Bad customer support from Dell (non-responsive)

TheIndian

Skilled
I used to be a huge fan of Dell service, but a recent (just last week) episode has put me off them totally.

I ordered a XPS 12" i7 4th Gen and it was delivered in an unsealed condition, twice I refused delivery, and then they wrote a mail to me to accept it as it was opened only because of Octroi check.

Received it, opened it, and guess what, not working out of the Box, the wifi was screwed, worked only if you stood a couple of feet from the router, I called dell 15 hrs later from time of receipt, and was informed as per their policy, I will get a replacement after 20+ working days, (which I guess means a month) This is for a product defective out of the box.

Even if I go for a refund, 20+ working days.

If I had my way, return it never buy another dell product, but my daughter has fallen in love with it and Now the thing is I need this URGENTLY - anyone here who can help me? I am willing to pay for new one (costs about 1.10) and process the refund separately

It seems such a waste designing such beautiful hardware and then giving such abysmal A.S.S. Some of the policies regarding repair and returns are ridiculous. I wonder why aren't any regulatory bodies that look into these policies.
This is one of the reasons I chose the MacBook Air over the Sony Vaio Pro and Dell XPS 12. I am running pure windows on it and it is also the best bang for buck if you don't need a convertible. Even in windows all the gestures work very well which means you won't miss the touchscreen. And it just cost me 79k for the 256GB version. Plus the warranty covers battery and charger as well for the whole warranty period. I am now considering getting the extended warranty for 13.5k for peace of mind for 3 years.

I too had the same issues with Lenovo, took 2 months to get the refund. Sony had other issues, and they took 2 months to replace also.

With Lenovo had the same WiFi issue and the a***holes wanted to open the laptop to repair a one day old machine :mad: They gave me an option of repair or refund.

Sony too wanted to do the same and were not ready for a refund, but I put my foot down and they go me a new piece after loads of haggling. Would suggest to avoid sony.

It seems such a waste designing such beautiful hardware and then giving such abysmal A.S.S. Some of the policies regarding repair and returns are ridiculous. I wonder why aren't any regulatory bodies that look into these policies.
This is one of the reasons I chose the MacBook Air over the Sony Vaio Pro and Dell XPS 12. I am running pure windows on it and it is also the best bang for buck if you don't need a convertible. Even in windows all the gestures work very well which means you won't miss the touchscreen. And it just cost me 79k for the 256GB version. Plus the warranty covers battery and charger as well for the whole warranty period. I am now considering getting the extended warranty for 13.5k for peace of mind for 3 years.
Because of the Huge budget, I was willing to go Mac even though I am not a Mac fan, but my daughter just seems to be stuck on no, can't understand why. she did not need the touch or anything, but once she used it (for a couple of hours) she just wanted it, I am still trying to convince her for Mac, any ideas what could push the sale ?

I too had the same issues with Lenovo, took 2 months to get the refund. Sony had other issues, and they took 2 months to replace also.

With Lenovo had the same WiFi issue and the a***holes wanted to open the laptop to repair a one day old machine :mad: They gave me an option of repair or refund.

Sony too wanted to do the same and were not ready for a refund, but I put my foot down and they go me a new piece after loads of haggling. Would suggest to avoid sony.
Dell used to be much better, in fact one of their recent instances, (about a month back) a friend received a parcel said to contain a Laptop, (15z), on opening it was with a couple of old t shirts and some stones, they gave a new one in 3 days. I should have f***ing said, I got the same. In the past I have had them replace laptop within 2 days, without even collecting the old one.

Dell used to be much better, in fact one of their recent instances, (about a month back) a friend received a parcel said to contain a Laptop, (15z), on opening it was with a couple of old t shirts and some stones, they gave a new one in 3 days. I should have ****ing said, I got the same.

Damn - that's scary.

Because of the Huge budget, I was willing to go Mac even though I am not a Mac fan, but my daughter just seems to be stuck on no, can't understand why. she did not need the touch or anything, but once she used it (for a couple of hours) she just wanted it, I am still trying to convince her for Mac, any ideas what could push the sale ?

Has she tried the Macbook Air. Let her go and experience it once and she will definitely fall in love. If she is not a heavy user, she might even just stick to MacOS. For daily tasks, MacOS is more than enough and the gestures are just god-sent. I can't browse the normal way anymore and I have only had it for less than a week. I could have stuck with Mac OS but I am too used to using certain programs that I couldn't find a suitable alternative for. Also the battery life is just awesome. It is like having a tablet. In sleep mode it hardly loses 1-2%. You can get the 128GB version for just 64k and the 256GB for 78.2k by using a student discount of 12% according to the ongoing offer. Currently, IMO, it is the most VFM ultraportable in the market and I didn't think I would ever say that for an Apple product.

Dell outsourced its service to Wipro right?

Yes it has been a while now.

Their service used to be a lot better in the past but instances such as these are really worrisome and makes you think twice before recommending a Dell to a friend or a relative who's relatively unknown about the hardware scene in the market. Another member titana had faced an issue with the replacement of an XPS and he had to go through a similar ordeal.

... I am still trying to convince her for Mac, any ideas what could push the sale ?

Let her Demo it at leisure at any MacStore - She will love it.

What happens if Dell bullshits again .....

