Budget 0-20k Basic Office Computer. No Need for UPS and Speakers

laugh

Disciple
Hi TE,
I am looking to buy a basic office computer for less than 20k. All I need is steady perfomance, onsite service and reasonably future proof. I am not looking at mind blogging performance, looks and extras.

Please suggest all compoenents including mouse and keyboard. I don't need speakers and UPS. Template filled below!

Q: What is your budget?
20k Budget. Office Computer

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Not Applicable

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Not Applicable

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD Sempron 145
Motherboard - Asus MotherBoard - M5A78L-M LX

Monitor dell IN2030
Dell TFT IN2030 Glossy Sleek 20" Monitor

GPU

I am not sure if I need it. I am not going to use it for games or heavy work. It is a regular office PC

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months

I may add a second monitor.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai, open to online purchase.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Browsing
Desktop Processing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
I need onsite service, no preferences on particular.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Dangerous dave, does that count:)

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Nothing in particular.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows XP

@laugh this is what I suggest --

Intel Pentium G620 ~3500/-
ASUS P8H61-M LX ~3500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1300/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB OR 500GB ~3000/- OR 4000/-
HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/-
Corsair CX V2430W ~2500/-
local cabinet without the SMPS ~1000/-
LOGITECH K100 combo ~450/- [keyboard + mouse]
DELL IN2030M ~6500/-

For adding a secondary display down the line you can add a basic VGA adapter.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of getting 250GB for 3k it's better to get 500GB for 3.8k as OP would get double space by adding few bucks.
laugh this is what I suggest --

ASUS P8H61-M LX ~3500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1300/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB ~3000/-
HP [boxed] optical drive ~1000/-
LOGITECH K100 combo ~450/- [keyboard + mouse]
DELL IN2030M ~6500/-

For adding a secondary display down the line you can add a basic VGA adapter.

I don't even need 250GB:) If you know someone selling smaller capacity harddisks I am all ears!

Why don't you go though the Member's market and get a second-hand refurbished [RMA'ed] hard-drive which has a years warranty.

This way you can buy a hard-drive with ~2500/- and get a decent capacity as well. The other option has been spelled out too but I feel that a 160GB hard-drive will be very poor value-for money in your scenario.

Why don't you go though the Member's market and get a second-hand refurbished [RMA'ed] hard-drive which has a years warranty.

This way you can buy a hard-drive with ~2500/- and get a decent capacity as well. The other option has been spelled out too but I feel that a 160GB hard-drive will be very poor value-for money in your scenario.

I will prefer hardrives with 3 years warranty like this

WD Caviar Blue 250 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD2500AAKX) | Internal Hard Drive | Flipkart.com

Can you please answer my question regarding your choice of Processor,motherboard and Power Supply.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Less than this you can get 160GB but you should at least get 250GB as 160GB will be too small.

At any given time they don't store more than 20GB of Data. I am having 80GB HDD in my present systems!

WD Caviar Blue 250 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD2500AAKX) | Internal Hard Drive | Flipkart.com

Can you please answer my question regarding your choice of Processor,motherboard and Power Supply.

Unfortunately after the floods and inflation in hard-drive prices the companies have slashed their warranties -->

Western Digital -- Has slashed internal hard-drive warranty from 3 years to 2 years. External drives carry a 3 year warranty.
Seagate -- Has slashed warranties on all internal drives to 1 year. External drives carry a warranty of ~3 years, down from 5 years.

So you will get a very curtailed warranty period as is. Also I prefer Seagate over Western Digital.

What queries do you have related to my choice of components, shoot and I will try to answer them to your satisfaction.

Wow, looks like harddisk prices are 2x of what they were a year ago.

You have suggested the below.
ASUS P8H61-M LX ~3500/-

Can I replace it with

CPU - AMD Sempron 145 2200
Motherboard - Asus MotherBoard - M5A78L-M LX 2700

I will save 2000 this way, cheaper means less features. Can you let me know what I will be loosing with the cheaper motherboard and processor. Currently my setup is a intel p4 4 ghz processor and it's working like a champ. (Atleast for my limited needs) Will the sempron 145 deliver the same performance as the p4 4ghz processor?

You have suggested

Can I replace it with

Cabinet Zebronics Kite with SMPS 1100 or similar

Do I need a dedicated power supply?

