Bad HDD

doors666

Disciple
I got a brand new seagate ironwolf 4tb NAS hdd from amazon here, seller is appario. I got delivery this tuesday and Its been plugged in for probably a couple of days, running ext4.

smart scan on gnome disks shows 4880 bad sector, but otherwise ok.

I have already lost some files. I had done rsync on a bunch of files from another hard disks, rearranged partitions on the other hard disks, and while doing rsync back to that, I get checksum errors on a bunch of files.

I will probably go into sea tools to do a full scan.

Whats the best course of action here. can i return it to amazon and ask for a new one. Or do I have to go the RMA with seagate route. I am afraid they might give me a refurbished disk.

Better is file return to Amazon as its barely not even a week. If they wont then file rma with seagate. Cant blame seller as hardrives today come with no assurance as per their condition be it brand new out of the shop. Hope you have registered your drive on Seagate's website for better support.

I had bought a 1TB WD RED from them in the month of May last year and it was DOA. I tested the drive on different systems, just didn't get detected at all. Chose to return it and Amazon refunded my money. No issues whatsoever.

Return Policy on this item
This item is non- returnable

Amazon stopped all returns on hdd's from some time back. Even i have a dead brand new seagate 1TB laptop hdd to be RMA'd. shitty Amazon policy. Their warehouse staff does not know how to properly wrap hdd's and the hdd's die in shipping. I'm never buying hdd's from Amazon again.

In fact fragile items should be avoided online. Its better to pay little extra to local shop and get piece of mind.

you are getting replacement for used hdd. i couldn't even use the hdd and the stupid people are not allowing return. wtf? seriously i'm thinking of deleting amazon account now if they do such pick and choose behaviour. best to shop offline. **** amazon.

Amazon stopped all returns on hdd's from some time back. Even i have a dead brand new seagate 1TB laptop hdd to be RMA'd. shitty Amazon policy. Their warehouse staff does not know how to properly wrap hdd's and the hdd's die in shipping. I'm never buying hdd's from Amazon again.

Darn it... too bad, good you posted this bit of info, will stay clear of buying drives off Amazon India from now on.

I thought Amazon's packaging is superior to other e-tailers, especially against Flipkart/Snapdeal/eBay.

I thought Amazon's packaging is superior to other e-tailers, especially against Flipkart/Snapdeal/eBay.
lol. i got the hdd in a plastic bag. bag didn't even have bubble wrap or anything. imagine a 4k hdd wrapped in anti-static bag and put in a plastic bag 3 times its size. nothing to stop it moving around and getting dinged by other boxes. it was in the middle of the bag when the courier guy was taking it out. :(

The seller must be from some scrapyard then. Only those guys can do this.

Nah,it was Amazon fulfilled and Amazon warehouse that shipped the hdd. It's not seller's fault. Even Amazon deleted my rating saying the hdd was fulfilled through amazon. Fulfilled through Amazon means the seller sends the stuff to Amazon warehouse in bulk and Amazon takes care of boxing it and shipping it. Naturally Amazon takes more money than if you were to directly ship the products yourself. (Source: i know a business person who sells on amazon)

Just look at the 1TB Seagate Barracuda laptop hdd reviews. Lots of people are complaining about getting defective hdd's from amazon and not being able to return them.
https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Lapto...qid=1517978807&sr=8-1&keywords=1TB+laptop+hdd

example of Amazon deleting 1 star reviews given to seller.
https://www.amazon.in/sp?_encoding=...derID=&seller=A1PIMRTQYVUNQO&tab=&vasStoreID=

Most of the sellers have negative ratings that were deleted by Amazon saying the items were Amazon fulfilled.

Back