywhere :ROFL:
This was one of the greatest deals last year. And due to that Sennheiser also has garnered some audiophile scalpers. Lmfao. I was browsing hpz’s pre-owned section the other day, saw many 650s priced above 33k, some closer to 41k , of course, with purchase date between october ‘21 and february ’22. They’re probably thinking that normies will just go gaga seeing that pricing. LoL.

Back