Basic PC Config : 10-14k

Memento

Disciple
Hey Guys.

Well, my friends old pc died a few weeks back and he needs to buy a new one soon, preferably this month itself.

Q: What is your budget?

10 -14k (Can be pushed to 15k if it's really worth it otherwise closer to 10k the better.)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

KB/Mouse -

Monitor - 19 inch

Speakers

PSU - A recently purchased 450 rupee intex psu. Unless a better FSP/Corsair PSU is required.

Hdd- IDE HDD

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the

(component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Amd or Intel. Whichever is the best value at this price point.

Intel Core2duo or its AMD equivalent.

Motherboard - Should have an IDE port for my old Hard drive. (Since new Hdd prices have skyrocketed)

GPU - Onboard?

RAM - 4gb is required. Should I go for 1 stick or 2 sticks of 2gb?

Case -

Dvd writer

Spikeguard- Belkin or any other quality brand

PSU- Unless the recently purchased 450rupee intex psu will suffice

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and

which component

Final if possible

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai / Online retailer depening on the deal.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Browsing- Youtube

Desktop Processing

Occasional Movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

None

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

- It's a 19 inch lcd monitor.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows (XP or Win7) and Linux (Fedora 16 or Ubuntu). Dual boot is a must.

Note: As mentioned earlier the Motherboard should have an IDE port for my old HDD.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AMD Athlon X2 260 ~ 3K

GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 ~ 2.5K

Gskill value ram 4gb or 2x2gb 1333mhz ~ 1.2K

Belkin 4 socket surge protector ~ 0.4K

Existing PSU will be fine...

Theitwares.com or Primeabgb.com

Thanks.

I received the following rates.

THEITWARES

AMD Athlon II X2 260 + ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3 - 5750/-

AMD Athlon II X4 645 + ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3 - 7300/-

Intel Core i3 2100 + Intel Original Mobo with IDE port - 13500/-

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333 - 1175/-

Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333 - 1100/-

Zebronics Cabinet with 400 W Normal Power Supply - 900/-

PRIMEABGB

AMD Athlon II X2 260 = 3300/-

AMD Athlon II X4 645 = 5000/-

AMD Athlon II X4 630 = NA

AMD Athlon II X4 635 = NA

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P = 2700/-

ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3 = 2500/-

Intel core i32100 + asus p8H67M = 13600/-

Gskill 4gbddr3 1333 = 1200/-& Corsair 4gb ddr3 1600 = 1600/-

Cabinet case for less than Circle 623 Rs.1000/-

Athlon Ii x2 250/240 or x4 620/635 not available.

Since I intend to use the IDE port for my old HDD, I need a mobo with IDE port.

Some more questions.

Both, theitwares and Prime have listed i3core+mobo at Rs 13500/- and Rs 13600/- respectively. Is there any cheaper compatible mobo if I were to settle for i3core?

Actually, I wish to buy i3core rig but the high rate of Rs13600/- just for proc+mobo is prohibitive. If the difference between AMD and Intel i3core is about 2K-3K, I will settle for i3core but if it exceeds considerably above 3K then I will consider AMD. But the question comes to AMD Athlon X4 or the superior Phenom, which is shown at a lower cost than its predecessor Athlon.

Surprisingly, the more advance AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6 is listed on theitwares site for Rs 5800/-

and the AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-C is listed for Rs 5200/-

Therefore, is the AMD X4 better buy or the Phenom is better as I can add some amount here and there.

Would you suggest to buy a single stick of 4GB RAM or 2 sticks of 2GB each? What are the benefits of doing so?

Should I settle for Gigabyte or ASUS as I have heard that ASUS after sales service is pathetic.

Phenom II is much better than Athlon...

And if you use any IDE device.... You can get a SATA converter which will cost you around 150 rs.. So you can avoid IDE support...

Let me know if you need any assembler.....

The converters are really very cheap in built, I have wasted my IDE DVD writer trying it to convert to sata by a converter... For time been it may be useful though..

@OP : You wont find IDE mobos for Core i3 (i.e LGA 1155 - H61) IMO. So if you want to use your IDE HDD along with a converter, then I will suggest core i3 2100 with Asus P8H61-M PLUS or GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2-B3

And regarding you doubt between Athlons and Phenoms, Athlon II X4 is obviously inferior to Phenom II X4 ( Difference is the added 6mb L3 cache in Phenoms), But a Athlon II X4 is priced almost similar to Phenom II X2's and in this case Athlon X4 is much better buy coz you have 2 extra physical cores to give you better performance than Phenom II X2 ( I havent considered that the Phenom II X2's will Unlock in a stable quad) ....

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

I was quoted 5000/- for x4 645 (apparently 635,620 aren't available). Looking at Itwares' website, the Phenom II x4 955 costs 5800/- and the Phenom II x4 840 costs 5200/-. Unless I've been quoted way too high a price by both Prime and Itwares for the 645, the other two proccy's seem more appealing.

Would the intex psu still suffice for these?

Also, for my usage (Browsing- Youtube

Desktop Processing

Occasional Movies) - would there be any noticeable difference between the Athlon X2, X4 and i3?

AFAIK, No you wont be seeing any noticeable difference in performance between Athlon x2, x4 and i3 considering your use. Yes Phenoms are really appealing at the price they are sold.

2 sticks of 2gb is better as it performs better and also at times if one stick fails, you would still have your system running ;) whereas if one 4gb stick fails, you will have to wait for replacement...

I have a really old mobo and i connected my SATA hardrive to my IDE port using a converter! I've been using it for 1+ years and there is nothin wrong with it. Besides it just cost me 300rupees.

Back