Storage Solutions BACKUP MOVIES ON DVD : HELP

Hi guys I have approx 700 Hollywood Movies in various format like avi, mp4 etc. I want to Backup my all movies in single layer DVD's (4.7 GB).

Please give me some best of the best answers ?

1. DVD Write Software?

2. Movies Write Speed on a Single Layer DVD.

3. Writing Speed for write a Movie DVD.

4. What is Mode1 or Mode 2 / XA Format in Magic ISO.

Please Suggest me best Answers.

1) Imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/ / CDBurnerXP http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

2) 8X or 16X, depending on the DVD write speed.

3) I assume you're writing a DATA disc, not a DVD-Video, regardless, burn speed should not matter unless you have a very old player.

4) Use the default settings - Should be ISO 9660/Joliet . If any files are larger than 2GB, you'll need to use the UDF format instead of ISO.

Same was my thoughts some time ago

but then i thought you can get movies from any source - download them, take it from a friend, etc etc

if you dont agree with above options > you have around 700 hollywood movies > lets assume each movie is of 700mb min = 700 x 700mb = 490000mb / 4.7gb = 102 DVD's

Lets take 1 dvd cost to be around 20 = 102 x 20 = 2040

So my suggestion would be to buy a portable hard disk - you can use it for any use with the backup remaining there itself - or when you want to add some important data you can delete those movies and add them again later

this is my thought because i had burned many dvd's earlier and now they are all with the BHANGAARWALA

Same was my thoughts some time ago

but then i thought you can get movies from any source - download them, take it from a friend, etc etc

if you dont agree with above options > you have around 700 hollywood movies > lets assume each movie is of 700mb min = 700 x 700mb = 490000mb / 4.7gb = 102 DVD's

Lets take 1 dvd cost to be around 20 = 102 x 20 = 2040

So my suggestion would be to buy a portable hard disk - you can use it for any use with the backup remaining there itself - or when you want to add some important data you can delete those movies and add them again later

this is my thought because i had burned many dvd's earlier and now they are all with the BHANGAARWALA

Actually I got National DVD @ Cost Rs. 12 / DVD x 102 DVD = Rs. 1224

These days HD are already too Costly, one year back 500 GB Cost is Rs. 1700 but Now days Its up to Rs. 4000 something...

what the best with less failure rate external hdd with price pls.

min requirement 500 GB.

dvd's are not reliable for backup. while burning the disc, if you burn it at too fast speed, you will end up with lots of unreadable discs later. even burning at normal 8x is unreliable even on good media. i found out some discs of mine wont read on any machine even when i had written them at 8x on good verbatim singapore media.

they used to play previously fine on my machine while testing them. good thing i had backups of them on hdd.

all the cheap discs are good for 4-5 reads. after few months, they become unreadable even if you keep them in closed box without touching them.

Two weeks ago I get National DVD @9 x100
happy55.gif

But funny fact is while burning 16DVD's i got 8Faulty after write and 8 get backup

#[member='lucky_chouhan'], mate better get a portable HDD, and use that for backup.

DVDs are not much reliable, and taking backup of all these GBs will take much time, and energy, instead get a HDD, and use that for backup.

I have done that 2-3 years back, i have even kept the DVDs in their best condition, and also applied a plastic label on the non-writable side for protection, even then the datas are now corrupt. While copying the video, i get CRC error.

Now i use 1TB hdd (internal), for all backup purpose, its better and safe
<

#[member='lucky_chouhan'] Assuming you got all those 700 movies from 'benevolent' sources which only require your 'seeds' and not your money, I find it amusing you don't intend to spend on an external HDD. Also, I believe prices have come back to where they were before the floods in thailand.

#[member='lucky_chouhan'] Assuming you got all those 700 movies from 'benevolent' sources which only require your 'seeds' and not your money, I find it amusing you don't intend to spend on an external HDD. Also, I believe prices have come back to where they were before the floods in thailand.

