Android Battery backup of new S20 FE 5G

sid41299

Disciple
This is the battery graph over the course of one average day of my usage (for clarification, this is the Snapdragon 865 version. I never knew that they eventually released this version in India). The phone was always in 60Hz mode, a mix of WiFi and mobile data, GPS on, no battery saver mode, and the network was set to 5G/LTE/3G/2G mode as well. I was expecting 1 day of moderate usage, but it just barely eked out 1 day of light usage. Is this normal? Are my expectations too high?

Sorry for starting another thread about my phone so soon, but this is a different topic, so I think it's warranted (mods feel free to smite me down here if necessary).

Screenshot_20221013-232428_Device care.jpg

I dont use social media apps but youtube, reddit, pocket etc. and run it on 120hz all the time...

I get an SOT of around 8 hours...so I guess with games and social media background activity your sot is quite good

But a lot of reviewers say they get 1-day even with the screen set to 120Hz, and I'm definitely not using the phone as much as a reviewer would

But a lot of reviewers say they get 1-day even with the screen set to 120Hz, and I'm definitely not using the phone as much as a reviewer would
You can kill this phone in around seven hours with heavy use. Tap tap does that. Don' let it rest just hammer it non stop.

The question is how much SOT did you get ? if you kill it in 7h and still managed close to that in SOT then the battery is good.

Anything over 6h is good.

Don't leave the phone alone. Keep playing with it. Like constantly. My phone is my only computer. Tap tap on the screen.
Didn't understand this either. I got 7½ hours of SOT
SOT and how long you got matters. This phone has good battery.

If you find its not enough get a power bank or top it up mid day.

I usually charge my phone at two points, 70% or 30%. I never let it get as low as 4%

SOT and how long you got matters. This phone has good battery.

If you find its not enough get a power bank or top it up mid day.
Mate, my point is not that is this isn't enough battery, my point is that my experience is not matching that of reviewer's experiences. The general consensus is that this is a 1 day phone without having to nickel-and-dime with features or use the phone conservatively.

For context, here's how Geekyranjit's unit held up. 120Hz, two SIMs, always-on display off, but literally double the standby compared to mine. That difference cannot come from the Always-on display or the network alone, there's something else going on here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221014-210359.jpg
    Screenshot_20221014-210359.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
For context, here's how Geekyranjit's unit held up. 120Hz, two SIMs, always-on display off, but literally double the standby compared to mine.
SOT he got is 6h50 with a runtime of 1d17h. Battery down to 6%
That difference cannot come from the Always-on display or the network alone, there's something else going on here
A good signal can result in a lower per-hour drain rate whereas a poor one can raise it significantly. Adds up so you get less standby.

Were you stationary or moving around?

What is your ambient temperature? A warmer climate is going to kill the battery sooner. If the phone does anything that heats it up in addition.

If you want to work out your standby drain. Leave the phone alone for at least six hours. Don't touch it.

Screenshot the battery just before you leave it and then do one after. How much % did the battery drop?

I'm definitely not using the phone as much as a reviewer would
Most of them use the phone as any of us would.

Were you stationary or moving around?
A mix of both.
What is your ambient temperature? A warmer climate is going to kill the battery sooner. If the phone does anything that heats it up in addition.
I live in Visakhapatnam, and it's the storm season, so it's actually a little on the cooler side
If you want to work out your standby drain. Leave the phone alone for at least six hours. Don't touch it.
I will see if I can do this. Difficult, but I will try

Sure thing, I will track that tonight
Compare the slope of your graph with his.

He has the steepest drop at the beginning and then it evens out and goes down gently.

Yours starts off gentle and then takes a deep dive after 40%. left. What did you do differently towards the end? Use the phone more I suppose

I went out. Even today my phone hit the 40% mark just before I went out in the evening
If you were in a vehicle then I suppose that's it. But walking around, you get the best signal outdoors.

Ranjit does not mention whether he used mobile data. That's another battery drainer.

I didn't take screenshots, but the battery was at 99/98 at 3am and at 89 at 9am
So that is a 10% drop in 6 hours giving you a standby drain rate of 1.6% per hour.

With the phone sitting there doing nothing. You never touched it. Correct?

Did you manage to find a spot with the best signal in the house and leave it there?

Last edited:
@sid41299
Even if you get SOT of 6hrs no matter in 10 hrs or 24hrs thats too good. Been a while SOTs are thew ays phones performance and battery combinations are measured.
Gone are the old schools days of merely measuring in hours..

Sometime my phone lasts 32-38hrs but SOT is not even 2.5hrs, then I cannot say my phone is great just based on hours as its on standby time mostly when I'm off my phone except doing whatsapp and insta thing!

Now did ya got it?

Last edited:
Back