Budget 0-20k Basic GPU to run Dual Monitor setup.

cisco_tech

ex-Mod
I just upgraded my monitor to the Acer Nitro XV272U V3 27" 2560 x 1440. (2DP and 1 HDMI) Along with that, I am using an old HP 24W 1080p(1 HDMI and 1 VGA) screen in a dual-screen setup.
I don't do gaming at all. But I want to use the full potential of my new monitor. Basic usage is browsing and media consumption only.
I am open to used GPU as well. It would be great if the GPU is compitible with Hackitosh as well as I run dual boot with win10.
Budget is around 5K max.

Current Spec.
1711465769354.png

Something like a used Gtx 1650 should be enough for this. With one HDMI 2.0 and One DP 1.4a this gpu can fit your use case well. But for Hackintosh Radeon is the only way (Rx 580).

Apart from that can you access the service menu to check the panel on that Acer monitor?
The button combination is readily available on search, just open it and take a pic and exit.

Yes. RX580 is on my mind but it is sightly over my budget though.
Tried to access the service menu couple of times. but it is tricky.
is this the one ?

Yes. RX580 is on my mind but it is sightly over my budget though.
Tried to access the service menu couple of times. but it is tricky.
is this the one ?
No, it's this one:

Can try here if it isn't sold yet!!

What is your system configuration? Most iGPUs support dual monitors AFAIK, have been for sometime now. Unless your PC is almost a decade old, you should get 1440p 120Hz on your monitor with the right cable (HDMI 2.0). Honestly, beyond 120Hz you don't see the difference or improvement easily.

I use my Asus 1440p 170Hz monitor at 120Hz with my office laptop along with my 1080p 165Hz monitor. 120Hz is more than enough for me for office work & my office laptop lacks a dGPU, so both monitors are running off the iGPU.

What is your system configuration? Most iGPUs support dual monitors AFAIK, have been for sometime now. Unless your PC is almost a decade old, you should get 1440p 120Hz on your monitor with the right cable (HDMI 2.0). Honestly, beyond 120Hz you don't see the difference or improvement easily.

I use my Asus 1440p 170Hz monitor at 120Hz with my office laptop along with my 1080p 165Hz monitor. 120Hz is more than enough for me for office work & my office laptop lacks a dGPU, so both monitors are running off the iGPU.
I posted the spec. in OP.
upon looking up at the gigabyte web. my onboard graphics supports following output.

Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel® HD Graphics support
  1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
  4. Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
  5. Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB
I will try to hook up both display on iGPU today and see how it goes.

Check for rx 570 locally or on olx or these used marketplace. I wud say try to get it sooner if possible as crypto us again booming and prices may hike up again like last time

I posted the spec. in OP.
upon looking up at the gigabyte web. my onboard graphics supports following output.

Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel® HD Graphics support
  1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60 Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4 version.
  4. Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
  5. Maximum shared memory of 1024 MB
I will try to hook up both display on iGPU today and see how it goes.
Sorry I was not clear nor did I read everything. Just check your mobo, you likely have 2 types of display output ports, maybe HDMI & VGA.

Based on the above info, HDMI will allow 1440p 60Hz. So yes, an ext GPU will be needed, any used cheap one with HDMI 2.0 will suffice for 1440p 120Hz.

Mine got delivered yesterday. First impression very strong stand and ergonomics. No dead/stuck pixel. Coming to cons looks like too much bleed.
I've ThinkPad with 2k monitor and colors looks like more warm than ThinkPad monitor however black is somewhat washed. Any suggestions based on my captured photo...

Attachments

• 20240329_011800.jpg
    20240329_011800.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240329_011551.jpg
    20240329_011551.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240329_011540.jpg
    20240329_011540.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 34
Any suggestions based on my captured photo..
I see more of the IPS glow than bleed. As for the colors, just need to adjust the white point a bit. Take a white sheet in hand and in natural lighting (windows open or in neutral light (6500k)) adjust the RGB values to match the sheet and if possible a bit warm tone is good for the eyes. If you received a calibration report then the standard profile/mode should clamp to sRGB with neutral white.

Thanks, so glow is strong. It's nothing to be worried about right?
I can adjust with warm color or tone. Only thing remains is blacks are bright and grey, there is a constant glare on the screen.
So do you think replacement worth the effort.
@cisco_tech Mine panel is same as yours however RGB values are somewhat different. How's black in your monitor.

Only thing remains is blacks are bright and grey, there is a constant glare on the screen.
Play with brightness and constrast to get it to an comfortable viewing level. Reduce the black boost (default is 5). See if the gamma is set to 2.2, also check if 2.4 is better.
The different values of rgb is attributed to the particular panel calibration and it's different for every unit. I believe this machine is used to set the values XD.

As for the glow see if it appears to shift when you see from right and left side (at an angle). If it changes then its definitely glow.

Given replacement option is only through Acer, it'll take effort from your end to make them replace it.

(I won't recommend this method if you don't know what you're doing.
I bought LG monitor to be used vertically couple of months back and I noticed some bleed. I took the softest cloth available (those 800gsm ones), and very gently wiped it to an edge which would be in downward position. Some bleed in that position is good for me XD. Using it ever since...)

Last edited:
Check for rx 570 locally or on olx or these used marketplace. I wud say try to get it sooner if possible as crypto us again booming and prices may hike up again like last time
Didn't BTC/ETC change their algorithm to make it not much profitable for gpu to mine them?

Mine got delivered yesterday. First impression very strong stand and ergonomics. No dead/stuck pixel. Coming to cons looks like too much bleed.
I've ThinkPad with 2k monitor and colors looks like more warm than ThinkPad monitor however black is somewhat washed. Any suggestions based on my captured photo...
That's not bleed. It's IPS glow.

Thanks, so glow is strong. It's nothing to be worried about right?
I can adjust with warm color or tone. Only thing remains is blacks are bright and grey, there is a constant glare on the screen.
So do you think replacement worth the effort.
@cisco_tech Mine panel is same as yours however RGB values are somewhat different. How's black in your monitor.
Indeed, black has a hint of grey. It's much better now that I dropped the black level to 2, also set the gamma to 2.4. As @Alucard1729 mentioned I fiddled with the settings for half an hour until I was satisfied and saved them to my profile.

Back to the main topic. I am running both the monitors now via IGPU(Intel HD Graphics 530). Acer with HDMI and HP with VGA. however HDMI output is imited to 1080p only. Changed the cable as well but no luck.

I fiddled with the settings for half an hour until I was satisfied and saved them to my profile.
Just as extra precaution, save those settings screenshot/values in pic/text form too because have seen those saved profiles getting lost some times.
It doesn't matter, it can run other algos and are still quite efficient on those new algos.
I believe the last gpu price rise was mainly due to BTC/ETH, the two major & most popular crypto & those are not going to be profitable enough by mining via gpu now.

Back