Storage Solutions BACKUP MOVIES ON DVD : HELP

I would advice you to stay away from overburning, considering these are backup media. Also some optical drives, can't read properly from overburnt disc

^^^ yep me too.. .just saying that it is an option incase the extra space is desperately required and you dont want to waste another disc just for a couple of 100 mbs..

you can use 4.7 gb if its written 4.7 on the disc. upto 4.5 gb is the safe option... 4.7 can be used with a software that supports overburning.. but it should only be done when required. the safest option is to burn till 4.3 gb. 4.5 gb is fine, and in 4.7 gb the burning will be done almost upto the last millimeter from the outside of the disc..

Yes, i DVD can fit 4.7 GB. But most movie files are 700mb so 6x700mb = 4200mb. You have ~400mb left but you cant put half a movie there!

But leaving a bit of empty space is good as the edge of the disc wont have any data which is most prone to scratches etc.

As part of work, I typically need to backup 12-16GB of video content a week. I've been doing this for the past 4 years or so. 95% of this has been backed up on Moserbaer's Platinum DVD-Rs and the rest on Moserbaer's regular DVD-Rs. I burn at the slowest possible speed (4X on one drive and 2X on another one).

Of the hundreds and hundreds of DVDs I've written, I must have had to access about 90-95 over the last 3 years. I don't think there has been a failure rate of more than 1 or maybe 2 DVDs (out of the ones I've accessed).

Back