Budget 31-40k B550 vs Z590 for Gen 4

Trazer854

Disciple
I'm putting together a build slowly, will be purchasing parts over the next few months based on availability.
I have a Gen 4 SSD and I'm aware that Z490 motherboards do not support it. However my initial plan was for a 10700/10850 with a Z490 but now that I've got this SSD I'm thinking of going for the new gen instead.

So will there be any considerable difference in performance between
B550 + 5800x
Z590 + 10700k

Gaming performance should be equivalent however for productivity AMD would be the better choice. If the price ends up being similar, which I think it will due to the higher cost of Z590 boards, I would pick AMD system over the Intel one.

Question, which Gen 4 SSD have you got? Some of the lower tiered ones do not have a significant performance delta to justify going for Z590 just for PCE4. If I were you, I would find the drives performance comparison for gen3 vs 4 & if there is no significant difference, I'll suggest going with your initial plan.

Anyways, in any case I would always prefer an AMD system over Intel if the cost difference is not significant enough due to better thermals & better platform longevity.

For gaming your experience will not very more than a couple of seconds. Be it a sata SSD or a gen 4 SSD today. The only thing I see is that you would be future proofing for a Directstorage access with the gen 4 SSD ( when ever Microsoft plans to implement it). My advice save on SSD, save on motherboard, upgrade in the future only after seeing a tangible difference loading speeds.

Question, which Gen 4 SSD have you got? Some of the lower tiered ones do not have a significant performance delta to justify going for Z590 just for PCE4. If I were you, I would find the drives performance comparison for gen3 vs 4 & if there is no significant difference, I'll suggest going with your initial plan.
I have a WD Black SN850.
And yeah I was considering the Intel only because I get a 8 core cpu and similar gaming performance for cheaper. Gamesncomps has Z590 boards listed for 23k so if that's the price then the cost will be similar. If it's any higher than that then I will be going for Ryzen only

I'm putting together a build slowly, will be purchasing parts over the next few months based on availability.
I have a Gen 4 SSD and I'm aware that Z490 motherboards do not support it. However my initial plan was for a 10700/10850 with a Z490 but now that I've got this SSD I'm thinking of going for the new gen instead.

So will there be any considerable difference in performance between
B550 + 5800x
Z590 + 10700k
Thge gap in productivity performance is massive in favor of AMD. Also the AMD system will consume half the power of the Intel system. Motherboards for AMD are also significantly cheaper. You pay more for the CPU, yes but the cost with the motherboard means both platforms are at parity.

I have a WD Black SN850.
And yeah I was considering the Intel only because I get a 8 core cpu and similar gaming performance for cheaper. Gamesncomps has Z590 boards listed for 23k so if that's the price then the cost will be similar. If it's any higher than that then I will be going for Ryzen only
What is your use case for this system? In most of the scenarios, going with 5600X + B550 would be your best bet. An i7 10700k is similar in gaming as well as productivity performance to a 5600X, maybe slightly better in productivity but not by much, look for comparisons for your workflows. Don't fall for the trap of 8 core vs 6 core as AMD has a significant productivity advantage per core & a 6 core is much closer in productivity to an intel 8 core. If productivity is your main focus than a 5800X makes sense but in that case 10700k is not even a contender.

I would say if gaming or gaming + productivity is your focus, go with a 5600x + b550. If productivity is the major focus area, go with a 5800X + B550. At the higher price bracket intel really doesn't make any sense, it is only good alternative at lower price segments due to the lack of 3rd gen Ryzen parts below 5600x.

For gaming your experience will not very more than a couple of seconds. Be it a sata SSD or a gen 4 SSD today. The only thing I see is that you would be future proofing for a Directstorage access with the gen 4 SSD ( when ever Microsoft plans to implement it). My advice save on SSD, save on motherboard, upgrade in the future only after seeing a tangible difference loading speeds.
I have purchased the SSD already that's why I'm in a crossroads on what to do again

What is your use case for this system? In most of the scenarios, going with 5600X + B550 would be your best bet. An i7 10700k is similar in gaming as well as productivity performance to a 5600X, maybe slightly better in productivity but not by much, look for comparisons for your workflows. Don't fall for the trap of 8 core vs 6 core as AMD has a significant productivity advantage per core & a 6 core is much closer in productivity to an intel 8 core. If productivity is your main focus than a 5800X makes sense but in that case 10700k is not even a contender.

I would say if gaming or gaming + productivity is your focus, go with a 5600x + b550. If productivity is the major focus area, go with a 5800X + B550. At the higher price bracket intel really doesn't make any sense, it is only good alternative at lower price segments due to the lack of 3rd gen Ryzen parts below 5600x.
It's mostly just gaming, maybe a bit of editing too that's why was considering the 8 core.
I guess I'll mostly just be going with a 5600x/5800x then, depending on the budget. Thanks for the help guys

It might be possible this is the last AM4 generation, so go with the one which gives most performance (in this case its AMD). Dont bother about future upgradability, if it is possible then thats a plus.
There are some AM4 boards with thunderbolt 3 support, id look into that too.

It might be possible this is the last AM4 generation, so go with the one which gives most performance (in this case its AMD). Dont bother about future upgradability, if it is possible then thats a plus.
There are some AM4 boards with thunderbolt 3 support, id look into that too.
You are right, this is the last of AM4. Next would be DDR5 and AM5 by the end of this year I suppose if everything goes according to schedule but I would not suggest to buy it unless you like early adopting new stuff. DDR5 might be unstable and priced high initially and new platform might takes 6-10 months to stabilize with BIOS updates first.

What did you end up buying, in the marked for similar system.
Confused as hell between intel 10-11th gen, ryzen 5000 and the enigma i.e Intel 12th gen !

What did you end up buying, in the marked for similar system.
Confused as hell between intel 10-11th gen, ryzen 5000 and the enigma i.e Intel 12th gen !
I was in exact same dilemma and wen with ryzen 5xxx. Literally got steal deals and perfect for my type of usage..

The best bet @ this point of time is 5600x+asus B550-F-STRIX, coz the prize has come down, and the DDR4 Ram price as well, it could withstand next 3 years, Until DDR5 Rules the roast, Its a steal, also in a Years time AM5 will get released and that will impact the price on 5xxx, So in a years time, 5900x price will also come down which will prove a great upgrade withstanding next 2023-2024 with flying colours, by then u will be ready for DDR5 based system upgrade. 5600x consumes only 65watts and its brothers may need more than 125watts, and the competitors are hitting 300ws.

So By far 5600x is a beauty until u get upgraded with 5900x in a years time, or u could time-jump straightaway to 2024 DDR5 based systems.

Intel 11400f is also a good option specially at the current price point ~ 13k. Pair it up with a B560 mobo & you got a solid gaming platform with PCIE 4 & all. Do check that out as well.

Back