Budget 0-20k basic Home pc build for the kids

Last edited:
Re: NUC, Once you factor in the storage and memory, the price fast approaches a standard PC, making it quite hard to justify the relatively huge performance and expansion delta. The value just doesn't add up unless the SFF is a priority.

Something between a NUC and a Raspberry Pi might be a better fit if performance is not a consideration. Something like this, perhaps :- https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/asus-vivostick-ts10-windows-10-portable-pc/

That is true..

And this Vivo Stick thing looks freaking amazing.

But I have decided to go for a decent upgrade.. as long as I am spending, might as well upgrade my 6-7 year old machine..and use that old machine for the classes.

Is there any decent horizontal mid-size cabinet? need not be full tower..

Whatever happened to Antec, Silverstone, Lian Li HTPC cases... ?! Heck, even Zebronics made one earlier..

I need something that can fit in a cabinet that has 6" of height.

But I have decided to go for a decent upgrade.. as long as I am spending, might as well upgrade my 6-7 year old machine..and use that old machine for the classes.
What's your budget in that case ? Where does your usage stand ?

Is there any decent horizontal mid-size cabinet? need not be full tower..

Whatever happened to Antec, Silverstone, Lian Li HTPC cases... ?! Heck, even Zebronics made one earlier..

I need something that can fit in a cabinet that has 6" of height.

Let me introduce you to Silverstone SG13
I had this one before I moved to my current cabinet. It takes ITX mobos though. But it is great cabinet at 11.5L volume I would say; can take 3.5" HDD as well.

ok, lemme update what i have done so far.. i moved my 6 yr old htpc, got a dell monitor and a webcam. The kids are good to go.

And this is what I have decided to build FOR ME: https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxecrt-retrieve-cart=161831
both cpu have UHD630good enough for me. which one will be better?

MOBO ; 5-6K (need help)

ssd ; WD Blue SN550 250GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD WDS250G2B0C

case & psu ; need help..

would notlike tospend more thn 5k on both. so need some options given th cabinet height constrain of 6"

^ could you help me with a good mobo recommendation..?

also then what SSD will likely be the best bang for money? I dont need quantity (for me anything > 120Gb+ is ok), but the better quality/speed is the one I would like to get .. For reference, I am currently using a Samsung Evo 840 120 Gb.

Unfortunately, I haven't been tracking much on the Mobo/Chipset scene..

^ could you help me with a good mobo recommendation..?

also then what SSD will likely be the best bang for money? I dont need quantity (for me anything > 120Gb+ is ok), but the better quality/speed is the one I would like to get .. For reference, I am currently using a Samsung Evo 840 120 Gb.

Unfortunately, I haven't been tracking much on the Mobo/Chipset scene..

Crucial BX500 as I recommended already.
Gigabyte has the cheapest B460 motherboards atm, others will cost you 10k at least.

What's your budget in that case ? Where does your usage stand ?

Let me introduce you to Silverstone SG13
I had this one before I moved to my current cabinet. It takes ITX mobos though. But it is great cabinet at 11.5L volume I would say; can take 3.5" HDD as well.
He will likely have to spend a lot more on an ITX motherboard.

ok, lemme update what i have done so far.. i moved my 6 yr old htpc, got a dell monitor and a webcam. The kids are good to go.

And this is what I have decided to build FOR ME: https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxecrt-retrieve-cart=161831
both cpu have UHD630good enough for me. which one will be better?

MOBO ; 5-6K (need help)

ssd ; WD Blue SN550 250GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD WDS250G2B0C

case & psu ; need help..

would notlike tospend more thn 5k on both. so need some options given th cabinet height constrain of 6"

I don't understand the reasoning behind these choices. Why do you want to choose overpriced parts made on an inferior process node? Not only are the CPUs more expensive, you will likely pay more for the motherboards as well. Pick a standard m.2/SATA SSD. I'm pretty sure I shared a build for you to consider. Share your thoughts on it and update us if your budget has changed.

That's fine.. Do you have any recommendation for the mobo?
It doesn't work like this. Finalize your cabinet/form-factor, budget and use-case first.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reasoning behind these choices. Why do you want to choose overpriced parts made on an inferior process node? Not only are the CPUs more expensive, you will likely pay more for the motherboards as well.

This.
If your budget has increased go for the 3400G instead of the 3200G or you could wait to see what newer Zen cpu's offer.

well if you want to make the most of your money then its better to go for slightly used components with less than 6 to 8 month of age and with at least 2 years of warranty left , specially motherboard and processor rest of the components you can buy new , but yes if you are getting a decent config which meets your kids demand then go for new one

Back