Security Software AViRA / MSE / PANDA CLOUD ANTiViRUS - WHiCH ONE iS THE BEST For W7Ux64?

Microsoft Security Essentials +1, small ( setup 7 MB, updates once every 3 days 56 ~ 60MB ), and scans fast :)

MSE is the most powerful of them all when it comes for scanning Malware/Virus/etc even newly born , but lacks a Firewall. If u can use a firewall other than the Default windows then MSE is better than the others.

Avira FTW! just make sure that you update the antivirus which you are using as even the best antivirus is useless without updates.

GuruGulabKhatri said:
i got a Limited BSNl plan.So can i Update MSE Whenever I want? is there an Option?
Microsoft has a span of 3 days b/w consecutive update cycle, + I think if we are sensible during surfing ( obviously sometimes you can lower your gaurd if you explicitly trust a site ) we do not need a firewall. Still safety comes first you can use whatever security addons you want or stick to Avast but if you want to try out the Microsoft Security Essentials it is a very good upgrade from the earlier Microsoft One Care

wiki will tell you more, hope this helped :)

Microsoft Security Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Avira should be the best of the lot

but since you are using a limited dl plan it makes sense to get Avast

since the updates are quite small

Panda is teh shitz . But only if you have internet access always . Doesn't use up a lot of bandwidth so you should be okay on a limited plan

MSE is my personnel choice. I had installed it on my Sister's laptop with auto updates turn on. Its running peacefully since past 1year without any annoying popups. what's better she didn't even notice it, until it blocked malware running. Tension free solution for free. Kudos to Microsoft. If my Linux machine needed an AV software(Fortunately it does not) I would choose MSE.

And those to are suggesting Avira or Avast - Let me point of flaws of each.

Avast Free - Its malware detection engine is poor.It gives false positives & sometimes altogether fails to detect malware. Sometimes, It passes a infected file as clean which is nasty!!

Avira - Good AV with Strong detection engine but Its an adware.Can't tell you how much I hate those nagging popup window which blocks sreen everytime Avira updates itself. I fcking hate it as It stops work that I am doing and distracts me. It comes on the screen automatically out of nowhere. worst, there is no way to disable that nagging popup.

If you need a Basic Protection, MSE is way to go. If you need another option. Check AVG free, its decent too

+1 for Avira.. have been using avira for 3yrs.. nd has beeb gr8 no problem till date.. change the config to high heuristics..not tht gr8 a fan of MSE.
had installed it on my comp a couple of months back.. din like the feel of the software, has good detection of malware & virus, but takes a hell lot of time to do a thorough system scan, nd also takes time to remove the viruses..the reason why i switched back to avira was tht i started to get the blue screen of death within a month of installing MSE.. ended up reinstalling the OS.. Avira is the best.. have given u a few links below, the below site is an independent testing site for antivirus softwares... Avira scores are way better than avast & comparatively better than MSE..
please hve a go at the following links below nd decide..
(@ mods: hope it isn wrong to provide links for more info, if so, then plz do correct me thnk u)

For whole product dynamic test
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/wholedynamic2010.pdf

For Potentially Unwanted Applications
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/pua/avc_pua2010.pdf

For Performance Tests
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_dec_2010.pdf

For Detection Tests
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_retro_nov2010.pdf

PS: Since most of us will be using AVIRA AntiVir Premium, which is a free version, i would strongly recommend to also install Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBAM) along with avira..plz scan ur system with MBAM at least once a month.
for firewall COMODO firewall will do..

Back