Auto Ignition Gas stove info needed

Are Auto Innition Burners worth their Value spent.

• Total voters

uziel

Techie The Grandos
Adept
Hello, I am trying to buy Auto Ignition Glass top Gas Stove, may be 3 or four burner with Piezo or battery ignition. Since last 3-4 days I have read reviews all over and am not happy about this. Mostly I have negative reviews be it any brand like Glen, Faber, Padmini, Prestige etc. Common problems are:

(a) Auto ignition stops working from first day to next anytime 6 months or so.
(b) Glass top cracks fast due to heat
(c) Popup / blast sound from some burners.
(d) Service very bad from company.

I was wondering why spend from 2000-15000 on wards to buy a problem. Is an ordinary stainless steel gas stove is much better than these high-fi stove. Please owners, share feedback.

Costlier stoves don't show any of the problems that you listed.

No 3 happens when the burners are not seated properly. Not a big deal... It's user training issue.

Faber is supposed to be a good brand AFAIK, in one review site, almost 90% had worst reviews for it.

Faber is one of the oldest brands in India... it's well known but not well made. good models from Faber are not available in India. visit any multi-brand store and you'll find Faber quite repulsive.

if you are really thinking of investing in such hobs then you should see them in real life... online pictures look quite pretty.

you need to be aware of the following points:
1) hobs with black glass tops need extra effort in its upkeep/cleaning. however, they are not so fragile as you have read online.
2) these hobs come with European burners (aluminium) which produce less heat and consume more gas. you can go for brass burners suitable for indian cooking but then they don't look so elegant.

i've seen lots of brands/models and i found Kaff, Elica and Cata (and maybe a few more) to be better than the rest. good ones cost more than Rs 20K

Hobs and cooktops are pretty different from one another.

I recently got a Sunflame 4 burner manual ignition glass cooktop for the time being, cost me 5.5k.
I guess the auto igntion ones from good brands cost even more than this.

Stainless steel ones are definitely more durable than the glass ones but that is like a compromise you make for the looks.
My sister in law has an auto ignition type cooktop and it always makes a chattering noise (caused by the ignitor's attempt to ignite) before igniton.

^^ no, there's no difference in the functionality of a cooktop and hob. they might have different designs or installation procedure but both can have the same features. and for a given burner size, they both cook the food in same time with same quantity of gas.

cooktops are moveable but built-in hobs are fixed in place. that's the only difference.

that chattering thing is not noise but sound of electric/spark lighter kicking in (not an attempt but real procedure). it's the same sound which is produced by a regular handheld spark lighter. only difference is that there are multiple lighters on a hob/cooktop, which if fire in unison will produce more sound.

the soundless types have a flame burning 24x7 to ignite the burners. high-end cooking ranges offer this functionality, whereby turning the knob will produce an instant soundless flame. indians can't afford to have a continuous flame burning their precious LPG and hence such feature is not available so commonly.

some models have auto igniters that run on battery and there are some which are fed mains.

But actually that chattering continues for like a few minutes or so which is very annoying.
May be its because it is old now.

Have used Butterfly for several years and the auto ignition stopped working after one year. Serviced it and after that it again stopped working after two months. My mom uses Fab and it had the same problem. Seems like when the auto ignition gets old the stone does not produce sparks. Probably if I am going to buy an new one I would not buy auto ignition anymore.

My bro bought a 2-burner auto ignition crap brand stove from some site like snapdeal or pepperfry for 1900 bucks or sth. after about a week, the glass shattered. Turned out the burner wasnt aligned properly and a bit of the flame was escaping from under the burner straight towards the glass! after aligning the burner properly, I noticed there was a sheet stuck on the bottom of the glass, probably to hold it together in case it shattered. Peeled this sheet off and used it as a template to make a granite top. Most kickass stove for the cost now!

Same story as @Chaos. Had to replace batteries a couple of times. But the burners provided by prestige are not the best quality and they are not able to provide proper branded replacements.

Back