basic Router

bazinga

Disciple
Hello people! I have decided to to buy a new router. Budget is around 1k. It should be a basic router(i guess that what's possible at that budget:p). The signal strength should be good and its for home use. 2-3 laptops + 3 smart phones.
Also, from the phone line, i connect to the modem. Should i take a line from the modem output(one of the four output lines? I have a basic BSNL modem. Dont know the model number), and connect it to the router input? Thats it?
Please help me and make suggestions.

Thank you.:lol:

^ Thats because these are routers and not adsl routers ? the OP would connect the lan cord from his modem to the router

^ Thats because these are routers and not adsl routers ? the OP would connect the lan cord from his modem to the router

Thats it? No other connection required?? And yes, i will look into the aforementioned routers. Is the connectivity good? Also, can it take like 7-8 parallel connections at once?
One more thing, using these many connections in parallel, how will it affect speeds individually? Like for each person using it?

I think you can look into Qos for that. each router has different capabilities so check reviews before buying

Thats it? No other connection required?? And yes, i will look into the aforementioned routers. Is the connectivity good? Also, can it take like 7-8 parallel connections at once?
One more thing, using these many connections in parallel, how will it affect speeds individually? Like for each person using it?

It would work well I guess, but if you have so many devices to connect why not increase the budget and get a 300 mbps router, if you are talking about connecting these devices through LAN, then no need to worry, but your bandwidth would be divided among these
AFAIK Qos is for type of traffic going through the network, if OP wants to restrict usage on a particular device he will have to use the rule binding feature which is available in all routers

Hello, i couldnt buy the router when i posted the question. Hence please look at this link and let me know the best one :
Netgear JNR1010 N150 Wireless Router vs TP-LINK ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Modem Router Black vs D-Link DSL-2520U ADSL2 Ethernet/USB Combo Router vs TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router: Compare Routers: Flipkart.com

Also suggest alternates. Price around 1000 INR. I can shell out little more as well if there is a distinct advantage for the higher priced model

Out of the four options you have posted, the middle two are just modems without wifi functions, out of the rest two i suggest you get the tplink one

Hi.
I have been using the cheapest TPLink router that money could buy. The data transfer speeds over WiFi I get are just 2.5MB/s which I think are very less.

What kinda speeds can I expect if one buys any of the N150 or N300 routers. I wanna be able to access the data on my main file server across my mobile devices.
Also since every mobile device be it a mobile, tablet or laptop support the 802.11 N standard, I was wondering whether you have to setup the router in a specific configuration so as the devices communicate using the highest bandwidth channel or is it taken care of automatically.

Hi.
I have been using the cheapest TPLink router that money could buy. The data transfer speeds over WiFi I get are just 2.5MB/s which I think are very less.

What kinda speeds can I expect if one buys any of the N150 or N300 routers. I wanna be able to access the data on my main file server across my mobile devices.
Also since every mobile device be it a mobile, tablet or laptop support the 802.11 N standard, I was wondering whether you have to setup the router in a specific configuration so as the devices communicate using the highest bandwidth channel or is it taken care of automatically.
Wifi connections are very finicky. I have a 300mbps TP Link router but my old laptop connects at 65mbps so I get around 3-4 mBps. Go to propoerties and see the speeds your device is connecting at.

Can I use a regular wi-fi router with a cable broadband connection too?

Yes you can. But for some ISP's like fivenet, you need to clone your PC's Mac ID i think.

Back