Actually prices are what they were in 2009-10. in 2010 i got 1TB hdd for 5.5k. Today, i bought 1TB hdd for 5.3k. In 2011 between March - Jul, 2TB green hdd's were selling at 4.1K on ebay and around 3.9k here on TE.

dvd's are not reliable for backup. while burning the disc, if you burn it at too fast speed, you will end up with lots of unreadable discs later. even burning at normal 8x is unreliable even on good media. i found out some discs of mine wont read on any machine even when i had written them at 8x on good verbatim singapore media.

they used to play previously fine on my machine while testing them. good thing i had backups of them on hdd.

all the cheap discs are good for 4-5 reads. after few months, they become unreadable even if you keep them in closed box without touching them.

that i would have to say might be some problem either with the dvds or the optical drive.. because, i use either moserbaer or sony dvds, and i have burnt dvds at max speed of the relative optical drive, filled with about 4.3 gb of data on each, and they are still perfectly fine even after about 4 to 5 yrs..

Exactly!!!!even i had backup movies in national dvd some 2 years back even i though i didnt use them most of them are unreadable

@people using national dvds.. national is not a good brand for dvds. its just cheaper thats all.. if anyone wants good quality at cheaper prices, go for moserbaer.. best option in its price segment.. if you're ready to pay a small premium, buy the sony dvds.

For me moser baer pro have been great ....some of those DVD's even after 3 yrs of being dumped in the attic and full of tea stains,scratches ....they still work great after all this abuse
scared14.gif

^^^ exactly.... the main component that matters is the quality of the film on the dvds or cds and their reflectivity.. this is something offered best by moserbaer and sony dvds and cds at competitive prices.. .theres no point buying brands like national, alpha, writex etc etc..

#lucky_chouhan

1) ImgBurn

2) 4x or 8x

i used to do the same thing when i was managing only with my 40GB HDD. wrote about 80-100 DVDs Moserbaer pro 4-5 years ago and most of them still work fine.

But the problem is, when you have 100+ DVDs its too difficult to store and locate a certain movie. Also burning and even reading when you need it takes too much time, also the probability that the one you need will go bad. (Not to mention friends and colleagues will take some and not return when they get to know of your big collection).

So i got a 500GB HDD and started storing on that. The problem with that is if and when it fails (and mine did twice!) it takes ALL your collection with it.

Then i realised most popular movies can be found easily. Now only the few rare old classic movies or TV series are burned on DVD as extra backup. This is what i have been following for some time now.

EDIT: Also a little problem with the math. Even though a DVD is 4.7GB it will fit only 6 700MB files so only 4.2GB / DVD is used. So you need 490GB/4.2GB = 116 DVDs. and this number will only grow larger.

BTW how are you going to manage all these datas, like looking for a particular movie from 100 DVDs will be a PITA

#[member='lucky_chouhan']

1) ImgBurn

2) 4x or 8x

i used to do the same thing when i was managing only with my 40GB HDD. wrote about 80-100 DVDs Moserbaer pro 4-5 years ago and most of them still work fine.

But the problem is, when you have 100+ DVDs its too difficult to store and locate a certain movie. Also burning and even reading when you need it takes too much time, also the probability that the one you need will go bad. (Not to mention friends and colleagues will take some and not return when they get to know of your big collection).

So i got a 500GB HDD and started storing on that. The problem with that is if and when it fails (and mine did twice!) it takes ALL your collection with it.

Then i realised most popular movies can be found easily. Now only the few rare old classic movies or TV series are burned on DVD as extra backup. This is what i have been following for some time now.

EDIT: Also a little problem with the math. Even though a DVD is 4.7GB it will fit only 6 700MB files so only 4.2GB / DVD is used. So you need 490GB/4.2GB = 116 DVDs. and this number will only grow larger.

you can use 4.7 gb if its written 4.7 on the disc. upto 4.5 gb is the safe option... 4.7 can be used with a software that supports overburning.. but it should only be done when required. the safest option is to burn till 4.3 gb. 4.5 gb is fine, and in 4.7 gb the burning will be done almost upto the last millimeter from the outside of the disc..

Back