IMHO - for any such device - ALWAYS BUY IT FROM A STORE - Where after payment is made, you can check the device thoroughly in front of their bloody eyes & if there is any problem then FLATLY REFUSE TO COLLECT THE SAME DEVICE. You also need to put down this 'condition' before making payment.

hmm that was the worst experiment, since 2009 i order a laptop dell xps via online and it has been 1 month delay they did not courier to my friend place, using bluedart
and we blast dell over the phone to shipment delay and the laptop need to ship it very urgent cause he is leaving usa this day and suddenly the dell ship the package at 4 pm this day where he is leaving usa early 11 pm and then i rush to his house and copy the quick games and software which it take more than 6-8 hour and too much pain, and final he left to usa, and the tensed was over due to worst dell after sale not ship the laptop a month delay.... so i am doing to avoid dell in the future the service is drop down due to poor A.S.S

Let her Demo it at leisure at any MacStore - She will love it.

What happens if Dell bullshits again .....

IMHO - for any such device - ALWAYS BUY IT FROM A STORE - Where after payment is made, you can check the device thoroughly in front of their bloody eyes & if there is any problem then FLATLY REFUSE TO COLLECT THE SAME DEVICE. You also need to put down this 'condition' before making payment.
Problem is more often then not these high end lappys are not in stock in the stores, even FK is carrying only the 3rd gen proccys. My past eperience with dell had suggested replacement would be nothing ( I had a customised notebook replaced in 3 days about 4 yrs back).

Absolutely no clue what if Dell bull shits again, return the piece I guess. or just for the joy of it, file a case. Wont be too much trouble.

For some reason she is absolutely refusing Mac .. but I have tld she will have to come to a mac store and see it and then we will do whatever she wants.

Another dell poor service thread..i had recent issues with them, replacement took 2 months after numerous emails & phone calls. Dell India is not what it used to be. send email to them for records. phone talk is useless they will just say anything. I received a replacement laptop but coz of poor services was reluctant to see it as a long term option for me. Out of circumstances i extended the warranty, but am pretty sure if some issue crops up it will be another ordeal.
best of luck..

Hi,

I am Shuchi from the Dell Social Media outreach team.

I really apologise for the experience you had, we will definitely help you with this issue.

Please share your contact number so that we can assist you further with this issue.

(You can now follow us on you tube for online video support http://dell.to/13ijS47)

We would recommend you do not post your private information on a public forum.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Shuchi_S

Dell Social Media Responder

Hi,

I really apologise for the experience you had, we will definitely help you with this issue.

Please share your contact number so that we can assist you further with this issue.

(You can now follow us on you tube for online video support http://dell.to/13ijS47)

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Shuchi_S

I have messaged you my number, as I said, the urgency with which I need this lap top cannot be understated, right now I am ready to spend another 1.10 lacs to buy a new one so long as I get it before 15th, and to hell with the old one, will see about refund later. But that does not mean I love Dell so much , it just means I love my daughter enough to do anything and she needs it before 15th when she is leaving the country.

@nishthecooldude hold back on the likes till they actually do something about it, Lip service, I have got enough of that already

Hi,

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Shuchi_S

I am surprised to see a seemingly quick response from a reputed company to an aggrieved customer in India, which albeit, is again loaded with a condition (or a 'threat') on the hapless customer (as highlighted above).

Your apology issued earlier as a 'matter of courtesy' offsets everything else.

FYI - "TechEnclave" is one of India's oldest and largest IT forums which has thousands of free-thinking and liberal minded souls. Here technology of every sort is thoroughly discussed, analysed, ripped and torn-apart so that we seek the best solutions to serve our needs. You are living in the stone-ages if you think - an aggrieved customer/consumer cannot voice his honest opinion on a public forum !!!

If you care to spend some time - do prowl around TE's forums and check for yourself, apart from gaining a better knowledge on the Indian customer/end-user - you would also understand that there are scores of us who are fighting our battles against the totally callous and unconcerned attitude of companies who sell their products here in India and then 'do not bother one bit on service and accountability' - especially when the product is DOA or likewise.

I dare Dell (USA) to even defy, delay responding, refuse to replace or threaten a 'single' customer who would have faced a similar problem.

Please show us the same 'customer service' that is provided elsewhere around the world, and then see the miles you could go here in India.

Sd

Terence Fernandes

^^ completely agree with you bro and Outsourcing to Wipro has started to showing it's ill effect :D

@ OP - just put this on Dell's FB page and see what happens.

Dell has captive centres in India and the business has not been given to WIPRO. The onsite service is provided by Wipro like in US its World Wide Tech Services/Unisys etc.

Please show us the same 'customer service' that is provided elsewhere around the world, and then see the miles you could go here in India.

Sd

Terence Fernandes

There was a time, when their service in India was at par with their best around the world, and I without hesitation recommended Dell to the point of telling people don't even bother comparing prices, its worth every extra Rs you pay for it. But now it s**ks, is putting it mildly. Even the sales process. If someone is really interested to know more, they can get in touch and ask.[DOUBLEPOST=1378871045][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^ completely agree with you bro and Outsourcing to Wipro has started to showing it's ill effect :D

@ OP - just put this on Dell's FB page and see what happens.
Link to the FB page please

Back