The only thing to keep in mind is that I may add a secondary display down the line.

Thanks again for your time, it's appreciated.

Cheers.

You have suggested the below.
ASUS P8H61-M LX ~3500/-

Do I need a dedicated power supply?

Well here are my views on the same --
  • even after being a dual-core processor the Intel processor is as efficient as the AMD single-core processor.
  • the AMD Sempron line of processors is officially EoL so no point investing in it.
  • Yes I suggest a branded SMPS because they are more efficient than the local Chinese stuff we have at our disposal, this alleged efficiency repays itself over the life-cycle of the product. Also you can add more peripherals and hard-drives without worrying about taxing the SMPS.

AMD Sempron LE-1300 bench run against the Pentium G620 --> AnandTech - Bench - CPU

These are my justifications, buying the actual components is upto you and I cannot force your hand there. Cheerio!!

Can I go ahead and buy this hard drive
Samsung 40 GB Desktop IDE Internal Hard Disk SP0411N - Buy Online in India for Rs.1,199 as on 24th July 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com

I will be using xp and need minimum harddisk space. The computer will be used for 8 hours at a stretch (Only one booting/shutdown per day)

I will buying 3 of these if you guys give the go ahead!

No laugh, these guys are robbing you in broad daylight.

Here is why --
  • these are IDE drives, have been out of serial production for quite some time;
  • SAMSUNG's hard-drive division has been bought over by Seagate;
  • Poor efficiency compared to SATA drives, even worse performance in the real-world.

No point investing in a dead end technology which has long gone EoL [c. 2008].

If you don't mind a smaller screen, you should go for a pentium dual-core laptop instead. They come for about Rs.20,000, consume less power, and will meet your computing requirements.
Plus, you'll get onsite service.
And if you're willing to pay for it, you can extend the warranty to 3 years.

Most laptops in that range would come with a 320GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 14 or 15.6inch screen, VGA/HDMi out (in case you want to add a second monitor).

If you don't mind a smaller screen, you should go for a pentium dual-core laptop instead. They come for about Rs.20,000, consume less power, and will meet your computing requirements.

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered all in one's it but avoided that because

1. Screen size is important.

2. I may add a second monitor in few months time.

3. Most had 1 year warranty and the ones which came with 3 year warranty were out of stock.

4. I also believe it will be difficult and expensive to repair laptops/all in ones.

1&2 - you can add a second monitor
3 - you can buy the additional warranty separately, which'll cover everything, including the hard drives.
4 - not difficult to repair, as you'll have on-site service, but if you don't extend the warranty, then it'll be expensive if something goes wrong with the motherboard or display.

@laugh I have used that monitor, it is good for your usage.

Delta prices are generally accurate and regularly updated, expect the hard-drive to retail for ~3000/- --> 3500/- in the open market.

@ch@ts won't the keyboard be the smaller variant, no NUMPAD.

ch@ts won't the keyboard be the smaller variant, no NUMPAD.

The keyboard will be slightly cramped, but it will come with a numpad.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I like the laptop (Pentium B940/950 based) option because it'll perform about the same as a similarly priced desktop, and consume less power.
@laugh you could get a dual-core Atom setup. It'll cost less than a single-core Sempron, and perform better.
It's listed for Rs.3850 (motherboard+processor) on deltapage.

laugh I have used that monitor, it is good for your usage.

Delta prices are generally accurate and regularly updated, expect the hard-drive to retail for ~3000/- --> 3500/- in the open market.

ch@ts won't the keyboard be the smaller variant, no NUMPAD.

Good to know. Will post the final configuration when I buy everything.

Will not forgot to bug you if I have doubts:)

Your help is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

you could get a dual-core Atom setup. It'll cost less than a single-core Sempron, and perform better.
It's listed for Rs.3850 (motherboard+processor) on deltapage.

Are you referring to this?
http://www.deltapage.com/products/Intel%C2%AE-Atom-Dual-Core-D2500HN-%28Board-%26-Processor%29%28Bulk-Pack%29.html

Now I am having more choices.:yahoo:

I don't see any combos for 3850. Also, it says bulk pack. I am wondering if there will be any problems if I have to claim warranty?

Back