Car & Bike Automatic Transmission - should we shift to Neutral at a standstill ?

No...
P is for parking
D is for forward and stop.

if you are on an incline, put in D and it wont go back. even without foot on the accelerator. you will be failed here in oz if you put it in N during exam.

if you are on an incline, put in D and it wont go back. even without foot on the accelerator.
even then, puny cars can easily slide back. similarly, if the incline is too much, just putting the car in D alone won't stop it from moving backwards. to avoid accidents, in such cases people use the brake pedal and not accelerator.

Wouldn't you have got a burning smell if you drove with your hand brake engaged?
you won't smell anything if the windows are closed and the AC is in recirculation mode.

Based on my personal experience in driving a i10 Auto,
if the car is in "D" mode, it will keep moving even when there is not accelerator input, hence its necessary to keep the foot on the brake pedal if you intend to stop.
In Bangalore's traffic you have no idea how long you will be standing at a location, hence to avoid stress on the right foot ,I normally shift to Neutral (N) and engage the hand brake, i.e. if I feel I am going to be stuck for some time
The other thing I do is to switch to "P" and switch off the engine, but if you are surrounded by buses and don't want to breathe in exhaust, then its better to leave it in "N" with the engine and ac running.

If there is a steep incline and one is driving an automatic and the car stops on the incline (stalling), how to make it climb the incline successfully ?
Will just using the lowest gear or the L mode and inputting the accelerator work ?

My FIL has Hyundai Eon which is a manual and on one such steep incline (times of India building approach, Malad side, WEH for those who want the location), it was very difficult for us to get the car to climb since it stalled in the middle of incline and pushing the clutch would send the car backwards (scary). At that time, I understand that the gear, clutch and accelerator combination has to work well to make through that incline. Also we had to switch off the AC else the car would no pickup.

How to tackle similar situation on an automatic car ?

is that even a question??? you put in D and leave the acc. to stay still. if its rolling back (it shouldnt) then you press break. to move forward, press the accelerator. if too steep, press break and acc at the same time and then at release the break very slowly at higher rpms... I strongly suggest you dont take up driving unless you've practiced at least 100km with an instructor. :p

with the manual it is little tricky, but what people usually do is put on hand brake and then leave the break and work the clutch and acc to get it moving forward and then disengage the hand brake. I usually handle the art of releasing the clutch while switching the foot to acc.

is that even a question??? you put in D and leave the acc. to stay still. if its rolling back (it shouldnt) then you press break. to move forward, press the accelerator. if too steep, press break and acc at the same time and then at release the break very slowly at higher rpms... I strongly suggest you dont take up driving unless you've practiced at least 100km with an instructor. :p

with the manual it is little tricky, but what people usually do is put on hand brake and then leave the break and work the clutch and acc to get it moving forward and then disengage the hand brake. I usually handle the art of releasing the clutch while switching the foot to acc.

Actually in US, I had to never drive on any inclines. In Mumbai too there are no inclines as such. But the place my FIL lives and where one my other relative lives, their buildings are on sort of a hilltop. And approach road is inclined. So query was for such cases.

^ I was just kidding... I personally dont like automatics. kinda oldschool.

but anyways, one foot for break and one foot for acc. on an incline, you just release the break while accelerating.

Hill hold does the magic for me, when i have to stop at incline for something or due to traffic. I just push brakes hard and when starting, Just lift foot off brakes and accelerate normally. Car does not roll back.

In case of manual/auto without hill hold you'll have to use handbrake in combination with accelerator and clutch. I tried that on city car driving simulator :p and it worked. car did not roll back.

or you could press the brakes and accelerator both at same time with your right foot (horizontally) it would work too.

So when you stop in start go traffic, you shift to neutral + engage hand brake.

Those are way too many things to do for a person who drives a auto. Why not get a manual instead?

Do you keep your leg on the brake the whole time you want to be stationary?
I find it particularly painful to do so for more than a minute or so.. so the neutral + handbrake gives my feet some rest.

If there is a steep incline and one is driving an automatic and the car stops on the incline (stalling), how to make it climb the incline successfully ?
Will just using the lowest gear or the L mode and inputting the accelerator work ?

My FIL has Hyundai Eon which is a manual and on one such steep incline (times of India building approach, Malad side, WEH for those who want the location), it was very difficult for us to get the car to climb since it stalled in the middle of incline and pushing the clutch would send the car backwards (scary). At that time, I understand that the gear, clutch and accelerator combination has to work well to make through that incline. Also we had to switch off the AC else the car would no pickup.

Most modern cars would come with the ability to prevent the engine from stalling, the engine RPM would increase and prevent the wheels from slipping.
Apart from the other options suggested by the other members.

Try the half-clutch method. When stopped on an incline, keep the brake and the clutch fully pressed. Now, slowly let go of the clutch and the brake at the same time. There will be a time around the halfway mark for the clutch where your car will remain stationary even if you lift your foot off the brake. This sweet spot is different for all vehicles. Know yours and you will have no problems on any incline.
When you have your vehicle on stationary just on clutch its just a matter of pressing the accelerator and leaving the clutch to move forward. First few times would be difficult, then its a breeze.

Back